Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mods on a sundowner seat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:21 PM
bugs
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mods on a sundowner seat?

I am looking at buying a sundowner to replace the stock seat on 11 street glide. To fit me better, I was thinking about sending the seat to mean city cycles to have mods made to it. Has anyone done this? If so, were you happy with the changes?

Thanks for any help!

Old 04-05-2012, 04:00 PM
BlueShift
Road Master

My new mustang seat is coming tomorrow and I am selling a Sundowner deep bucket Road King Classic basket weave 2-up seat seat HD Part # 51615-09A .
Seat is 2 1/2 years old been on the bike for about 2000 miles.
HD says it fits 08 and later touring bikes.
If you are interested PM me and I can send you a pick.
I was going to put it on Ebay this weekend.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 AM
50plus
Intermediate

My Sundowner just came back from Mean City Cycles. Alan moved the rider portion down 1" + back 1" and memory-foamed both sections. The workmanship is outstanding and the service excellent.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save your money and just send your stock seat to him. Talk to him before buying a sundowner, the best seat I have owned to date is the stock seat on my current bike which he modified.

Last edited by Fire-Medic; 04-06-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 AM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

call Allen at MeanCity and ask him what he can do for you.

He did a MOD on my stock 2008 seat.

turned out great

Old 04-06-2012, 11:52 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,171 Likes on 22,596 Posts

WAIT and catch them @ a rally.
Then ride it a couple days.
That way if you're not happy they can tweek it right on the spot for you, or if you have a local upholstery shop that's any good you can always think about supporting them.

I had one done by them, and it was so-so, not real good, not real bad, but not worth the $210 that it cost; $150 for the memory foam for the rider only and the $60 for shipping to and from.

Not turned off by them, but would only do it again at a rally, as I said if you're not happy they can fix it on the spot.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:13 PM
ernster500
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a Sundowner on my RK that I only used for two-up riding. I had a solo the rest of the time. I didn't like the position it put me in and even after mods, I never quite got used to it. I bought a sundowner for my RGC, and am not super happy with it either. The stock seat is way better seating position and feels better in comfort in my opinion. Again, got the sundowner for the wife because she hates the stock seat.

I don't have any experience with MCC (yet). But, my stock seat will be going in for mods probably in May. I'm hoping that they can tweak it a little for me and a lot for the passenger portion. Talked to Allen and he gave me all kinds of good info over the phone. He told me not to waste the money on a sundowner, but, I needed to make the wife happy if I wanted to ride (haha, riding two up is better than not at all). Anyway, plenty of people are very happy with MCC on the various forums. If you get it and it isn't quite right, you can always talk to them and they will do what needs to be done to get it right (according to everything I've read). Going to a rally would be fun. But, unless you live where one is held and MCC happens to be there, you will spend way more money than it would cost for shipping it a couple times if it has to be tweaked after the first time.

A good friend of mine went to a local upholstery shop who specialized in custom cars. They did some stuff to his Electraglide seat and made up a new cover. The cover didn't quite fit right, although it looked fine and he could never go on much more than a 100 miles without having to stop because the foam used didn't support him very well. Not to say your local shop might not do better, but, something to be said for a shop that has so much experience with HD seats like MCC. Everything I've seen so far (in pictures) seems to be made and fitted perfectly with whatever cover they put back on, whether stock or custom.

As with everything, there is always cheaper, but there is not always better.

Last edited by ernster500; 04-06-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Weatheredge
Cruiser

Hey just got my seat back from mcc not real happy with maybe i need to do some more rideing - the mem-foam is really nice but the mod done to move back for this stockseat (11 FLHTK) im not sure wishing Id done a mustang or something now just MO

Old 04-06-2012, 01:53 PM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
WAIT and catch them @ a rally.
Then ride it a couple days.
That way if you're not happy they can tweek it right on the spot for you, or if you have a local upholstery shop that's any good you can always think about supporting them.

I had one done by them, and it was so-so, not real good, not real bad, but not worth the $210 that it cost; $150 for the memory foam for the rider only and the $60 for shipping to and from.

Not turned off by them, but would only do it again at a rally, as I said if you're not happy they can fix it on the spot.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:31 PM
bugs
Cruiser

Thanks for all the replies!! Even though I'm more confused now...lol! I will be at Sturgis...although Im not sure if MCC will be? Thats a good idea about the rally...its going to cost me around $50 for shipping. If I dont like it, maybe they can tweak in August. The main reason for the new seat is for the wife. It will be a better fit for her. Now Im wondering if I should have just bought a Mustang Touring seat instead??

Quick Reply: mods on a sundowner seat?