Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Amp Install Question...Sorry!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 06:19 AM
UltraDune
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Amp Install Question...Sorry!

Sorry if this topic is beat to death but I searched and couldn't find an answer. I have the RF PBRX4, Sony head-unit, fairing and fairing lower speakers, so 4 altogether. Power lead is good, so is ground. Now this is where my brain fried at midnight looking at all the wires!! The 2 upper fairing speakers, we cut the (+) and (-) just before the speaker. The leads from the head-unit now get soldered to the (+) and (-) of the adaptor I cut the RCA's off of and plugged into the 'input' side of the amp, and my other adaptor soldered to the (+) and (-) gets soldered to the leads going to the speaker and plugged into the 'output' side of the amp, correct? This is what I did and no dice!! I'm no car audio expert but am I missing something really simple or am I completely backwards with the wiring? Gains were in the middle, didn't touch any other setting apart from switching back and forth from 2ch to 4ch since I thought lets get the upper speakers working and then wire the lowers. Just put chrome lower on and mono-tubes and it was a piece of cake compared to this...what am I missing? Any help is really appreciated!!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:36 AM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You got it right. The original wire to the speaker goes to the input side of the amp and the output wires now plug into the speakers. Is the power light on the amp?
How were the speakers wired? Are they in series or are you wiring direct to each speaker?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:55 AM
UltraDune
Cruiser

Yep, power light is on on the amp. I wired each speaker direct. Cut the factory source wires, source side to input, and speakers on the output side. Will ck all the connections again, was a late night and maybe I have missed something simple. Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:58 AM
UltraDune
Cruiser

Should the power light be on on the amp regardless of the bike ignition being on? And when you say 'series' as in taking the both front (+)'s and (-)'s soldering together and then onto the adapter wires? Sorry if this seems basic stuff but I have to be missing something or perhaps I have a bad amp.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:31 AM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Disregard the in series. Direct is the way you should go. The amp power should not be on when ignition is off. You also don't need to run the remote lead from the amp. It is supposed to power on by getting it's signal from the speaker wire.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 AM
jb27
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 2ch/4ch switch on the amp should be on the 2ch setting. This switch is on the 'input' side of the amp, so I'm pretty sure it is telling the amp how many channels the input is. That is how I have it set up on my street glide with stock head unit and speakers in the fairing and lowers and it works. As far as the light being on on the amp, I believe that would depend on whether or not your stereo is on. I'm not sure about the Sony head unit, but for the factory head unit, the outputs (that originally were wired to the fairing speakers) act as line-level inputs into the amp, so the amp turns on/off when it senses an output from the stereo. If you use the RCA inputs for the amp, i think that is when you have to use the switch for the amp to manually tell it when to power the amp on/off.

Can anyone confirm?

Old 04-10-2012, 11:35 AM
UltraDune
Cruiser

Thanks jb27 for the reply. Will ck when home this evening. Just out of curiousity, since you are using the stock head unit, and have the amp set to 2ch, do you have the 'rear' speaker outputs activated on the head unit or would this even make a difference?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:20 PM
06-flhtpi
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any sound coming out? I just hooked up the same amp up today. When I first tried it not much sound coming out the rears. I changed the Lp AP HP for the rear and that fixed my problem. I had the rear on the HP and switched it to AP. Hope this helps.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:09 AM
jb27
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraDune
Thanks jb27 for the reply. Will ck when home this evening. Just out of curiousity, since you are using the stock head unit, and have the amp set to 2ch, do you have the 'rear' speaker outputs activated on the head unit or would this even make a difference?
I don't have the rear speakers activiated on the head unit. As I understand it, to use the head unit's fader, you have to have a HD dealer flash the radio (for a street glide that doesn't come stock with rear speakers). Also, there is some kind of wiring harness (??) that you need to plug into the factory head unit and connect your 'rear' speakers to. I was already in enough over my head with just the amp/speaker install so I didn't want to bite off any more.

I suppose it may be nice to be able to adjust the volume levels between the fairing and lowers speakers so that it is hitting you evenly. But as long as there is sound and it is clear and loud, at this point that's good enough for me.