Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant on Harley (pissed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Rant on Harley (pissed)

My first Harley was a 07 RKC, had to get the IDS to take the stress out of the drive train and stop the noise, only put 35 k on that bike before I went to an 09 Ultra with ABS. The 09 Ultra issues, 4 front wheel bearings, 3 compensators, 1 stator. Just traded the 09 at 50 k miles for a 12 Ultra limited. I am on a ride out to Arizona from Miami, as I pull into Mesa my batt light, check engine light comes on and I notice volt gauge indicates 10 V, pulled into hotel called dealer and they told me to bring it over this morning, I show up at Chesters and they tell me that it probably is the regulator and they ran out of them from very high demand on the new touring bikes, and Harley has them on back order trying to redesign or fix the issue. They sent me over to Chandler who showed in stock on their computer, granted it s the current fkd up part number but I cant wait for Harley to get their issue resolved while I sit 2500 miles from home. The dealers are good but Harley design and engineering is wanting at best. I am pissed, really pissed, I am contemplating riding across town to the Kawi dealer and buying a Concourse. Either way, I think this might be my last Harley.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:01 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,488 Likes on 8,428 Posts

I have read many post like this here on the forum and I scratch my head. I have rode Harleys for many years and I very rarely had an issue and the few times I did it was not that big of a deal. Plus all of my riding buddies has had the same luck as I have with their Harleys.

Sorry to hear you have had such bad luck with yours. Hope your issues are fixed soon.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While at bike week I was hanging with Rick Fairless and Arlen Ness, I asked them what their current favorite RIDING bikes were... they both replied, Victory.

I asked why,
They both said, the build is amazing and the ride is even better. Rick said he was cruising on a Victory out west and didn't realize that he was doing over 100mph, the mirrors weren't even shaking, until I looked at the speedo..

Im not ditching my Harley, but its easy to see why people are switching brands...issue here, issue there.. stuff that shouldn't be a issue at all!

Old 04-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

There is a known issue for the voltage regulators. Hence the reason for the back order.

If I recall, there was a problem with some between certain production dates.

My 2010 has had no issues, FWIW.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:17 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn Jerry I'm sorry to hear this! Wasn't one of the dealers in AK taking stock parts of a bike to fix issues with the Hoka Hey riders? Maybe you can get some of that service out there.....

Keep up posted!

Old 04-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear it brother, makes me debate trading in for another one.......

Old 04-10-2012, 12:21 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zoozoo
I have read many post like this here on the forum and I scratch my head. I have rode Harleys for many years and I very rarely had an issue and the few times I did it was not that big of a deal. Plus all of my riding buddies has had the same luck as I have with their Harleys.

Sorry to hear you have had such bad luck with yours. Hope your issues are fixed soon.
+1 Zero issues on my '08 and '12, very few issues even on my old shovelheads, but they do require more maintenance and attention, but if you have one, you know the nature of the beast and do the preventive maintenance. Seems like some guys on here have more problems with the newer models then even with the old. Me, personally, have never met anyone in person with such problems, but have met many a guy with over 100,000 miles with no issues other than general wear and tear plus maintenance. I think it seems like a lot becasue they come on a forum and voice their issues, the forum is a very small sampling of the HD community as a whole.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:25 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I am sorry to hear about your bad luck with harleys...I have had 5 over the last 15 or so years and have had no real issues (except a bad battery that left me stranded)...I also looked at the victorys' and I just can't get over the way they look, kind of reminds me of a cross between a hd and gw, with a little george jetson thrown in....and I have heard it is required that you wear penny loafers when you ride one (it may just be a rumor though)...

Old 04-10-2012, 12:25 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
Sorry to hear it brother, makes me debate trading in for another one.......
If I were in your shoes, I think it worth a test ride on a Victory.....

Old 04-10-2012, 12:28 PM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about that. Personally, I've had no warranty problems with any of my Harleys. There is no question that the Harley quality could be improved. I believe you'll find that to be the case with any brand bike you buy. Some are better than others, of course...
Good luck on your problem.

Quick Reply: Rant on Harley (pissed)