Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long were you off with shoulder surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I have had both shoulders done in the last 2 years. The doc wouldn't let me do much more than "pendulum movements" for the first 3 weeks. After that, I did about 8 weeks of therapy and then, I was good to go back to work. I have a very physical job with a lot of lifting and, while I am not as strong as before, there is very little pain in my shoulders. I was able to ride my 2010 Limited after about 12 weeks. My only advice is to do what the therapist tells you to do and you will be surprised how quickly you recover. Good luck

Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Orthicotic surgery on torn rotator in 93. Only took one month off but I was young and stupid. Shoulda took the 4 months off like I was told!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:26 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had my whole rotator cuff re-done. I had it done in june 2 years ago and i would say i was on a bike late august, but not for long rides, just short jaunts. I used to Advil up before the ride.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:49 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I can only speak to R\C surgery. If the doc says mid May, be happy. After about 10 weeks I was able to ride but rode alot one armed & just rested my left arm on my leg. Not the safest but I wanted to ride & it worked. BTW, I was off work for 6 months. Best of luck.
Clay

Old 04-06-2012, 01:08 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by All Aces
I am just sitting here climbing the walls since some 21 year old texter rear ended me and totaled my Silverado back in December. I had shoulder surgery 3 weeks ago and I have not yet started P/T. I have no idea how long it will be before I can ride again but am hearing some horror stories about the time frame. Anyone have any stories of how long you were off after surgery? I know there are many issues which come into play here but overall mobility may be close. My issue was not rotator cuff but more cartilidge and tissue issues. There was some bone on bone area which they drilled small holes in the bone to create scar tissue to give a little bufferthus no P/T until next week. With all this great weather it is really staring to drive me crazy not working and can not even move the bike. Before the surgery my Doc said Mid may to ride but would love to hear from someone who has actually been through it.

When is up to you more than what your doctors says. He wants to see you do as much as you can (without re-injuring it). So if you don't fall off your bike you can do what I did. Physical Therapy took months, but I didn't wait on that. I could not lift my arm so I used my good arm\hand to place my hand on the throttle, and I went for a ride. I was down about a week.

Be glad it is not a RC, that is much worse.

Last edited by jjnoble; 04-06-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I manage 125 Utility worker men.
From my experiance I loose guys 3-4 months on average.
The sad part is in my opinion cause I see it all the time....the first two months are drawn out with repeated doctors visits and therapy only to end up at the conclusion 2 months later that surgery is needed.....basically 2 of the 4 months are waisted with doctors just dicking around.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:53 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default riding

I crashed and the worst part was the broken shoulder and broken arm was not as bad. Muscles seam like they are not attached and hurt. I crashed Dec 3rd, last year and rode at Daytona (mid March)for the first time.

Hurt after 10 miles and really hurt after 30 miles, just keep on riding. I find that if you stretch out working the shoulder moves more. Rebuilding a wall in the bedroom for a large screen LED which requires 2 2X4 wood studs and the rear of the wall had to go (remodeling the bathroom). Tore down the drywall which requires your arm at the ceiling line. Keep on pushing up my arm with my body and the arm eventually will go over your head.

I tell you this because you may wish to know what is in store for you. Everyone is different.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:22 PM
zion
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SLAP tear (superior labral tear from anterior to posterior) right shoulder, after surgery found out I also had Chondromalacia (little to no cartilage left) in that shoulder. Out for roughly six weeks give or take a little.

Just stick to PT....it SUCKS...but's super important. That and have patience.

Good luck.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:36 PM
BenRK05
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was riding my dual sportbike in 6 weeks. I couldn't handle to put much weight on my shoulders so I had to wait 4 months to ride my sportsbike. The roadking was 3 months. I had to sell the sportsbike because it was not comfortable for me to ride anymore. It has taking me 18 months to have full range of motion on my shoulder. I did not workout as much as I could of. If I did I am sure I could of shaved of a lot of time. Even when the end your pt sessions keep up with them. That was my mistake. Goodluck bro

Old 04-06-2012, 08:23 PM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. If PT staarts next week it gives me 5 weeks til Myrtle Beach bike week. I have been in a sling for three weeks and not to be moving it any more than necessary.Right now if I move it, it feels pretty bad so I am just trying to gauge what it may feel like in a month.

Quick Reply: How long were you off with shoulder surgery?