Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you don't have uninsured motorist insurance...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 01:50 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffsizemore
If Uninsured isn't on your deck sheet then you don't have the coverage. Make sure that you add this to the policy ASAP! Always review your coverages with your agent and make sure they explain them to you. YOu are not alone because a lot of people know that insurance in most places is required but have no idea how it works and what coverages provide coverage for.

I hope your girlfriend has a speedy recover. If you have any question send me a private email with your phone number and I will call you.
Jeff...but what if one already carries good health insurance? As has been posted by a couple here, isn't the injured's health insurance the go-to coverage and uninsured/underinsured from your company's coverage won't kick in until the healthcare benefits are depleted?

In other words, isn't Uninsured coverage largely redundant then?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Kingers103
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had buddies laugh because I pay way more insurance than they do. Here in IL I'm paying about $550 a year with SF. After reading all of this I feel a little better writing that check.
FatMike I hope you and the GF get better real soon. Glad you're still among us.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:32 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

First, I hope you and your friend recover quickly from this accident.

Second, like a few have already mentioned it to you, I don't see what Underinsured/Uninsured has to do with this particular accident. To the best of my knowledge UI covers damages to your vehicle (or you) involving an identified third-party who is not insured or with limited coverage which doesn't cover all your damages.

In your case, your Comprehensive policy should take care of it. It covers accidents where there's nobody else involved, like if you hit a deer, you have an accident with a hit and run driver, if you crash by yourself or if your bike is stolen or vandalized. You should also have bodily injury which should cover your medical bills

Of course, if you don't have Comprehensive and Bodily Injury, then you're out of luck.

Do I miss something?

Last edited by frenchbiker; 04-30-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 PM
emsdoc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff W
You did not hit the woman did you? if not, why would you need that coverage to begin with, if you went down your insurance should cover "Your" accident regardless of what started it in action, What if it had of been a Dog you tried to miss? do you need doggy insurance as well? ..sounds like you should have told them you just went down and dont remember it happening, maybe because of the bump to the head? its all in the way you present it to them. Insurance is like doing business with the Mofia, they want to collect and are real happy to do so, but when it comes time to pay, its like pulling teeth and fingernails along with breaking bones.

I saw a bumper sticker that said "What is the difference between your insurance company and the Mafia. There is honor in the Mafia"

Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Fat Mike
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
First, I hope you and your friend recover quickly from this accident.

Second, like a few have already mentioned it to you, I don't see what Underinsured/Uninsured has to do with this particular accident. To the best of my knowledge UI covers damages to your vehicle (or you) involving an identified third-party who is not insured or with limited coverage which doesn't cover all your damages.

In your case, your Comprehensive policy should take care of it. It covers accidents where there's nobody else involved, like if you hit a deer, you have an accident with a hit and run driver, if you crash by yourself or if your bike is stolen or vandalized. You should also have bodily injury which should cover your medical bills

Of course, if you don't have Comprehensive and Bodily Injury, then you're out of luck.

Do I miss something?
From what I have learned from all this mess, is...UIM is for medical bills only. The collision, and comprehensive and all the other stuff I DID have is fixing my bike. I have no medical insurance on the policy at all. Period. Even the lawyer my GF retained said the same thing. (and other insurance agents I have talked to) No one (dog) or vehicle was hit. You are right, the UIM kicks in if the OTHER insured vehicle didn't have enough coverage for property and medical. There was a vehicle, but I avoided hitting it, and that party fled the accident. Probably because the driver was an illegal,(trying to be nice here) no license or insurance or all three. One good thing, the GF does not need to have the surgery on her ankle. Thank the lord for that help. It's healing right! The surgeon is amazed at the outcome with her ankle. Her cast will come off next Friday. I should have my bike back Saturday. AND it will not leave the Harley shop until my policy is re-written and I have the most coverage I can get on EVERYTHING!!!!! It's all in place, all I need is for the shop to sign off on it when the bike is ready for delivery to me. Make two phone calls. One to start the new policy and one to cancel the old one. Triple the insurance, and less money than i was paying on the F'ed up policy I had. PM me if you want some thoughts and figures. I don't feel this is the place to do that..

Old 05-04-2012, 08:20 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Glad to know your friend's injuries are not as bad as they sounded at the beginning, and glad to know your bike is almost fixed now.
As for insurance, I do have excellent coverage. In fact, I always carry the max, which is 100K-300K and UI/UM for the same amounts.
I switched to Rider Insurance after getting a quote from them for 1/2 what State Farm used to charge me for the same exact coverage. I'm talking $310/year vs. $600+
The only difference is my deductible is now $500 vs. $250 with State Farm but when I asked State Farm how much my premium would be with a $500 deductible, the answer was $500/year.
Rider doesn't underwrite in all States but if they underwrite in yours, you might want to contact them for a quote.