Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant on Harley (pissed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I feel your frustration Jerry and I was there when it happened in AZ .. I happen to know the way you ride and the kind of miles you put in .. Maybe a few might get a clue if they read our location and that this happened in AZ .. I feel blessed with my 09 Ultra although it has had it's share of issues as well although never been stranded with any .. Actually laughing at a few of the remarks and am sure you can too for the most part, most here could realize it's no picnic to be over 2,000 miles from home and stuck in the shop with a new bike .. I remember the 09 well and the nightmares it gave you if I were to have this happen 2 bikes in a row to me would probably be looking at Victory or BMW Myself .. Good Luck whatever you decide ..

Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Arlen Ness likes pretty much anything ugly.

My son has a 2004 BMW K1200GT and is constantly wondering when the final drive will crap out or when he'll develop that internal oil leak that results in a $2500 repair that includes an entire new clutch.

Some think the 'Wing is the most trouble free bike but I sure wouldn't trade my '08 EGC for one.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:50 PM
icepick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading this thread since it started and keeping up with it every so often. Not trying to hijack the thread, but was 2006 the last good year for HD? I don't get the chance to ride as much as most of you, but have been on several long trips and tons of short rides since I bought my 2006 RKC new, and have not had a single problem with it. I guess what I am saying is, since the 2007 models came out with all the driveline noise (that dreaded 5th gear whine I think it was called) and the problems with the leaner calibrations since, it seems like there have been a lot of problems, more than 2006 and prior. Just saying, but would like to know what you guys think....

Old 04-30-2012, 04:50 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I am keeping this bike Jay, next trip I will carry a replacement regulator. I agree Jim Dawson, hehehe, never seen the " beauty " in the Ness thing myself. I am not pissed that I had an issue on a new bike I am pissed that Harley knows its an issue and is not issuing a Service Bulletin or being pro active on this issue or the other issues I mentioned in first and subsequent posts in this thread. Bad engineering and design.

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
I feel your frustration Jerry and I was there when it happened in AZ .. I happen to know the way you ride and the kind of miles you put in .. Maybe a few might get a clue if they read our location and that this happened in AZ .. I feel blessed with my 09 Ultra although it has had it's share of issues as well although never been stranded with any .. Actually laughing at a few of the remarks and am sure you can too for the most part, most here could realize it's no picnic to be over 2,000 miles from home and stuck in the shop with a new bike .. I remember the 09 well and the nightmares it gave you if I were to have this happen 2 bikes in a row to me would probably be looking at Victory or BMW Myself .. Good Luck whatever you decide ..

Last edited by masterblaster; 04-30-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Just for the record on my 09 Dunlop 407 Front Cupped at 5K had to be replaced .. Inner Primary seal 15K had to be replaced.. Recall on Rear Brake switch had to be replaced and while had it at the shop did enough bitching they replaced the clanging OEM Compensator with an SE at 30 K .. at 40 K the ABS front sensor strap broke .. All these repairs were done under Warranty.. At 51K was so scared of all the nightmare stories on 09 Wheel bearings replaced them all Front & Rear, although they were OK felt better going with the updated bearings .. Now at 58 K hope all is well for a while ..

Last edited by JayStronghawk; 05-01-2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-30-2012, 05:15 PM
mrjimbo
Tourer

Jerry, Are you sayin' you won't be riding the Hoka Hey with this new one? Glad all the crew that went West are back safe! Sure hope that bike straightens up for you.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

No more Hoka Heys, too many corporate lawyers involved. Will be doing some track days on the sport bike instead and finish of my map on the Ultra/Dyna.

Originally Posted by mrjimbo
Jerry, Are you sayin' you won't be riding the Hoka Hey with this new one? Glad all the crew that went West are back safe! Sure hope that bike straightens up for you.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 PM
francisac
Intermediate

I had two Vics and loved them both, but traded them in on 02 Ultra Classic. Great bike just rode 600 miles to Louisiana, then 450 miles to Bowling Green. No problems, i didnt even check the oil. With all the problems with the newer stuff i think i will stick with the 02 and save my money. 12,000 miles in 4 months and bike purrs like a kitten.

Attached Thumbnails Rant on Harley (pissed)-img_1110.jpg  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:01 PM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP, I know it sucks to get stranded and experience problems. However, my thought is simply this; you can have problems with any bike, cage, whatever. I don’t remember reading any posts about anyone having problems with the regulators; maybe I’m living under a rock. My 10 Limited is obviously 2 years old now, not one single problem. I guess just as soon as I have my first problem I need to go back to a Suzuki Cruiser. BTW, I had my share of problems with the Suzuki…

So what is the best bike to get? Victory, Honda… what? Someone throw me a bone so I will know what to get the next time.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MADHOG
To the OP, I know it sucks to get stranded and experience problems. However, my thought is simply this; you can have problems with any bike, cage, whatever. I don’t remember reading any posts about anyone having problems with the regulators; maybe I’m living under a rock. My 10 Limited is obviously 2 years old now, not one single problem. I guess just as soon as I have my first problem I need to go back to a Suzuki Cruiser. BTW, I had my share of problems with the Suzuki…

So what is the best bike to get? Victory, Honda… what? Someone throw me a bone so I will know what to get the next time.

There have been an increasing number of issues with the regulators on the 2012 bikes, the MoCo and the dealers are aware, and as Jerry points out they haven't done much to be proactive about it............

Quick Reply: Rant on Harley (pissed)