Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger comfort - help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005 | 11:53 AM
Retired_Ted
|
Road Warrior
Default Passenger comfort - help

Hi friends - have a quick question. As most of you know, I became the proud owner of an '05 RoadKing in March - (5300 miles so far and I love it). However, my wife of 37 years (she's 59 as I am) has a real problem with the seat even though it's not stock (it's a Corbin - nice and wide). Am I wasting my time trying to make her more comfy? I thought about trading the RK on an Ultra - is the stock seat on the Ultra better than what I have? I really like her to go along with me, but, it gripes me to know she's in pain after 25 miles. It may just be her behind - not sure. (Glad she doesn't read any of this) Advice need - please.

Old 07-29-2005 | 12:04 PM
Loch
Tourer
Default RE: Passenger comfort - help

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

Hi friends - have a quick question. As most of you know, I became the proud owner of an '05 RoadKing in March - (5300 miles so far and I love it). However, my wife of 37 years (she's 59 as I am) has a real problem with the seat even though it's not stock (it's a Corbin - nice and wide). Am I wasting my time trying to make her more comfy? I thought about trading the RK on an Ultra - is the stock seat on the Ultra better than what I have? I really like her to go along with me, but, it gripes me to know she's in pain after 25 miles. It may just be her behind - not sure. (Glad she doesn't read any of this) Advice need - please.
You could buy one of those pillow type seats that come stock on the Ultra and see how she likes that. HD makes a seat called the Road Zeppelin too that is filled with air.

Old 07-29-2005 | 01:23 PM
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Find a place that rents Ultra's, and take her for a ride on one of those, sometime.

I don't expect it'll make much difference. The Road King and the Ultra are nearly the same bike, just one has a fairing and the other doesn't. I'd personally just shop around for different seats, especially from Harley or Mustang. Corbin seats are very firm, and I've noticed that once somebody else's rear breaks it in, they're usually not very comfortable for anybody but that person. If you got it used, it may have already seen some miles under someone else, and that may be why your wife's not very comfy on it.

Check out the Harley Sundowner seats. Also, do you have a sissy bar or some other backrest for her on the Road King?

Old 07-29-2005 | 01:25 PM
rgerber
Road Master

Hi Ted,

IMHO, the stock seat on the Ultra is nasty! Having said that, from my brides position, she loved it! I settled for a Road Zeppelin and now we are both happy. I had a Corbin I loved, but she hated it! I am bot even sure the Road Zep will fit your RK., but making the one on the back happy is a good thing I've learned in over 43 years of riding... Good Luck with your quest!

[IMG]local://upfiles/718/F374D4ED64564DB29232A1E70CDF57FB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-29-2005 | 02:12 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

Take a look at http://www.derbycycles.com/ looks pretty good for comfort but a bit on the expensive side.

Old 07-29-2005 | 04:19 PM
teach
Cruiser

I take it your happy with YOUR sitting spot so here is my suggestion. I just bought my wife an AIR HAWK seat pad, and it works like a charm. I've tried a number of seats to make my wife happy & either she loves it and I hate it or the other way around. I recently put a Sundowner on my Glide and love it, best seat I have found, but as usual the wife hated it (she has to have a pillow seat). Picked up the Air Hawk and she's in love, Ha Ha. I get to keep the seat I like and she is content for hours and hours of riding. There is a guy selling them for $139 on ebay, or any number of places online. Hope this helps.... T

Old 07-29-2005 | 05:45 PM
Retired_Ted
|
Road Warrior

I do have the sissy pad that matches the RK's seat (black studs). Lots of good advice here - I may try the Air Hawk - I had used one on my BMW but it put me too high. It might just be the ticket.

Old 07-30-2005 | 12:13 AM
teach
Cruiser

RT, if the pad is raising you up your adding too much air. According to Air Hawk you should bleed off as much air as possible but no so much that you bottom out on the seat. We've played with my wifes and they are correct it takes little to no air and doesn't appear to raise her up at all, but it sure does relieve all the pressure points. Definitely worth the money in my opinion & I'm not the one using it, LOL. Of course the peace and quiet makes it worth the money for me, Ha Ha... Don't tell my wife I said that, lol......

Old 07-30-2005 | 12:25 AM
buckanddot
Cruiser

My ol' Lady liked the Kuryakyn adjustable foot pegs so much on the Dyna that even with the floorboards, I had to put em on ther RK also. You can see em in this pic just above the floorboards. Big *** seat, and a big *** backrest......if Dot's happy, I may just get lucky.
Name:  DSCN0154.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  110.7 KB

Old 07-30-2005 | 12:55 AM
swb
Cruiser

Most people either love or hate the Corbin seat. My wife and I love our Corbin Dual Touring saddle. I suggest you go to your local dealer and let them put on a couple of their seats on your bike and let your wife sit on each one. As you know, the Corbin seat is a bit hard and your wife may like the softer Sundowner or Pillow seat HD offers.

Quick Reply: Passenger comfort - help