Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Oil Temp Gauge WTF !!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Boatman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HD Oil Temp Gauge WTF !!!!!!!!!!!

I installed the same as Soos and Spartan with no problems.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:46 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Maybe HD made the instructions complicated hoping that the buyer of the kit would take it back to a dealer for the install?

Old 12-29-2006, 10:47 AM
swomack
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate your help! I did not find the H-D install too difficult for me just full of unnecessary BS and I did not like the idea of cutting into the oil lines and leaving the cover off. I figured that would just lead to trouble on the side of the road one day. A couple more questions:

1. Was the red loctite the only thing you used on the fitting in the oil pan?
2. What did you put on the sending unit threads?
3. When fishing under the tank did you run the wires inside or outside of the wire channel?
4. Has anyone noticed if the oil pan install reads differently from the hose install?
5. Is replacing the red loctite even necessary? It looks like leaks would be of more importance than it coming out?

Old 12-29-2006, 11:20 AM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

Did not use loctite - used teflon tape on both threads. HD sensor is full two-wire, so no concern about a good frame ground.

Hard to say about the comparison, but as the other member described, would make sense that the oil pan disapates heat a little. I just figure that if I add a bit to the pan reading, I'm probably close to the reading it would be in the return line.

I was more concerned about the need for an oil cooler. I live in NC and summers get a bit hot. Oil temp readings would get around 230+. Concluded a oil cooler would not hurt - Santa got me one for Xmas.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:52 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: swomack

I appreciate your help! I did not find the H-D install too difficult for me just full of unnecessary BS and I did not like the idea of cutting into the oil lines and leaving the cover off. I figured that would just lead to trouble on the side of the road one day. A couple more questions:

1. Was the red loctite the only thing you used on the fitting in the oil pan?
2. What did you put on the sending unit threads?
3. When fishing under the tank did you run the wires inside or outside of the wire channel?
4. Has anyone noticed if the oil pan install reads differently from the hose install?
5. Is replacing the red loctite even necessary? It looks like leaks would be of more importance than it coming out?
I used the loctite because the original oil pan plug had it on it and I also put it on the sensor threads. Can't hurt. It also helps with the seal. I plan on checking the oil temp with my bud's LED dipstick, which I will steal when he's not looking.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Boatman
Cruiser

I havea SE103 Electraglide with the oil cooler and LED dipstick. My sensor is in the pan. Below 180 degrees, there is about 25 degrees difference between the gauge and dipstick. Once the thermostat opens at 180 degrees, there is only 5 degrees difference between the two from 180-up.
Where the sensor is mounted in the pan, that is where the oil goes back into themotorafter going thru the serpentine baffle in the oil pan.

Don't run the gauge wires under the tank and back to the battery, just splice into the power and ground wires from the removed air gauge.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:17 PM
swomack
Road Master

Does anyone know the sizes for the bushing? The outside looks like 3/8 NPT but the inside does look like pipe threads.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:25 PM
jmorton10
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have installed half a dozen of the HD setup & the elbow in the oil line is certainly a PITA but it is definitely a more accurate setup if installed correctly.

THIS PIC WILL SHOW THE FITTING IN QUESTION

If you install it in the pan, the temp will vary every time you hit a puddle etc.

Harley says you need to leave the cover off, but it is farily simple to reinstall it I found. I reinstalled the cover on every one that I did.

~John

Old 12-29-2006, 12:25 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: swomack

Does anyone know the sizes for the bushing? The outside looks like 3/8 NPT but the inside does look like pipe threads.
In my post I used a NAPA part #3220 x 6 x 2. I took my OEM plug and sensor with me. Tried the OEM plug in a bushing for fit, then found a bushing that fit the same bushing that the OEM did. The second bushing internal threads matched the sensors. I was good to go.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:30 PM
swomack
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jmorton10

I have installed half a dozen of the HD setup & the elbow in the oil line is certainly a PITA but it is definitely a more accurate setup if installed correctly.

THIS PIC WILL SHOW THE FITTING IN QUESTION

If you install it in the pan, the temp will vary every time you hit a puddle etc.

Harley says you need to leave the cover off, but it is farily simple to reinstall it I found. I reinstalled the cover on every one that I did.

~John
How did you get to the clamps behind the fitting? How about leaks?

Quick Reply: HD Oil Temp Gauge WTF !!!!!!!!!!!