Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron Cross Repair & Radio Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

You may also want to consider swapping out the riser bolts; they have been known to hit the bottom of the radio chassis causing vibration damage. HD issued a service bulletin and started using the shorter head-style bolts. P/N 12600003.

Carl

Old 04-10-2012, 11:31 PM
razorsedge
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There have also been cases where the front lower engine mount had gone bad and that will cause the fairing brackets to break over time. Take the time and inspect everything. Just a heads up.

When you get your radio back from Iron Cross, they will let you know what caused the radio failure and will also let you know if they noticed chassis damage to the radio from the riser bolts hitting the bottom.

The replacement bolts that the service bulletin Harleypingman refers to are on back order. When I had my dealer run a dealer locater on those bolts earlier this week, not a dealer with 500 miles had them. I re-installed my factory bolts, torqued them down to specs. and the used my dremel tool to taper the heads of the bolts. There is more than enough clearance. BTW, I checked the local "Bolt supply" store as well as Lowes and Home Depot....notta, don't waste your time. The circumfrence (sp?) of the heads on the "new" bolts must still fit inside the recess milled into the handlebar clamp. I'm thinking its a special order bolt HD had made for the retrofit.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
You may also want to consider swapping out the riser bolts; they have been known to hit the bottom of the radio chassis causing vibration damage. HD issued a service bulletin and started using the shorter head-style bolts. P/N 12600003.

Carl
Just did this on mine while waiting for my radio to get back. You can see where the bolt heads had contacted the bottom of the radio slightly.
Here is a link to the service bulletin courtesy of Dawg
http://www.box.com/shared/hsq6z6an9f
and also a couple of pics of my radio showing where it was hitting and the new bolts installed.

Attached Thumbnails Iron Cross Repair & Radio Install Help-sam_0300_converted.jpg   Iron Cross Repair & Radio Install Help-sam_0306_converted.jpg   Iron Cross Repair & Radio Install Help-sam_0307_converted.jpg  
Old 04-21-2012, 07:10 AM
MichiganDave
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The radio came back last Tuesday from Iron Cross(what a great turnaround time from them) and I had the chance Thursday to finally get it put it back in. The radio looks great and for the first time in weeks it actually plays sound through the speakers again. While the radio was out I took the time to replace the riser bolts and I purchased a bracket repair kit from a local guy here so hopefully the HK radio issues are behind me. I just wanted to say thanks to you guys for the great tips along the way. The tool kit from Harbor Freight made the install a snap the riser bolts were something I would have never thought of replacing and the engine mount was good. Now it's time to upgrade the amp.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:37 AM
evhid1
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wanted to say be careful when using these Harbor Freight ball head allen tools. One experience I had was when tighting the bolt the " ball " head broke off and got stuck in the bolt head. What a nightmare getting the bolt out. Seems the steel used in making those tools and necking them down to make the ball end sometimes weakens the narrow part. It didn't seem to me I used that much pressure tighting the bolt to make the end brake off, but just wanted to mention it to give a heads up. ( no pun intended ).

Last edited by evhid1; 04-21-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:48 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rushbass
Here's the tool set you need to get to the hard to reach bolts...

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece...set-67885.html
That's what I used. Piece of cake.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad I found this! Now off to N J my radio goes.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:04 PM
MichiganDave
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallastx
Glad I found this! Now off to N J my radio goes.
You will be glad that you did. Iron Cross is the fix for your HK problems. The weather finally broke again here in Michigan after a long cool snap and I had the chance to take the bike out twice in the last few days. So far so good with the sound cutting out issue. I was actually feeling kind of lost riding the bike not flipping the speaker switch every couple on minutes in order to get the sound back on.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Cross Audio
If the CB module is sent, we will function test it.
If there is no issue with the module, no need to send it
you guys are going to be busy...sending my radio also.