Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you don't have uninsured motorist insurance...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:56 AM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The insurance companies don't like to write UM coverage. They are insuring you for damage by every drunk, uninsured and miminally insured driver, every teenage girl on her phone and every unlicensed driver out there. Your medical coverage DOES NOT cover you for lost wages or earning capacity(future loss wages), loss of enjoyment of life(like sitting in a wheelchair with no sex life forever), pain and suffering, or wrongful death benefits for your wife and children if you die. These damages are huge. Say you are 30 years old and make 30,000 per year. If you can't work for the next 35 years that's basically 30 times 30,000. If your medical bills are 400,000(not unusual) your family is bankrupt and living in a homeless shelter. And the risks for you are greater on a bike than in a cage.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 222 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I go the other way. I have always only carried the absolute minimum liability only coverage that Illinois requires. Back in the day before mandatory insurance I never had any.

Since I have been riding since 1956 and have had multiple bikes since the 70's that is one heck of savings over full coverage.

I have 7 bikes and minimum coverage is $542 for them. Full coverage would be about that for one. So, I am saving about $3K/year.

Insurance is to protect from a catastrophic loss that is not affordable. Since I pay cash for the bikes and even if they all burned up in the garage, I could go out and buy all new and a garage. Therefore I don't need the coverage.

It is not something that I would recommend to the weak of heart.

I pay less than MSRP with my cash purchasing so there is no interest cost. I do my own maintenance and avoid the extended warranties ( which are more correctly service contracts) and only about $80/yr/bike insurance my ownership costs are very low. Since I keep them and don't sell or trade them in, I am even exempt from any depreciation.

I have been doing this since the 70's so if I would have kept a log on the amount saved I am sure that it would amount to at least a couple of bikes by now.

That is part of the reason that I have more $ than my contemporaries who had the same income but wanted "piece of mind".
I agree with you---a penny saved is a penny earned

Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Your post caused me to read up on Michigan insurance law on this. In Michigan, agents are required to offer and inform you of uninsured motorist insurance, and failure to do so puts them at legal risk.

I'd check the law in GA, you might have a case against your agent/agency.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:39 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

All well and good if you have been putting that money saved away in case you get hit. Lets do some math - $3k/year for 40 years is $120K, if you get in a serious accident, the hospital bills and liability hit could be waaayyyy more than that very very easily.

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I go the other way. I have always only carried the absolute minimum liability only coverage that Illinois requires. Back in the day before mandatory insurance I never had any.

Since I have been riding since 1956 and have had multiple bikes since the 70's that is one heck of savings over full coverage.

I have 7 bikes and minimum coverage is $542 for them. Full coverage would be about that for one. So, I am saving about $3K/year.

Insurance is to protect from a catastrophic loss that is not affordable. Since I pay cash for the bikes and even if they all burned up in the garage, I could go out and buy all new and a garage. Therefore I don't need the coverage.

It is not something that I would recommend to the weak of heart.

I pay less than MSRP with my cash purchasing so there is no interest cost. I do my own maintenance and avoid the extended warranties ( which are more correctly service contracts) and only about $80/yr/bike insurance my ownership costs are very low. Since I keep them and don't sell or trade them in, I am even exempt from any depreciation.

I have been doing this since the 70's so if I would have kept a log on the amount saved I am sure that it would amount to at least a couple of bikes by now.

That is part of the reason that I have more $ than my contemporaries who had the same income but wanted "piece of mind".

Old 04-10-2012, 04:57 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
All well and good if you have been putting that money saved away in case you get hit. Lets do some math - $3k/year for 40 years is $120K, if you get in a serious accident, the hospital bills and liability hit could be waaayyyy more than that very very easily.
Yes, that's very true. I had a 45 minute procedure done recently, and spent one night in the hospital. Not a week or more in a coma...bill was over $47,000 for that...something to think about.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:03 AM
blkfalc4
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff W
You did not hit the woman did you? if not, why would you need that coverage to begin with, if you went down your insurance should cover "Your" accident regardless of what started it in action, What if it had of been a Dog you tried to miss? do you need doggy insurance as well? ..sounds like you should have told them you just went down and dont remember it happening, maybe because of the bump to the head? its all in the way you present it to them. Insurance is like doing business with the Mofia, they want to collect and are real happy to do so, but when it comes time to pay, its like pulling teeth and fingernails along with breaking bones.

It's a single vehicle accident. Should be covered by collision protection.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:04 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Question

Quoted wrong person.....

Last edited by Pioneer74; 04-10-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:10 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
It sounds to me that he is only concerned about replacing his bike, not about funding medical bills.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:26 AM
BlueKite
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RBWIDE
Yes, that's very true. I had a 45 minute procedure done recently, and spent one night in the hospital. Not a week or more in a coma...bill was over $47,000 for that...something to think about.
Unbelievable!

I'm glad I live in a civilised country with free health care, even if it means higher taxes.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:36 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueKite
Unbelievable!

I'm glad I live in a civilised country with free health care, even if it means higher taxes.
...Ha!.oh man..that's a good one!...thanks..I needed a good laugh this morning....

Quick Reply: If you don't have uninsured motorist insurance...