Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Oil Temp Gauge WTF !!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:29 PM
swomack
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HD Oil Temp Gauge WTF !!!!!!!!!!!

I got my oil temp gauge today from Zanottis. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who designed this thing! Seven pages of instructions plus the service manual to install a freakin' sending unit? Run power ALL THE WAY from the fuse box for a little light bulb in a gauge? Remove the gas tank? Drain the oil and install a new filter? Cut both of the oil lines? Put a brass fitting (circa 1925) off of Granny's bathtub in the oil line? Clamp it all back together and don't let it "chafe". Where in the Man Laws does it say a Harley owner can even use the word "chafe". I bet the Service Techs smile when they see one of these. Where's the forums version of this installation? TIA!

Old 12-28-2006, 11:38 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HD Oil Temp Gauge WTF !!!!!!!!!!!

Step 1) Chill Pill.....

I've never used the HD version, but I've had three of the McEwan version. It's basically the same thing.
I prefer to install the sender in the "spare" hole in the oil pan. It has a plug in it & takes an allen wrench to remove it. It's just inside of the oil drainplug and faces forward.If you're really fast, you can do this w/o draining the oil.
You will have to run the sender line down to it. I usually fish it under the tank, but you could pull it if ya want.
While it's not in the directions, I also prefer to run a ground wire from the gauge to the sender and solder it on. That way there are no grounding issues to possibly make the gauge not read properly.
Basic connections at the gauge back, should be obvious or at least covered in your comic instruction book. <smile here>

No.... sit back and enjoy it.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:39 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

JUST STAY CALM AND REREAD INSTRUCTION/SERVICE MANUEL THEN WAIT A DAY OR SO AND READ IT AGAIN. IT WILL ALL CLICK.

THATS ONE REASON I CAN LIVE WITH OUT AN OIL GAUGE. ITS EASIER TO USE YOUR TONGUE[:'(]

Old 12-28-2006, 11:44 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're correct - too much work to make the oil temp gauge work. See my comments below - also posted in the tech tips (Oil) section.

FYI - installed the Harley oil temp gauge BUT used the extra oil pan hole - had to use an adapter bushing. Worked like a charm. I wanted the Harley gauge (with the Harley wording) to match all my other gauges. But, had a real problem with the Harley install. One, they wanted you to cut the bottom oil supply hose out and somehow install a treaded nipple adapter in its place - while somehow getting the hose clamps installed - just seemed like too much work. Two, on top of that, they said you needed to toss the cover plate that covers those hoses. So for a $1.25 bushing I'm much happier. Installing into the extra drain plug whole does not seem as perminent as the orginal install. Since the Harley sensor uses two wires, I was able to put telfon tape and anti-sieze on the bushing adapter. Lastly, Harley wants you to remove the fuel tank (after purging the fuel pressure) - I was able to use a 12 gauge electrical wire (one of the coated wires abour 2 feet long) and fish the temp gauge wire through it. Since I had a Air Temp gauge - you're also able to use the orange wire (becomes the POS on the new oil temp gauge) and the black (GND) - i.e. no need as in the intructions to run those wires back to the fuse panel and grounding plate. One other piece of advice - the plug that was in my Ultra extra drain plug was put in with "red" loctite - make sure to either have a warm engine or in my case I heated the plug with a heat gun for about five minutes. Hope this helps.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:47 PM
frittsk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my HD unit in the oil pan as well. Didn't remove the tank as I was able to snake the wires through the harness with a heavy wire (hanger). Just loosened the tank. I didn't drain the oil either. Ya just gotta be quick! It took a couple hours, but really wasn't that bad.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:23 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I just installed the HD unit in my 06 EG Classic today. A little common sense and patience will get you thru it. Like most of the others here, I opted for the oil pan installation. I went to NAPA and bought a brass bushing #3220 x 6 x 2 and some red loctite hi-temp. I drained my oil into a clean container and went out for the parts while it drained. I wanted a clean, dry seat when I reinstalled the bushing with loctite on it. I just worked on the gauge part of it until the crank was empty.

I didn't bother routing the wire up thru the tank either. I went to the right side of the frame and ran it along the clutch cable up into the fairing. I used the power feed (orange) and ground (black) from the air temp gauge. I just used the yellow and black wires from the sensor. I tossed the extra orange and black from the oil gauge harness. I cut the wires from the air temp gauge connector and installed the ring terminals to the orange (power), yellow (sensor) and 2 black ground wires, one from the sensor and the other the actual ground from the temp gauge. Feed your wires thru the opening and attatch them to your gauge. Then put the gauge in place from the dash side.

When you install the gauge I recommend that you remove the fuel gauge and the horizontal brace that attatches just under the speaker. It helps a lot. You have to use the bracket that comes with the kit to install the gauge. Make sure that you line it up upside down.

If you want you can PM me for my cell and I can talk you thru it or answer any questions you might have.

I got this info from a forum member after he did his mod:

Soos,

I installed my oil temp gauge this week-end. The adapter is 1/4" mpt X 1/8" fpt for my '04 EG. Perhaps you can edit your earlier post to include this in addition to the NAPA part number.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:47 AM
Spartan
Road Captain

Iinstalled spade connectors on the oilgauge power and ground wires and plugged them intothe air temp plug connetor. Nofuss, no muss and no cutting. I ran the sensor wiring harness from the back of the gauge attaching it to theclutch cable and ran italongthe bottom of the frameoverto theoil pan. I also used a brass bushing which I screwed into the extra oil drain plug. The sensor was then screwed into the bushing.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:05 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

no big deal really

Old 12-29-2006, 02:44 AM
fatboylust
Road Captain

I agree the instructions are full of steps that can be simplified and the placement of the sending unit while much easier in the spare hole in the tank. This location may diminish the accuracy and or the responsiveness of the subsequent readings. The tank structure is a significant heat sync and the oil in the tank is mixture of very hot oil from the engine and the rest of the oil, which may or may not be representative of the oil temperature as it returns to the engine. HD placed the sending unit in the engine supply hose, physically insulated from other engine heat sources, providing a reading of the actual oil as it returns to the engine. With a little forethought and effort the stock hose cover can be reinstalled.
FBL

Old 12-29-2006, 04:41 AM
Vegas FLTRI
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The exact install on the Harleybago and on my buddies Ultra
ORIGINAL: Spartan

Iinstalled spade connectors on the oilgauge power and ground wires and plugged them intothe air temp plug connetor. Nofuss, no muss and no cutting. I ran the sensor wiring harness from the back of the gauge attaching it to theclutch cable and ran italongthe bottom of the frameoverto theoil pan. I also used a brass bushing which I screwed into the extra oil drain plug. The sensor was then screwed into the bushing.

Quick Reply: HD Oil Temp Gauge WTF !!!!!!!!!!!