Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006 | 07:27 PM
52edub
|
Tourer
Default Cruise Control

I just spent a couple of days leisurely installing HD's cruise control and fog lights on my 2006 Street Glide. After having a lot of fun putting the right hand control back together I tested the system before buttoning up the fairing. The red cruise control indication isn't coming on at the speedo. The cruise control switch has power indicated (illuminated). I checked the fuse and it is good and brakes illuminate so I am slightly stumped. Might have to pull the ignition switch and check under the fairing cap to check the fairing connector. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
matt[/align]

Old 12-29-2006 | 07:38 PM
mcb
Tourer
Default RE: Cruise Control

Not too sure on this, but I think the light will only come on at speed at which the control takes over. Again, not too sure on it, but that is what came to mind.

Old 12-29-2006 | 11:06 PM
shrinemotorman
6th Gear

On the 07 FLHTCU, the redcruise symbol (cruiseOFF ) and the greencruise symbol (cruiseON/activated) is in the tachometer and not the speedo.Neitherred or greencruise control symbolslight up when the cruise control switch is in the off position.

Old 12-30-2006 | 03:48 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: shrinemotorman

On the 07 FLHTCU, the redcruise symbol (cruiseOFF ) and the greencruise symbol (cruiseON/activated) is in the tachometer and not the speedo.Neitherred or greencruise control symbolslight up when the cruise control switch is in the off position.
This is the same on the 06 FLHT and should be on all in the same year group. I suspect there is a loose conector or malfunction somewhere. Go back thru and really check all the plugs.

Old 12-30-2006 | 12:16 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

The red/orange indicator should illuminate any time the cruise switch and ignition/acc are on, and will turn green when activated. Go check the three pins you inserted in the 12-point switch connector. IIRC, the red goes in pin 5, black (ground) in 12, and the other one in 4. Double-check the manual on that. Make sure each pin is seated properly.

Go through the initialization procedure and see if it works, although you should be able to get an orange indicator immediately after installing. The LED is in the tach on my '07 SG, but in the speedo on some models (Ultras, I think).

Old 12-30-2006 | 12:36 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

think its in tach as well on ultra. when I first started to put pins in 12 pt connector for switches I just tried to shove them in holes but did not seem to go in smooth. after closer inspection I notice connector opens up on both sides(flap) on male end using finger nails. they then went in easy and seated better. Did you do it this way?

Old 12-30-2006 | 11:25 PM
FLWanderer
Cruiser

This topic has been run several times......at the top of page do a search on "cruise control"...you'll
find alot of good info. You have to do an init first....but need to also do roll-off setup...check your
manual......or look at search info accordingly....

I am having trouble getting the search to work.....you might try it.....check my post..it should have
all the answers your looking for.

Old 12-31-2006 | 12:20 AM
fryeca
Tourer

52edub,

Just installed the Cruise set-up on my 2006 SG two days ago...

I went out to the garage to check when the Cruise Control light actually comes on.

1. Ignition Switch to on
2. Fairing Cap Cruise Switch ON
3. RED light ON Tach.

1. Ignition Switch to ACCESS
2. Fairing Cap Cruise Switch to ON
3. NO light on Tach.

It seems if you have NO light in either sinario you may have a miss-wire at the fairing cap connector.

Old 12-31-2006 | 12:26 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: voodoodrug

think its in tach as well on ultra. when I first started to put pins in 12 pt connector for switches I just tried to shove them in holes but did not seem to go in smooth. after closer inspection I notice connector opens up on both sides(flap) on male end using finger nails. they then went in easy and seated better. Did you do it this way?
(I guess you're asking me....)

No, I didn't do it that way, but you did it the right way. I just crammed them in with a small screwdriver instead, and didn't notice the right method 'til I stumbled upon it in the service manual later on. They did not go in easy, but I made sure they were seated properly, and they apparently are since everything works.

Old 12-31-2006 | 12:32 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: fryeca

52edub,

Just installed the Cruise set-up on my 2006 SG two days ago...

I went out to the garage to check when the Cruise Control light actually comes on.

1. Ignition Switch to on
2. Fairing Cap Cruise Switch ON
3. RED light ON Tach.

1. Ignition Switch to ACCESS
2. Fairing Cap Cruise Switch to ON
3. NO light on Tach.
Ditto for mine.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control