Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant on Harley (pissed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingGibson
I agree that there are lemons out there but there are a couple reasons why people are more familiar with Harley problems over Japs/Victory problems. First reason is that there are way more Harley's on the road than Japs/Victory's. So naturally you will hear more about Harley problems. Second is if someone has a problem with their bike, they go searching usually on the internet and then forums to find a fix for their bike or vent about their situation. The guys who are not having problems are not going to start a thread saying, "Hey everything is great on my bike, no problems at all".

I have an 02 Road King Classic that I have owned for two years. It has about 30,000 miles on it and it's been a good bike. I redid the top end because I had some blow-by but honestly I really just wanted to do a big bore kit. The blow-by was minimal.

My friends have all been happy with their Harley's.
Just a question how many Ultra's are there compared to a Goldwing (have to compare apples to apples)? Yes the Wing has had some issues, but the reliability and dealer network is very good. Please a regulator issue? In 2012? Maybe 20 years ago, but not today!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 PM
mac1911
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sooner or later someone will see you riding that Vic. Ha

Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by reesestewww
If I were in your shoes, I think it worth a test ride on a Victory.....
Haha, there's a Victory dealer across the street from Chester's!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just started reading this thread, please don't tell me you even thought about trading your Hog for a Kaw, lol. Well issues can be had with all manufacturers, HD is not immune, and I'm sure HD doesn't make the regulator. I hope your issues are resolved soon. I have to agree with one of the other post, if there were as many GWs or Victory's on the road as HDs, you would hear of a lot more problems, both bikes have their issues. As for me, I'm sticking with HD.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bluffalobob
It's a bummer to be stranded, but the same thing can and does happen to other manufactures, not just Harley.

Here's how: Let's say you're in charge of the supply chain for HD. You forecast selling about 1,000,000 bikes with the new regulator, or roughly 30,000 per month for three years. From past figures, you estimate the failure rate of the the part to be 1% of the install base per month. That means you'll need about 40,000 of the regulators on hand per month to cover warranty and manufacturing (less at the beginning of the manufacturing cycle).

But something is rotten. Six months into production, the failure rate suddenly spikes to 20%! That means you have 36,000 bikes right now needing regulators under warranty, plus another 30K in the pipeline at the factory. Add to that, Engineering has put a hold on future orders of the part until they can figure out what is wrong.

You can see just how easy it is to develop a critical situation for your customers, especially when the failure rate is extremely high. But you're still right, it sucks when it's you that is stuck by the side of the road.
And they are made in China (I'm guessing here)...not known for quality anything!!!

Old 04-12-2012, 02:35 AM
TheBig-O
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A word to the wise : All you people that have 2012 Ultra's with black regulators, trade them in now before it's to late.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
And they are made in China (I'm guessing here)...not known for quality anything!!!
Here is a scary statement, takes me back a loooonnnggg time ago (back in the 50/60's) when Japan started to flood our country with products. Now I think it is fair to say that pretty much if it comes from Japan it is viewed as quality.

My point is this, we as a country have to continue to raise the bar so we don't allow China to pass us. They may meet our "older heights", but we always need to be one to two steps ahead or we will see our position fall quickly. Ok, I will demount the soap box!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 AM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes
Arlen Ness has a huge financial stake in victory and you believe him?

as does Rick Fairless as he is a Victory dealer. I'm sure they are very good bikes. I would love to own an 8-ball but I am not giving up my ultra Ltd.

I've owned 3 Harleys and never had one ounce of problems. Sorry for the OP bad luck.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:06 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to heck with raising the bar,,when Americans are no longer ashamed to work a swing shift in a plant and stop dreaming of a house in the Hamptons and a luxury sedan in the 4 car garage things will get back to normal.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:04 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,657 Likes on 2,537 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
My first Harley was a 07 RKC, had to get the IDS to take the stress out of the drive train and stop the noise, only put 35 k on that bike before I went to an 09 Ultra with ABS. The 09 Ultra issues, 4 front wheel bearings, 3 compensators, 1 stator. Just traded the 09 at 50 k miles for a 12 Ultra limited. I am on a ride out to Arizona from Miami, as I pull into Mesa my batt light, check engine light comes on and I notice volt gauge indicates 10 V, pulled into hotel called dealer and they told me to bring it over this morning, I show up at Chesters and they tell me that it probably is the regulator and they ran out of them from very high demand on the new touring bikes, and Harley has them on back order trying to redesign or fix the issue. They sent me over to Chandler who showed in stock on their computer, granted it s the current fkd up part number but I cant wait for Harley to get their issue resolved while I sit 2500 miles from home. The dealers are good but Harley design and engineering is wanting at best. I am pissed, really pissed, I am contemplating riding across town to the Kawi dealer and buying a Concourse. Either way, I think this might be my last Harley.
Definitely buy a Concourse, or any other rice. They NEVER have any issues!

Quick Reply: Rant on Harley (pissed)