Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Snell 2010 Standard

The other article posted is referring to the 2005 Standard, and is therefore outdated.
Thanks for the link.....don't have time now, will read it later.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:26 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.westcoastweasels.com/arch...he_Lid_Off.pdf

I'm sure they have made improvements in helmets since this was written and the article may be out dated but physics have not changed so the concept is still legitimate. This is something everyone should take into consideration when they purchase a helmet.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by HeHateMe
Just saw the ESPN article on Bobby Petrino wrecking with no helmet on. His face is EXACTLY what I am trying to avoid by wearing a full face!!
But he had a hot, young blond to cushion the impact.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Johnny G
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Arai Helmet

Congrats! You just bought the best helmet money can buy. I have 3 Arai, all full face and they are very comfortable even in hot weather. Great ventilation and has the ability to replace cheek pads to different sizes for a perfect fit. Besides my Harley Streetglide, I have a Suzuki Hayabusa 2008, and I NEVER ride that beast without full armor jacket and my Arai helmet. I have gone down only once doing about 5 miles per hour and my head literally bounced off the pavement. I couldn't get my arm out fast enough to break my fall. Slight damage to the helmet, I felt nothing at all.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:05 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
Before you blast me with comments like "you get what you pay for" etc. you might want to read and consider the article below.

http://www.westcoastweasels.com/arch...he_Lid_Off.pdf

I just read that article again, it's been a while. Great stuff. But what I'd like to see is a study that breaks down the difference between FF, 3/4 and half helmets. Most of the riders around here wear half helmets. But are they really effective?

This may be my next helmet, the Arai XC. It looks like it would give added protection to the chin area, while still allowing ventilation. I wish it had built in sunglasses though.

Attached Thumbnails New Helmet-xc-2t.jpg  
Old 04-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that tinted shield polarized???
I don't wear it when I'm fly fishing so that wasn't was of my concerns but at this price it should be

Old 04-12-2012, 12:55 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bluffalobob
I just read that article again, it's been a while. Great stuff. But what I'd like to see is a study that breaks down the difference between FF, 3/4 and half helmets. Most of the riders around here wear half helmets. But are they really effective?
I work a lot of MC wrecks. (work in the Ozarks Mountains....hills to you folks from out west!) I own a half helmet and like it. From what I've seen at accidents, more helmet is better. Haven't worked a fatality in awhile on a helmeted rider......not preachin', just sayin'.

Originally Posted by Tom Hudson
I don't wear it when I'm fly fishing so that wasn't was of my concerns but at this price it should be
I've got used to polarized lenses over the years with prescription glasses. Love the way they cut the glare. (I've read the deal about not seeing water on the road because of polarized lenses, and the danger that can pose to a MC rider......I have never experienced that problem in all the years I've been wearing them.)

Old 04-12-2012, 09:17 AM
HeHateMe
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I work a lot of MC wrecks. (work in the Ozarks Mountains....hills to you folks from out west!) I own a half helmet and like it. From what I've seen at accidents, more helmet is better. Haven't worked a fatality in awhile on a helmeted rider......not preachin', just sayin'.

I've got used to polarized lenses over the years with prescription glasses. Love the way they cut the glare. (I've read the deal about not seeing water on the road because of polarized lenses, and the danger that can pose to a MC rider......I have never experienced that problem in all the years I've been wearing them.)
I have to wear polarized. Its a HUGE difference.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:29 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HeHateMe
I have to wear polarized. Its a HUGE difference.
I agree! I will still squint wearing anything else!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by '05Train
Snell 2010 Standard

The other article posted is referring to the 2005 Standard, and is therefore outdated.
The below is quoted from the link you sent me on the new Snell 2010 standard. Unless I missed something this seems to make the article I posted still relevant.

"For street riders in North America, the differences between M2010 and M2005 should be of little significance. M2010 does not exceed M2005 but it does demand comparable protection. But for street riders in Europe, M2010 may make a considerable difference."

Quick Reply: New Helmet