Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

better double-side velcro/tape

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default better double-side velcro/tape

Hey I am looking for a source for something better to attach my tour pack organizer and my saddle-bag lid organizers.
My HD tour pack lid organizer came with double-sided tape. I followed the instructions cleaning both the tour pack lid with alcohol wipes before installing the organizer. Did not place anything in it for a couple of days and even then nothing more than a cell phone, insurance card. After about 2 weeks it started coming down and in about a month it came completely loose - tape stuck to the lid, not the organizer.
I got my saddlemen saddle-bag lid organizers about two weeks ago before heading to big bend. They use double sided tape with velcro so you can remove the organizers. Cleaned up both the organizer and the lid with several alcohol wipes and then installed the tape and the organizers. Put nothing in the organizers and about a week later they were pulling away from the lid.
So does anyone know of any double-sided tape that will work and work in the extreme temps of Texas driving (100+ degrees).

Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I dont really like sticking velcro on my saddlebags, or anyhting for that matter...that type of glue losses its adhesion qualities with trapped heat. Until they come up with a better way to attach those cool organizers Im not using em.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

3M makes an outdoor version of their doublesided foam tape. It's grey in color and has a red peel strip. It usually holds up a lot better than the usual stuff they include with those parts. Sold at Home Depot.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue with mine. I have the rack on the tour pak like your sig pic and what I did was remove the rack mounting bolts, and put the lid organizer in and bolt thru that using fender washers to distribute the load on the holes. I think I did one or 2 holes at a time so I didn't need a third hand. Double stick 3m trim tape on the edges and it's been good for years.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Hey I am looking for a source for something better to attach my tour pack organizer and my saddle-bag lid organizers.
My HD tour pack lid organizer came with double-sided tape. I followed the instructions cleaning both the tour pack lid with alcohol wipes before installing the organizer. Did not place anything in it for a couple of days and even then nothing more than a cell phone, insurance card. After about 2 weeks it started coming down and in about a month it came completely loose - tape stuck to the lid, not the organizer.
I got my saddlemen saddle-bag lid organizers about two weeks ago before heading to big bend. They use double sided tape with velcro so you can remove the organizers. Cleaned up both the organizer and the lid with several alcohol wipes and then installed the tape and the organizers. Put nothing in the organizers and about a week later they were pulling away from the lid.
So does anyone know of any double-sided tape that will work and work in the extreme temps of Texas driving (100+ degrees).
If you want a permanent way here is how...

When I had my Ultra I had the same issue. What I did was "punch holes" through the organizer where the luggage rack is attached..

Then simply reattach the screws to your luggage rack "through" the organizer. It will never fall again.

No Tape is ever going to stand up to the heat.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Try the 3M double sided foam tape from the auto store, the stuff the auto makers use to hold moldings on the cars.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 AM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jberg
3M makes an outdoor version of their doublesided foam tape. It's grey in color and has a red peel strip. It usually holds up a lot better than the usual stuff they include with those parts. Sold at Home Depot.
+1 on that industrial double stick tape, I get it at Lowes and really like using it for the speakers in my 3/4 helmet, also my street glow switch I mounted on my frame rail below the seat. That stuff is the real deal, other double stick tape is junk

Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Cool on the suggestions. Will see how the holes line up on my tour pak organizer and might try that approach, too. Definitely will be looking for the commercial 3m outdoor tape. I really don't want to throw this stuff (organizers) away and it would be pretty useful, if it would stay connected to the lids.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:19 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want it removable and use the vecro why not attach the stuff to the bag and the lid why not dab a little hi temp gasket adhesive/sealant on the velcro. Even comes in black I have used it on a lot of stuff from car mirrors to door gaskets Even put a boot heel back on with it. Wore the boots out and never had it come loose.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use 3M DualLock (3560). Basically the same stuff you'd use on your iPass / tollway transponder.

Works like a charm. Actually works so well on the mating surface that I had to physically stitch (used heavy nylon shoe thread) to the subject surface (in this case, the HD lid organizers). Drilled a half-dozen small holes per piece, just ran a simple stitch and a tight knot.

The extra-nice part is that they're removable... I used four pieces per organizer and keep some fairly heavy stuff in them (including a flashlight, bug spray, bug slide, batteries, lighter, emergency nicotine stick supply, "registration wallet" -- And that's just on one side.

Clean with "real" alcohol (96% iso or eth), install quickly, go riding.

If I get a chance, I'll snap a pic and post it...

Quick Reply: better double-side velcro/tape