Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012 | 03:32 AM
seanrohatyn
|
Novice
Default SE cams

With the screamin eagle cams, wich cams give the higher torque? The higher or lower number cams.

Old 04-08-2012 | 05:59 AM
leachman
Road Captain

what year is your bike? Do you have any other mods done so far? I just installed the 255's in my 08 and they really woke my bike up. I have rinehart slip ons arlen ness air cleaner and run a power commander. I have also just had bike dynoed by Rob's dyno service in Massachusetts. 86.3 hp and 99.4 foot pounds of torque.

Old 04-08-2012 | 06:56 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

255's , 204's , 254e's. This is there tq cams.

Old 04-08-2012 | 07:25 AM
Reaper22
Road Captain

Originally Posted by leachman
what year is your bike? Do you have any other mods done so far? I just installed the 255's in my 08 and they really woke my bike up. I have rinehart slip ons arlen ness air cleaner and run a power commander. I have also just had bike dynoed by Rob's dyno service in Massachusetts. 86.3 hp and 99.4 foot pounds of torque.
Hey Bro, I have almost same setup as you, 08 SG, 255 cams, Arlen Ness BS intake but I have a rinehart 2 into 1, Power commander III, I am gunna have mine dyno'd Tuesday but wanted to know if dyno made a huge difference, I get anywhere from 36 to 41 mpg, I know the cams really woke it up and hope'n dyno adds to that...

Old 04-08-2012 | 07:32 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

What engine do you have? Is it stock?

Also there are lots of other cams out there that are not HD smog cams, much better made than the HD cams, and that can apply the torque where you want it applied. Staying with a Screamin' Eagle product thinking that it will preserve your warranty is, well, not always the case. Anyway, do a little research to find out what is best for your setup. Lots, and lots, and lots of cam threads.

Old 04-08-2012 | 08:08 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by seanrohatyn
With the screamin eagle cams, wich cams give the higher torque? The higher or lower number cams.
Instead of "which cams give the higher torque?," for me the better question would be "At what RPM is the torque realized?" If you have a high torque number that is realized at an RPM where you don't normally ride and is low where you do ride, you may find the effects less than pleasing. I would read as many of the cam threads that you can for help on this topic, as there are many with lots of good feedback.

As for the alleged worthlessness of "EPA-compliant cams," remember that the cam in a 638-hp ZR-1 Corvette passes all EPA regulations, so this status doesn't necessarily translate as worthless or compromising. The important thing is how they run in a given environment, and if they provide the needed performance improvement while also being environmentally friendly compared to something else that shouldn't bother anyone.

I don't think the model number of SE cams (high or low) has anything to do with their characteristics.

Old 04-08-2012 | 09:04 AM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by iclick
Instead of "which cams give the higher torque?," for me the better question would be "At what RPM is the torque realized?" If you have a high torque number that is realized at an RPM where you don't normally ride and is low where you do ride, you may find the effects less than pleasing. I would read as many of the cam threads that you can for help on this topic, as there are many with lots of good feedback.

As for the alleged worthlessness of "EPA-compliant cams," remember that the cam in a 638-hp ZR-1 Corvette passes all EPA regulations, so this status doesn't necessarily translate as worthless or compromising. The important thing is how they run in a given environment, and if they provide the needed performance improvement while also being environmentally friendly compared to something else that shouldn't bother anyone.

I don't think the model number of SE cams (high or low) has anything to do with their characteristics.
Yeah and ignorant people are always making blanket statements of Screamin' Eagle cams being smog cams. Not even remotely true. According to my Screamin' Eagle catalog, only the SE255 and SE254e are certified for street use. ALL of the other Screamin' Eagle Cams are "For race application only".

I'd agree with above advice and also suggest to the OP that he read a lot of cam threads before buying. Lots of people recommend cams and have no clue why the cams perform as they do. Once you can look at a cams specs and understand what kind of performance it will give, you are ready to do your cam job.

Old 04-08-2012 | 09:12 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member

Another thing to remember/think about when comparing Harley cams vs the aftermarket cams. Nobody has the pockets (Think research) to develop camshafts for durability than Harley.
Sure, aftermarket cams can and will give you more power/tq, but if your looking for all out power maybe a Harley is the wrong bike to ride.

YMMV

Old 04-08-2012 | 12:28 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bruce00
Another thing to remember/think about when comparing Harley cams vs the aftermarket cams. Nobody has the pockets (Think research) to develop camshafts for durability than Harley. Sure, aftermarket cams can and will give you more power/tq, but if your looking for all out power maybe a Harley is the wrong bike to ride.
I know some very knowledgeable techs who think very highly of SE cams. I've heard them remark that they perform well in the proper environment without objectionable side-effects, like valve noise and other woes after installing them. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one in the future, but I don't race my bike and just want it to perform at its best where I ride.

Last edited by iclick; 04-08-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-08-2012 | 12:32 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
I know some very knowledgeable techs who think very highly of SE cams. I've heard them remark that they perform well in the proper environment without objectionable side-effects, like valve noise, and other woes after installing them. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one in the future, but I don't race my bike and just want it to perform at its best where I ride.
amen brother

Quick Reply: SE cams