Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio has a mind of its own

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:28 PM
bagger76
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radio has a mind of its own

My 08 SG will change back to a crappy FM station every time i restart the bike. and i can't remember it doing this last year, Is this a normal thing. Like if i was listening to a cd then restart, It changes to fm. Also it keeps time and all the presets.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I found that tightening the batter cables nearly cured the problem. It went from doing it every start to only doing it occasionally.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:42 PM
FBR684685
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about your specific problem, but I can tell you that mine ate 2 sets of fairing brackets & the radio was damaged from excessive vibration.

I replaced & reinforced the brackets & sent my radio out to Iron Cross Audio in NJ for "The Mod". They replaced all the bad components, installed an iPod out and RCA's for an amp, and changed the screen color to blue AND gave it a year & a half warranty for around a nickel! Cheap money for dependable factory sound!

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/

Old 04-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bagger76
My 08 SG will change back to a crappy FM station every time i restart the bike. and i can't remember it doing this last year, Is this a normal thing. Like if i was listening to a cd then restart, It changes to fm. Also it keeps time and all the presets.
Voltage spike / drop during start up will cause that condition.
Be sure your software is at least 8.19. This helped a bit, but not always. depends on how bad the drop / spike is.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:03 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You may want to try a suppressor on the power cord.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 AM
bagger76
Tourer

I have been thinking of getting the color changed on the face anyways. maybe i will send it out and get it checked as well as check the wiring and plugs. What do you mean about software 8.19?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bagger76
I have been thinking of getting the color changed on the face anyways. maybe i will send it out and get it checked as well as check the wiring and plugs. What do you mean about software 8.19?

One of the issues addressed with the update was turn on timing. It helped prevent whats happening with yours.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:01 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Since day one, my bike will turn itself on every time I start the bike. While under warranty, the shop told me it was the head unit and they would replace it, but claimed Harley would only replace it with a used, repaired unit from another bike.

For $23k, I felt that it should be a brand new unit so I left it alone. It is annoying though.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:06 AM
Biker90
Road Warrior
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine only does it if I'm playing a cd. If I power off the radio before I shut the bike then it stays on cd when I power back up, otherwise it goes to fm. But when I have my xm on which is on aux it stays on aux even if I don't power the radio off before shutting down.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FBR684685
I don't know about your specific problem, but I can tell you that mine ate 2 sets of fairing brackets & the radio was damaged from excessive vibration.

I replaced & reinforced the brackets & sent my radio out to Iron Cross Audio in NJ for "The Mod". They replaced all the bad components, installed an iPod out and RCA's for an amp, and changed the screen color to blue AND gave it a year & a half warranty for around a nickel! Cheap money for dependable factory sound!

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/

I'm assuming you mean $500, that's a lot of money to most people to fix a radio.

I'm not knocking Iron Cross I have had them fix my radio in the past also.

Quick Reply: Radio has a mind of its own