Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RoadGlide Windshield Trim

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Gotastreetglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RoadGlide Windshield Trim

2012 RoadGlide Ultra.
Trying to put a 12 inch windsplitter windshield and the new black trim piece on it.
Trim piece bolts will not bite into the welll nuts.
Bolt to short?
Take off windshield rubber on bottom ?

Seriously do not know what to do.
Might have to have the dealer install.
Seems like a waste though, such a little easy looking part.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 AM
HarleyArcher
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The ws trim is simply the biggest PIA piece of equipment you will install on your RG. I have the Yaffee trim and fight the hell out of it every time. Honestly the trim really isn't worth it and I wish I would have not spent the money. Some people are having issues with them rubbing the paint on the outer fairing. I personally have not seen that with mine yet but you may want to just take it back and not use it at all. Check out www.roadglide.org if you want some more info about your bike. Bryan

Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 on returning it and saving your $. They usually are a PIA to install and dount always fit if you have an after market shield or wellnuts.

Cee Bailey recommends not using them with their shields and mount system.

IMO most of the after market shield without the slots look fine without the trim or even a gasket. if you want to use a gasket , rubber trim check out X Trim it work well for the bottom of the shield and stays in place.

On my bike I dont use either now.

Pictures are with X Trim and with nothing.

Attached Thumbnails RoadGlide Windshield Trim-sd-bars.jpg   RoadGlide Windshield Trim-windshield-sd-close.jpg  
Old 05-10-2014, 06:15 AM
MurphyPeoples
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an update to this post, I just bought a 2013 Road Glide a week ago and went by my local HD dealer to try out some wind splitter fairings. Went with the 12" - bought it and the HD RG Chrome Wind Shield Trim Kit 58519-07A. I had my friend with me, who is a maintenance engineer and jack of all trades. We thought we'd knock out mounting the trim kit in 15 minutes right there in the dealer parking lot.

An Hour and a half later we had the kit boxed back up and took it back inside for a refund. There was NO WAY to make the kit fit without extra "off set" bolts (#8 in the kit) the kit needed to come with two extra. (It only comes with TWO.) We tried every bolt combination placement possible. The only way the trim was going to match up to the fairing holes was one of two ways:

1. For the kit to come with FOUR instead of TWO off center bolts or
2. Take a rat tail file to the trim itself and "oval out" the bolt holes to give more space for the screws.

I went inside the dealership to buy a couple of extra offset bolts, but they aren't sold separtely! Also to get extra off set bolts you have to buy the entire trim mounting hardware kit, which ran another $35.00 and was not in stock.

For the price of probably $0.50 cents, Harely should put two extra off center bolts with this kit. It would probably get fewer complaints.
Murph

Last edited by MurphyPeoples; 05-10-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:21 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Bah! Don't need no stinking' trim! I swap out one of my 3 windshields a lot depending on if I'm riding solo, 2-up, or long distance. First suggestions to buy a kit with the longer bolts and larger well nuts. You can get the well nuts at a good hardware store pretty cheap. That will save you from having to remove your fairing to get the factory well nut(s) that fell in! The longer bolts will save you from some aggravation as well. But... you should be able to push down pretty hard on your windshield allowing for the bolts to bite. The windshield do flex a lot and the two on either side of center will not bite unless you push the shield in about 3/4".

Click here for the kit I got from Cee Bailey's...

Last edited by yzergod; 05-10-2014 at 09:26 AM.