Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 06:57 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Amp Question

With the gain on an amp turned all the way down, and the volume on the radio turned all the way up, what should you hear out of the speakers?

The sound comes from the radio RCA speaker output to the amp RCA speaker input, then from the amp output to the speakers. Seems to me if the gain on the amp it turned all the way down you should hear almost nothing even if the radio volume is turned all the way up.

I just bought an Arc amp and the radio volume gets loud just as without an amp but the amp gain is turned all the way down. If I increase the gain just a little the sound gets louder but it is distorted. Does that sound like a bad amp?

Old 04-08-2012, 07:17 PM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not an expert at all buy I will tell you what I did just recently. Somewhere I read to turn your radio 1/2 way up, then turn the gain until you get the loudest sound that is still crisp. I think my RF went to just under half and then I stopped. In regards to having it at zero and the radio turning up, again no expert but I took that as the amp is just bypassing the sound to the speaker with no affect from the amp itself. Surely you'll get answers from someone more of an expert. Good luck

Old 04-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
With the gain on an amp turned all the way down, and the volume on the radio turned all the way up, what should you hear out of the speakers?

The sound comes from the radio RCA speaker output to the amp RCA speaker input, then from the amp output to the speakers. Seems to me if the gain on the amp it turned all the way down you should hear almost nothing even if the radio volume is turned all the way up.

I just bought an Arc amp and the radio volume gets loud just as without an amp but the amp gain is turned all the way down. If I increase the gain just a little the sound gets louder but it is distorted. Does that sound like a bad amp?
I had the same problem, not saying that I have definitely fixed it, but so far it seems to be working. I turn off the AVC and it made quite a difference. Seemed the faster I went the more distorted it got. Turning off the AVC really helped. It still distorts, but it is extremely loiud.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:51 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by brandss
I am not an expert at all buy I will tell you what I did just recently. Somewhere I read to turn your radio 1/2 way up, then turn the gain until you get the loudest sound that is still crisp. I think my RF went to just under half and then I stopped. In regards to having it at zero and the radio turning up, again no expert but I took that as the amp is just bypassing the sound to the speaker with no affect from the amp itself. Surely you'll get answers from someone more of an expert. Good luck
I've tried that and everything else, finally I turned the gain down all the way but the radio volume still worked and I don't think it should. I am thinking there is a short across the amp.

Originally Posted by Rickl
I had the same problem, not saying that I have definitely fixed it, but so far it seems to be working. I turn off the AVC and it made quite a difference. Seemed the faster I went the more distorted it got. Turning off the AVC really helped. It still distorts, but it is extremely loiud.
I have the Hawg Wired adapter so there is no longer an AVC.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gain is to match the voltage output of the RCA's to the voltage input of the amp. With the gain all the way down, the amp is still at work it just may not be working at it's full capability.

Turn the gain all the way down, turn the radio all the way down, then turn the radio all the way up counting the notches, bars, numbers, or whatever the radio uses to show volume, when it gets all the way up take that number and use say 80-85% of it as the volume. So if the top volume was 30, we now have the gain all the way down, and turn the volume to say 25-26 and then turn up the gain until you start to get distortion, at this point turn it back just slightly. All of this should be done with a good source and the type of music you will use, also set the bass close to flat or +2-3 and the treble +4-6.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:39 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Copyless
The gain is to match the voltage output of the RCA's to the voltage input of the amp. With the gain all the way down, the amp is still at work it just may not be working at it's full capability.

Turn the gain all the way down, turn the radio all the way down, then turn the radio all the way up counting the notches, bars, numbers, or whatever the radio uses to show volume, when it gets all the way up take that number and use say 80-85% of it as the volume. So if the top volume was 30, we now have the gain all the way down, and turn the volume to say 25-26 and then turn up the gain until you start to get distortion, at this point turn it back just slightly. All of this should be done with a good source and the type of music you will use, also set the bass close to flat or +2-3 and the treble +4-6.

Yes, I did that. Knowing how to adjust the amp is not the problem, I know how to do that, and I did do that. But there is something wrong with it. How can the amp pass any sound to the speakers if the gain is turned down all the way. It should not, the gain is not a volume control, but without gain there should be no volume.

With the gain all the way down there should be very little sound, if any, coming out of the speakers regardless of the radio volume setting, correct? I'm just looking for confirmation on this one point before I make the call to return the amp. It might be some other problem but I'm thinking it is the amp.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 PM
zion
Tourer

Originally Posted by jjnoble
Yes, I did that. Knowing how to adjust the amp is not the problem, I know how to do that, and I did do that. But there is something wrong with it. How can the amp pass any sound to the speakers if the gain is turned down all the way. It should not, the gain is not a volume control, but without gain there should be no volume.

With the gain all the way down there should be very little sound, if any, coming out of the speakers regardless of the radio volume setting, correct? I'm just looking for confirmation on this one point before I make the call to return the amp. It might be some other problem but I'm thinking it is the amp.
I think you're right. With the gain zeroed, there should be little if any output. You'd have to max your head unit's volume to appreciate any sound.

Recheck your connections (I'm sure you have, but never hurts to take one more look) and if that's not the issue, I'd agree with you that there's an issue with the amp.

Good luck.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Copyless
Supporter

No it depends on the amp and the radio pushing it, with the gain all the way down on an amp set to receive 4v, and a radio that pushes 4v at the RCA's then the amp would be doing all that it was meant to with the gain all the way down. The gain control is just a Pot, and it's low value is not 0.

I also confirmed the way the gain works in the first reply, and the first line.

This is exactly why I seldom reply to these threads, because someone tries to answer and help out, and do it in layman's terms, then the person asking the question tells the other one how it works. I really don't need a lesson, I finished those 30 years ago when I graduated college for electronic engineering.

I apologize for any confusion and I will now step out, good luck on your set up, and I feel it is probably working just the way it's supposed to, but this is one of those things that is very hard to help with over a computer.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Ignorant=Not having relevant information; and,
Stupid=Having relevant information, but ignorning it.

That said, a great source of information on audio generally, and setting gain specifically, is this site:

http://www.bcae1.com/

On setting amplifier gain:

http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm

Just because the amp gain is zero doesn't mean the volume from the source, in this case the head unit, doesn't pass through the amp to the speakers. If that's your belief, it's simply wrong.

You should probably set the head unit volume at about 3/4 max, then add the gain from the amp.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

PS: There are many subjects about which I am ignorant; and, I try not to be stupid.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 04-08-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:25 PM
zion
Tourer

I'm not claiming expertise here. I just know from past experience, working in radio and in clubs in the past, that with some amps, if the gain is all the way down depending on the set up, you normally wouldn't get any signal. I'll admit to limited experience with mobile sound systems, so as said above, not claiming expertise.... just gave my two cents worth.

Also, after re-reading my own post and those above, what I didn't take into account was my experience was with completely different applications, where your source WAS routed through amps and even pre-amps prior to volume control....so in turn, I stand corrected.

Last edited by zion; 04-08-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Amp Question