Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting a 2012 Street Glide...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Switchblade906
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting a 2012 Street Glide...

So im in between a Ducati Monster 1100 or the street glide and want to know your opinions on it.

I will be using this as 70% daily commuter if that makes sense lol

Also i have never rode anything this big or heavy but everyone at the HD dealer tells me they handle very well but I'm not to sure i can believe everything they say.

What else can you tell me about this bike and if you think its right for me.

Thanks

Old 04-10-2012, 07:44 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 161 Posts

Nobody else knows what's right for you. But here's my opinion. I have ridden both bikes and own the streetglide. The only 2 things the Ducati has going for it are speed and performance styling. But for comfort and usefulness the Harley wins every time. And it has tons of style in a completely different way. Around town the riding position of the Ducati is murder. Unless you take advantage of the performance the Ducati is a waste for commuting. I had a sportster before the streetglide and find the handling much more effortless. No bike will do everything, but the streetglide does a lot of things well

Old 04-10-2012, 07:46 PM
fistbump
Novice

would your insurance be the same for both bikes? fistbump.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:49 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

I couldn't believe how well the SG handled the first time I threw a leg over one. They look heavy and intimidating but they handle very well. Now lets face it, it is an 800lb bike that is meant for comfort and not really speed. It won't eat the curves like your Duc, but I think you will enjoy the feeling. Take one out for a test ride, or better yet, rent one for the weekend.

Jim

Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Switchblade906
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cncmike
Nobody else knows what's right for you. But here's my opinion. I have ridden both bikes and own the streetglide. The only 2 things the Ducati has going for it are speed and performance styling. But for comfort and usefulness the Harley wins every time. And it has tons of style in a completely different way. Around town the riding position of the Ducati is murder. Unless you take advantage of the performance the Ducati is a waste for commuting. I had a sportster before the streetglide and find the handling much more effortless. No bike will do everything, but the streetglide does a lot of things well
Thanks, I think that the HD is going to suite me better then the Ducati. Im not going to be racing anything just going to work and school.

Originally Posted by fistbump
would your insurance be the same for both bikes? fistbump.
Im guessing so being that the HD is 8 grand more then the Ducati lol

Old 04-10-2012, 07:53 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

I own both and the comparisons are night & day, but I would never ride my Duc as a daily communter. I take it out on the twisties to relieve some stress.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Ghostman574
Advanced

Coming from riding sports bikes I was surprised at how well the SG handled. From a commuting perspective, splitting traffic is doable...just have to watch out for those trucks with elephant ears side view mirrors.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 PM
MADDOG187
Road Master

there not even similar bikes , there worlds apart ,
how did you come to a choice between those 2 ?
the monster is a great bike , but the engine sounds like a tin of nails compared to a Harley ,
the ducati , will **** all over the SG in every department except touring and depreciation ..
but its a funny choice to make , like a coupe and a limo

Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Might be a little early to say this but I think I would wait and see what the 2013's have to offer. Just a few months. If the 2013's don't do it for you, the '12's will be discounted a little once the '13's hit the floor.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 PM
990rtracer
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

For the intended usage got to go with the SG, It will most likely hold it's value better as well? I am on my 2nd Harley and sold the 1st one for $500 less then I bought it for after owning it for 2 years and 10,000 miles later so I can't complain. I would find a clean used Ducati for a second bike to mix in when needed that is what I do with the other bike in my sig. (Which is still worth what I payed for it in'04, I might add). ;-)

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about getting a 2012 Street Glide...-img_20120406_173453.jpg  

Last edited by 990rtracer; 04-10-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a 2012 Street Glide...