Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffeting - Air Deflectors - Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 11:13 AM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanStansbery
Your helmet (shape) can also contribute to the bobble-doll syndrome you describe, too. Some helmets are more aerodynamic than others. Short of putting a really tall windshield on your bike, you're going to have to futz around a lot to sort this out.

There are probably other ways to approach this, too, with deflectors (on the forks, added on the the windshield, etc.) But I've found, the main culprit is the height of the windshield versus my height. You have to move the 'dirty' air so it won't hit your helmet.
Yup, that. The helmet factor can be a big one. When it's blurring your vision, it's worth fixing of course. So many "buffeting" worries make me scratch my head most of the time but I must say, my SG was a lot worse than the RK. But your issue is really legit..gotta fix that. But it's a motorcycle, eh?

You'll figure it out, tweak away.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

If by "Adjustable Air Deflector" you mean those side air deflectors that go on the fairing then yes they help a lot.
I never open mine up because when I do I get immediate buffering.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:44 PM
rhlhamlet
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have both on my RK Classic. I would suggest you first try the fork baffle because it won't cost you more than $20 to find out if that's all you need.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:51 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ghostman574
I am having major issues with wind buffeting on my 2012 SG. It is to the point where my head rattles and the shaking impairs my vision.
Had exactly the same problems, and to the same extent. You've gotta' be able to see to drive.

Stock shield was useless, but there's as much buffeting coming from under the batwing as above, no matter which shield. Place your hand in front of your face where you feel the buffeting and just follow the air blast to its source.

I'm 5'11", and am using a 7" LRS Ultra, which gets the top blast well above my head. I'm also using HD air deflectors,

and have the front fork air baffle

on order. (HD images)

I really think that's about all that can be done for this particular bike, short of installing a really tall windshield I'd have to look through, and I really don't want to do that.

Last edited by racklefratz; 04-07-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Ghostman574
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racklefratz
Had exactly the same problems, and to the same extent. You've gotta' be able to see to drive.

Stock shield was useless, but there's as much buffeting coming from under the batwing as above, no matter which shield. Place your hand in front of your face where you feel the buffeting and just follow the air blast to its source.

I'm 5'11", and am using a 7" LRS Ultra, which gets the top blast well above my head. I'm also using HD air deflectors,

and have the front fork air baffle

on order. (HD images)

I really think that's about all that can be done for this particular bike, short of installing a really tall windshield I'd have to look through, and I really don't want to do that.
This is the exact setup I put on my bike, and that pretty much solved the issue.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

This is an age old problem with nearly any motorcycle but especially Harley touring bikes. All Harleys ship from the factory with shorty windscreens. They ship them that way for one reason only and that is because they look good. Things that look good...sell much better than things that are functional. But, after you own the bike for a few days and get it out on the highway you learn that you have got problems, big problems. The parts guys at the dealerships aren't much help either because they probably never owned a high speed touring bike so all they do is start you down the road to buying every deflector/air foil device that is in the Harley catalogue. For the most part all this stuff will help a little but not enough to satisfy the terrible head buffeting you are going to get when you scheen along on the highway at 70 mph with a short windscreen. To get satisfaction you will have to decide if it is more important to you to look super cool with a short windscreen or a much taller one that is actually functional. There is a reason they call it a windshield. If it does not shield you from the wind it is a windscreen. To give you true relief the winscreen must be equal or higher than your eyes. Anything less and your just pissin in the wind, so to speak. The brand of windshield is not near as important as the height. Taller is gooder and shorter is badder.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:11 PM
busterdog
Advanced

maybe next time buy a ford

Old 04-07-2012, 04:16 PM
racklefratz
Road Master

Originally Posted by Retrop
To give you true relief the winscreen must be equal or higher than your eyes. Anything less and your just pissin in the wind, so to speak. The brand of windshield is not near as important as the height. Taller is gooder and shorter is badder.
With a recurve shield, I've found I can get away with less height than eye-level, although, as you say, that's the gold standard. The aftermarket vendors have shield measurement advice that I've found to be pretty accurate, and a good recurve shield at nose level, or even a little less than that, can give pretty good protection from buffeting over the top of the batwing. As I posted, I'm using a LRS Ultra that's just 7" high and don't feel any need to go higher.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:01 PM
3288chrisc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on a few things:
1. How tall you are
2. Where your head is in relation to the wind coming off the front of the bike
3. The height and shape of your windshield
4. How far back you sit from the windshield

Obviously you can't adjust how tall you are, but all other factors are adjustable. I found with my Ultra, all I needed to do was install adjustable airdeflectors with a KW 8" windscreen. I also sit back a little further - which is my natural riding position. You could try some highway pegs which changes how you're positioned in relation to the airflow coming off the fairing.

So as you can see, the problem starts out differently for every Ultra owner, with some people not having an issue with the stock set up, whilst others have a big issue. It's something that only you can sort out through trial and error, but I hope a few of these tips might give you some more options to try anyway.

Cheers

Cashy

Old 04-07-2012, 05:12 PM
fat daddy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the non adjustable air deflectors . I got the adjustable ones and I never move them.The non adjustable ones are less expensive.Also I have the 6.5 kw and I love it but you should get one that fits your height.

Quick Reply: Wind Buffeting - Air Deflectors - Question