Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant on Harley (pissed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:51 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

The IDS was a 07 specific issue on the touring bikes something relating to the 96 inch motor and the 6 speed cush drive.

Originally Posted by simpkinst
"I had to get the IDS to take the stress out of the drive train and stop the noise"

this is one of the strangest things I have read in a long time. you HAD to get IDS? really?
what strain and noise? Not being a dick - just dont understand this at all. Never heard of anyony having to buy or trade.

It sucks that you've had these issues. This is a reason why I will never get rid of my 2006 FLHX. No a single problem to date. not one. I also never thought I "needed" IDS.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:57 AM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
My first Harley was a 07 RKC, had to get the IDS to take the stress out of the drive train and stop the noise, only put 35 k on that bike before I went to an 09 Ultra with ABS. The 09 Ultra issues, 4 front wheel bearings, 3 compensators, 1 stator. Just traded the 09 at 50 k miles for a 12 Ultra limited. I am on a ride out to Arizona from Miami, as I pull into Mesa my batt light, check engine light comes on and I notice volt gauge indicates 10 V, pulled into hotel called dealer and they told me to bring it over this morning, I show up at Chesters and they tell me that it probably is the regulator and they ran out of them from very high demand on the new touring bikes, and Harley has them on back order trying to redesign or fix the issue. They sent me over to Chandler who showed in stock on their computer, granted it s the current fkd up part number but I cant wait for Harley to get their issue resolved while I sit 2500 miles from home. The dealers are good but Harley design and engineering is wanting at best. I am pissed, really pissed, I am contemplating riding across town to the Kawi dealer and buying a Concourse. Either way, I think this might be my last Harley.
"I had to get the IDS to take the stress out of the drive train and stop the noise"

this is one of the strangest things I have read in a long time. you HAD to get IDS? really?
what strain and noise? Not being a dick - just dont understand this at all. Never heard of anyony having to buy or trade.

It sucks that you've had these issues. This is a reason why I will never get rid of my 2006 FLHX. No a single problem to date. not one. I also never thought I "needed" IDS.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 AM
KeeBee
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer has a few 2012 touring bikes sitting with bad voltage regulators. Mine went out at less than 500 miles. Service manager thinks Harley pulled the Voltage regulators from the parts shelves to try to figure out whats going on with them.

I got really lucky with mine they had another 2012 come in with a damaged fender and they used the voltage regulator off that bike on me. Lucky it fixed my problem.

They did this with 6 bikes total and it only fixed 3 out of the 6. The other 3 had defective brand new voltage regulators.

Had zero problems out of my 2011 Softail Deluxe.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 AM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Three HDs and no issues. Including a 95 FXD, RK Custom 2007 and now 2011 FLHX. I have never even used the warranty on any of the three...

Try another brand!

Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 PM
moonie48
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oasis03
OH bring back the good ole days of burned points ,flooding carburetors,kickstarters and marginal brakes. Get over it and count your blessings.
Shouldn't have to get over it this is 2012 not the 60-70

Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
The IDS was a 07 specific issue on the touring bikes something relating to the 96 inch motor and the 6 speed cush drive.
The IDS was an HDForums specific issue related to a bunch of whiners that had no clue what they were talking about!

Old 04-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Phadreus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it to be so baffling when I hear people complain about “design issues” with proven technology in this day and age. Technology offers us SO many design aids these days to prove out most problems before even building prototypes. Add that to the collective knowledge available on proven pieces of technology at our disposal and it truly is baffling how HD can have design issues on something such as a voltage regulator. How long has this piece of technology been in existence? Crazy!

I’ve worked as a designer of automated machinery most of my 25+ year career. Most machines we design are prototypes, one off, first time designs and we still nail it first time through on most occasions. We would be crucified if we flubbed a design that we are simply copying or evolving from a previous design. There’s just so few excuses for design issues in this day and age.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:30 PM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So has anyone confirmed that it's the stock black ones going bad, and no issues with the chrome ones? Wouldn't make much sense unless they were sourced from different manufacturers. If it is the design, and not the manufacturer, it wouldn't make any difference at all.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

You should change to another brand as it is apparent that your bikes hate you.

I too ride all over the North American Continent on Harley's. I have an 07,08,09, two 10's and two 12's. Every thing from a Sportster to a Vrod and even a Buell.

Absolutely none have ever broke down from Key West to Alaska.

Three sets of wheel bearings in one bike! What do you do bang them in with a hammer?

Your bikes must suffer severe abuse as your experience is way beyond any probable outcome on the average experience.

Get a Wing or a BMW. That is if you can't stand the recalls that they have had like three model years of Wings with bad welds on the aluminum frame or final drive problems on the BMW.

If you are not happy leave. Bye Bye!

Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

The only thing that is going to change your mind is to trade. No says you have to ride a Harley, it is a personal choice to ride one or not ride one. If I had as many issues as you have I would either give up motorcycles or find a nice BMW/Vic.

Quick Reply: Rant on Harley (pissed)