Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant on Harley (pissed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 PM
confused
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a 2008 Ultra
Had some warranty work done at the beginning
As it is a 2008 I was thinking I need to start thinking about upgrading
It's value is and will continue to decline
After 2008 some major changes have taken place
But I am thinking of getting a VROD, totally different type bike
The thought of getting another touring Harley and then change the cams, pipes, air mod, stage one, etc..... makes me crazy

OP, sorry for all mess and hopefully happy days are ahead.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:57 PM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 79 CBX snapped the cam and ate itself at 28000 miles, My sons 2006 CRF 250 blew up the first time out, cam chain guide was installed wrong from factory, NO WARRANTY! so any motorcycle you buy can have problems, I realize that when I bought my 2010 ultra there was a possablity of something going wrong and I would probably take the engine apart before I had 5000 miles to modify it (did that) and void warranty but the way I look at it it's my dream bike and not something I'm not going to try to squeese 300.000 miles out of, I know it might have problems but this is my fourth harley and beating the **** out of them for a average of around 50000 miles each I never had a mechanical problem yet. Love my harleys.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:44 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Well, put1200 miles on bilke since the event seems to be charging okay, still pissed and worried about it happening again.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

As my uncle says, bikes are like women they break you down till you need to get a new one.
Its really that simple, if your loyal to a brand and over the years no matter what model you pick it starts to just leave you on the side of the road more often then you ride it. You are no longer are going to depend on it they way you should. So the OP is tired of worrying when out riding, last I checked 99% of us ride because we enjoy it. How can you enjoy something if your constantly in worry about it leaving you in the middle of no-where???

And just like women there are many bikes out there.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 AM
KeeBee
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 1000 miles on mine after getting the regulator replaced. So far it is holding up like a champ. Seems to have something to do with the chrome regulators because there were 3 other orange bikes besides mine in there with fried regulators.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TO34
As my uncle says, bikes are like women they break you down till you need to get a new one.
Its really that simple, if your loyal to a brand and over the years no matter what model you pick it starts to just leave you on the side of the road more often then you ride it. You are no longer are going to depend on it they way you should. So the OP is tired of worrying when out riding, last I checked 99% of us ride because we enjoy it. How can you enjoy something if your constantly in worry about it leaving you in the middle of no-where???

And just like women there are many bikes out there.
And ......some are keepers forever .............. I have a 1979 shovelhead with over 150,000 miles clocked on it and it has only stranded me one time for a throwout bearing failure .......

Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This regulator issue has to be kept in perspective. It does suck that some bad regulators made their way into bikes and that it's taking some time for HD to sort the issue out. However, if it's only a 2012 issue it will be sorted out and HD will pick up the cost of doing so.

My opinion is that it is JUST a voltage regulator. The problem isn't some inherent mechanical problem that's going to destroy the engine and/or require costly repairs at some mysterious time in the life of the bike.

When I was ready to get back into riding, my first choice was actually a BMW R1200RT. However, as I continued doing my research I kept running across accounts of troubles with BMW's technological complexities and their notorious final drive problems. My decision to go with HD was primarily because the engine is still relatively simple, reliable and repairable and I wanted to keep it for a very long time.

If you really want to know about a mechanical horror story, Google Porsche and IMS. For 10 years, Porsche's 911s, Caymans and Boxsters had engines with Intermediate Shaft (IMS) time bombs. the IMS was a weak link and at any time in the life of the car it could go bad. The reasons and conditions for this are still speculation. When it goes bad, the engine is completely destroyed and either you're left with a roller or have to cough up $18,000 for a new engine. To this day Porsche will not admit that their design was flawed and led to these catastrophic engine failures.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 AM
COG
6th Gear

I'll chime in too. I had a '09 BMW R1200RT and finally got fed up with the numerous electrical issues and blown rear drive. Yes everything was covered under warranty, but in and out of the shop many different times and then 3 weeks waiting on the selling dealer to get around to fixing the drive was just too much. I bought my '12 Ultra because I had super service with the local HD shop with my Buell so when it I finally had it with the Beemer I marched down to the shop that treated me so well. Anything mechanical could and usually will have problems, but to me at least, it's how the problems are handled. Say what you will about Harley, but compared to most BMW or Jap shops, they are normally far superior. Also, think Harley repairs/service are expensive, BMW makes HD look like an absolute bargain!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 PM
normcash
1st Gear

Happy with my Harley and my Vic. Have had a bit more trouble with the Harley than the Cross Country but expected that. There's a Victory promotion going on for test rides if you're serious. http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...12challenge100

There's also the Harley it all starts with a test ride video in case you need to get reinspired: http://vimeo.com/39475536

Old 04-18-2012, 06:20 PM
danny54
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I would never buy a bmw, car or bike, nothing but trouble, and way overpriced.

Quick Reply: Rant on Harley (pissed)