Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffeting - Air Deflectors - Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Idaho Spud
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 2011 RKC and the buffeting was real bad. I did two things, one at a time to measure the impact. First, I bought a Clearview recurve shield. I actually bought one that was 2" shorter than the stock one (I am 5'8"). I look just over the top. It eliminated about 75% of the problem. Then I put in the baffle that goes between the forks. It got rid of nearly all the rest. I still get a bit of air but it is coming from the sides. I know this because when I ride with my feet on the boards, I get air, but when I am on the highway pegs, my legs break it up and I get no buffeting. Plus, after eliminated two of the causes, I can feel the wind coming up along the tank. The fork deflectors would stop this but quite frankly, I do not like the look of them and I only get noticable shake at about 80 mph and being an old fart, most of my riding is done at about 70mph.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Took the KW 6.5 off of my SG and my buffeting issues along with a bunch of wind noise went away. I can actually hear my stereo a 70 now. Went back to my smoke 6" HD shield. I might try one of those with the flip-up at the top just for giggles.
Using the soft lowers also helps a great deal but I remove them when the temps get up to about 75 or higher.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I have nothing on my RK and it's perfect. I've ridden may loooong trips through rain, hailstorms, bugs, whatever and it's easy peasy on my RK. I have ~350 miles on my new SG, and I gotta tell ya it's a completely different animal. I am now experiencing what everone has talked about, including the rattling eyes at higher speeds. I keep getting bugs dead smack in the middle of my forehead, and I'm a short guy! Never had this on my RK, ever. I just ordered a LRS Ultra windshield to get more air up and over, but I think as much as I don't want to do it, I may have to give the fork deflectors a shot to help mitigate that pesky/annoying air that comes up from under the tank. I didn't belive it, but the more I ride it, the more I can detect it. I suspect the difference is the windshield on the RK goes lower on the bike, and perhaps the shorter shocks changes the angle and the air path. Oddly though, side by side the SG sits higher in the back, go figure.

My .02
Yeah, no continuous issues on my RKC regardless of the speed of travel. I've had sustained cruising in the 80-85 mph range with no problems. (I'm 6'2" with a TallBoy seat, moving me back 2 inches.)

I just got back from a long trip up the coast. On Hatteras Island I had a couple hours of 45 mph gusting crosswinds. I did not experience what I would call "buffeting." (I'd call it sand blasting.) I have only had a couple experiences with goggle/helmet shaking buffeting on other occasions but it seems more related to weather and wind conditions than anything having to do with the aerodynamics of the bike itself. When I have experienced it, the "dirty air" (as another poster called it) did not seem to be coming over the windshield, but rather from below and from the sides of the tank, so I suspect the fork mounted deflectors might help that in those conditions. (But I don't intend to install any since the buffeting occurs so rarely.)

Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 AM
dstrat1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent alot of time trying to solve this issue. Here is what i found

1. front fork deflectors, i use kuryakyn, help the most
2. use the clearview vent in your shield. I had a 12 inch clearview with the vent, but cut my 9 inch recurve and put the vent in it
3. use the side fairing deflectors, but turn them so they are scooping air toward you not away

What you are trying to achieve is to fill the air cavity behind the fairing..with the combination of items above I can ride buffet free at 80, although crosswings still cause a bit of a problem....