Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stebel Horn/Wolo Bad Boy Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:12 PM
nivensid
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stebel Horn/Wolo Bad Boy Question

I first seperated the compressor and put under the seat with the horn under the cowbell with the Stebel Horn. Did not get the sound I was looking for. Sounded like it was trying but not getting the job done.
Got the Wolo Bad Boy and tried it out on the car battery just to make sureit worked.
How many times can you activate the horn with 3 second blasts before it gives out? I did this 2 times and the compressor was vibrating but no sound. Is this normal for either horn? Is the compressor working so hard it gives out after 3 short blasts? After trying both horns I am back to stock.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:50 PM
James Larson
6th Gear

I put the Wolo air horn on my trike last week and so far so good. It works great, nice and loud.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:49 PM
rustybearing
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You may not have a good enough connection between the compressor and the horn. Any air leak and the output is greatly diminished. I separated mine and put it under the fairing.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:51 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,690 Likes on 705 Posts

How do you separate a wolo bad boy?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Sparky73
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use a relay so the compressor is powered directly from the battery and not through the horn switch? If not, that could be your issue. Also, ensure your compressor is mounted vertically and the air line doesn't have any kinks in it. My compressor is mounted under the left side cover, just forward of the fuse box.

Also, how did you connect the air line to the horn in the cowbell? I used a straight brass connector and glued it into the horn with epoxy. If you don't have a good seal, air will leak and the horn will be weak.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Sparky73
Tourer

Originally Posted by FlamedFXR
How do you separate a wolo bad boy?
Pull outward on the two large plastic tabs on the sides of the compressors and the horn assembly will slide upward off the compressor. The nipple between the compressor and the horn has an o-ring on it so it's a pretty tight fit.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:21 PM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have the Rivco air horn for over three years now. I compressor in the box on the side by the battery and the horns replacing the cow bell. The horns did not appear to sound as loud as they were. Went to Pep Boys and bought the solo air horn with red horns. I just wanted to replace the compressor which is all the same.

I swapped out the compressor and still sounds like crap. The solo came with a clear hose. So I connected the new trumpets to the compressor and it was loud. I used the new compressor to old Rivco using new tubes. Sounds perfect. Went to local hardware store and purchased a longer hose.

As I was swapping out the new hose for the old hose, it began to crumble in my hand. I guess the air was escaping the old hose wear it was dry and brittle. I also installed some small hose clamps at the connections.

Hope it helps.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:43 PM
nivensid
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sparky73
Did you use a relay so the compressor is powered directly from the battery and not through the horn switch? If not, that could be your issue. Also, ensure your compressor is mounted vertically and the air line doesn't have any kinks in it. My compressor is mounted under the left side cover, just forward of the fuse box.

Also, how did you connect the air line to the horn in the cowbell? I used a straight brass connector and glued it into the horn with epoxy. If you don't have a good seal, air will leak and the horn will be weak.
Yep, used a relay, I threaded the inlet in the horn with 1/8npt tap and used a brass fitting. Used a hose clamp on the compressor under the seat. The stebel never sounded strong, is this horn only good for a few short blasts before the sound stops? I know that should be all the warning someone would need but sometimes it is almost full sound and then nothing. I checked my connections and electrical, all good. The only thing it may be is the compressor is lying on its side not straight up. Why would it need to be vertical?
Anyone have a pic of the fitting used at the horn? Maybe mine restricted the air flow too much.

Thanks everyone.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Sparky73
Tourer

Originally Posted by nivensid
Yep, used a relay, I threaded the inlet in the horn with 1/8npt tap and used a brass fitting. Used a hose clamp on the compressor under the seat. The stebel never sounded strong, is this horn only good for a few short blasts before the sound stops? I know that should be all the warning someone would need but sometimes it is almost full sound and then nothing. I checked my connections and electrical, all good. The only thing it may be is the compressor is lying on its side not straight up. Why would it need to be vertical?
Anyone have a pic of the fitting used at the horn? Maybe mine restricted the air flow too much.
Sorry about the late response. My bet is that you restricted the airflow with your 1/8" fitting. I used 1/4" inner diameter plastic tubing and a 1/4" outer diameter double ended brass fitting in the horn (with epoxy). Threw a zip tie on each end of the hose and the horn runs strong whether a short blast or a 10-15 second blast.

Recommend you try yours with 1/4" tubing before giving up. I picked up my fitting at Home Depot for about $3. It looks just like this one: http://fittingsandadapters.com/union.html

Good luck and let us know if it works!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:53 AM
nivensid
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sparky73
Sorry about the late response. My bet is that you restricted the airflow with your 1/8" fitting. I used 1/4" inner diameter plastic tubing and a 1/4" outer diameter double ended brass fitting in the horn (with epoxy). Threw a zip tie on each end of the hose and the horn runs strong whether a short blast or a 10-15 second blast.

Recommend you try yours with 1/4" tubing before giving up. I picked up my fitting at Home Depot for about $3. It looks just like this one: http://fittingsandadapters.com/union.html

Good luck and let us know if it works!
I will give that a try. Did you put the compressor under the seat laying cross ways?
Thanks for the reply and the link for the fitting. I will not give up until I get it right.

Quick Reply: Stebel Horn/Wolo Bad Boy Question