Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffeting - Air Deflectors - Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 05:22 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-STREE...#ht_1230wt_669

These and a chrome front end kit so they blend in and the fairing mounted deflectors and your problem will be solved. The correct height shield is a given....

Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Wonderbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostman574
I am having major issues with wind buffeting on my 2012 SG. It is to the point where my head rattles and the shaking impairs my vision. I was able to fix the low speed buffeting with a KW 6.5 windshield but once I hit 70 - 75 MPH the buffeting gets bad. My question is will the following options help:

1. Front Fork Air Baffle
2. Adjustable Air Deflector

I'm not looking to kill all air flow and be in bubble nirvana (I have a truck for that), I just want to take care of the safety issue. I wear a full face helmet, and I am not willing to compromise on that either (Seen too many instances where a full face would have helped major disfigurment).
Sorry to say, you'll need lowers, deflectors (adjustable or not), better windshield I run with a 10" windiest and fork baffle.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Why is it that so many riders are adverse to looking "through" a motorcycle windshield? Instead, many prefer to look over the windshield.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Ghostman574
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
Why is it that so many riders are adverse to looking "through" a motorcycle windshield? Instead, many prefer to look over the windshield.
I have no issues looking through a windshield, but in my case the KW 6.5 is diverting the air well above my helmet (I'm only 5'8"). The buffeting I was getting was from under the wing coming up around the tank. I still have some coming up, but after adding the air deflectors and fork shield the buffeting is no longer a safety concern.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:39 AM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 349 Likes on 158 Posts

The buffeting on my SG was so bad, I almost traded it off within the first 2 months of owning it. But I really like the bike, so I persevered. I'm 6'4", 270, and my height is in my torso, not my legs. I ended up with an 11" LRS shield, fork baffle, and fixed fairing deflectors. The fork deflectors made the buffeting much worse for me. With that combination, I still have a little bit of buffeting, but it's tolerable. However, I still can't use highway pegs since the buffeting returns when I take my size 14s off the boards and put them on the pegs. And the buffeting is worse when I wear a FF helmet.

My suggestion would be to get the fork baffle, it's cheap. Call LRS and talk to them about a recurve shield. They'll help you determine what size to get. The fairing deflectors are inexpensive if you go with aftermarket. Then, if you still get buffeting, try the fork deflectors. The unfortunate fact of life with a SG is that it's going to take some time and money to solve the buffeting problem, but that's part of the deal. I love this bike and I'm willing to put up with some of the compromises involved in owning it.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:26 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,865 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Retrop
I've been riding behind a windshield for around 40 years and the only safe way to ride is by being able to look over it. You can look through it while it is clean, but rain, insects, generally travel dirt will slowly build up and make the shield less easy to look through. If you can't see over it you risk riding into trouble, unable to see properly, especially when riding into the sun. Doesn't take long to learn that!

Old 04-08-2012, 05:09 PM
TURQ
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've been riding behind a windshield for around 40 years and the only safe way to ride is by being able to look over it. You can look through it while it is clean, but rain, insects, generally travel dirt will slowly build up and make the shield less easy to look through. If you can't see over it you risk riding into trouble, unable to see properly, especially when riding into the sun. Doesn't take long to learn that!
+1
for me- fork baffle (stopped sunglasses from jumping)...fairing wind deflectors...8" LRS flattop windshield. Good setup so far.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:05 PM
dynawideglider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanStansbery
My experience is, you need to move the 'dirty' air that's coming off the windshield, either upward so it goes over the top of your helmet, or downward, so it hits below your chin. By 'dirty' air, I mean the roiling, buffeting air that is coming from the passage of the windshield through the air. You can move your hand up and down, as you ride, and feel where the 'smooth' air-flow ends, and the 'dirty' air begins. Chances are, that 'dirty' air is hitting your helmet above eye-level, nearer the top than the bottom of the helmet. The faster you go, the broader the zone of dirty air, so by the time you hit 70, it's very strong and you feel it in a pronounced manner. (It's still there at 60, just not strong enough it's objectionable to you).

The former (moving the dirty air up) will make the 'bubble' you speak of. Your helmet will run through 'clean', relatively quiet air. The latter (moving the dirty air down) will be as if you are riding without a windshield, as far as your head/helmet are concerned (though the fairing/windshield will still deflect air from your body). With the second method you'll get a lot more wind noise than you would if you were to deflect the air above your helmet, but it will be 'smooth' air, and won't buffet.

To achieve the former state, you can use a taller windshield. To achieve the latter, you can use a shorter windshield. I know Klockwerks makes an 8.5". They also make a 3.5". (You can move your hand up and down, in the method described here, to kind of guesstimate whether either of these heights will be sufficient for your need).

To estimate how much higher or lower you need to make the windshield, use your hand as you ride, and move it up, and down from about the middle of your chest to up over your head. Note as you move it where the air feels 'smooth', and where it buffets. You want to move that buffet (the 'dirty' air) either above the top or your helmet, or right at or below your chin.

As for the 'dirty' air, as you move your hand up from your chest you'll feel 'no air flow' (well, there will be some, but the majority will be blocked by the shield), an area where the air buffets (gets 'dirty'), and above that, smooth air that is unaffected by the windshield. Three zones. It's the middle zone--where the air's dirty--that's likely causing your issue.

If you don't mind the look, get the tallest windshield you can find, and that should solve your buffeting issues. (How tall are you, anyway? Obviously your height will affect where the 'dirty' air hits your head for a given height of windshield).

The problem is, most of us prefer the long/low windshield look, and don't want a 12" windscreen.

I have a Memphis Shades fairing with a 6.5" Klockwerks windshield. I adjust the fairing to its lowest setting, then lowered it another 3/4" inch, and angled it back toward me. The net effect was, I moved the 'dirty' air down around my chin. I can go literally any speed, and the buffet is sometimes felt, but only vaguely.

Your helmet (shape) can also contribute to the bobble-doll syndrome you describe, too. Some helmets are more aerodynamic than others.

Short of putting a really tall windshield on your bike, you're going to have to futz around some to sort this out. There's a certain amount no one can tell you, and you'll just have to figure out through trial-and-error. There are many person/windshield combinations and no one solution of windshield height will work for all.

There are probably other ways to approach this, too, with deflectors (on the forks, added on the the windshield, etc.) But I've found, for violent buffeting such as you describe (that blurs the vision), it's not wind coming up from below. The main culprit is the height of the windshield versus the height of the rider, and more specifically, where that 'dirty' air is hitting your head. You have to move the 'dirty' air so it won't hit your helmet...

Alan
What kind of bike do you have? I'd bet it's not an SG..... The windshield (and helmet) is only one part of the problem, the wind buffeting described by the OP is unique to Street Glides. It comes from down low....

For the OP, past threads have ended with recommendation for a higher and/or better fitting windshield, fork baffle, Fairing deflectors, and either lowers or fork deflectors.

I can (and have) done all of these except lowers or deflectors. Harley's lowers suck, they look like an afterthought, and the fork deflectors conflict with other items I've added (and like).

Would like to hear the solution you come up with.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:27 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a 6.5" KW fairly new -- anyone one want to trade with a 8.5" KW ??
wondering if you can see above a 8.5" windsheild.. im 5'10" and had a Clearview 6.5 with recurve which i think was better than a KW 6.5' for me bit sold it.. i willing to trade rather than spending more $$...

Old 04-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was disappointed in the buffetting, too.

I found the walrus tusk air deflectors 58121-85B did the trick.

At first I did not believe they would do any good. "How could these little pieces of sheet metal do anything?" I thought. I was surprised at how well they worked.

Quick Reply: Wind Buffeting - Air Deflectors - Question