Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I might have screwed up selling my BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Airborne Limited
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have experienced the same issue. I switched from a 2008 Goldwing to the Ultra Limited, so I know where you are coming from. What did it for me was the following:

1. I added the Harley Goodies Floorboard extenders. They allow me to open my legs a little bit more, which does help to take the pressure off my lower back.

2. I added a mustang back rest. The back rest made the biggest difference. Pick any make/model of back rest you like, but it will make a difference. I never take it off, even for short rides around town. Not only does it provide lower back support, but it also helps me to keep from slouching in the sit, which is easier to do with the foot forward position of the Ultra over the foot under position of the Goldwing (like you BMW).

I would also suggest looking into different risers or bars. I know you said you don't see the connection, so let me explain my thought. I don't know your body style, but feeling like you are reaching too far forward to the bars can cause you to slouch forward rather than sit up straight which will make your lower back hurt. If you don't feel like you can sit straight up in the saddle without feeling like you are reaching for the handlebars, than consider switching them or the risers out so you reach them with slouching.

Hope this helps your thought process.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhweber1
I have a similar problem. Once I got a lower back pain it was difficult to get rid of. That is until I purchased an inversion table. http://www.teeter-inversion.com/. After only 10 or 15 minutes on this thing, I get relief. Actually, when I first get off of the thing, my back hurts as bad as when I got on it. About 20 minutes later, like magic, the pain is usually gone. If I discipline myself to use it every day I have fewer incidents of pain.

It may be worth it for you to give one of these a try. Going back to the BMW may not solve the problem.
I have looked at them in the past - I have a friend in Idaho who never leaves home without his - he packs it in the belly of his motorhome, even on a week-in trip! I think i will buy one - lot's of folks feel they really help - anything is better than going under the knife - thanks - tom

Old 04-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Airborne Limited
I have experienced the same issue. I switched from a 2008 Goldwing to the Ultra Limited, so I know where you are coming from. What did it for me was the following:

1. I added the Harley Goodies Floorboard extenders. They allow me to open my legs a little bit more, which does help to take the pressure off my lower back.

2. I added a mustang back rest. The back rest made the biggest difference. Pick any make/model of back rest you like, but it will make a difference. I never take it off, even for short rides around town. Not only does it provide lower back support, but it also helps me to keep from slouching in the sit, which is easier to do with the foot forward position of the Ultra over the foot under position of the Goldwing (like you BMW).

I would also suggest looking into different risers or bars. I know you said you don't see the connection, so let me explain my thought. I don't know your body style, but feeling like you are reaching too far forward to the bars can cause you to slouch forward rather than sit up straight which will make your lower back hurt. If you don't feel like you can sit straight up in the saddle without feeling like you are reaching for the handlebars, than consider switching them or the risers out so you reach them with slouching.

Hope this helps your thought process.
It's amazing how many folks have or have had this same issue!

I did order the Mustang seat back rest - I have a Mustang Regal Touring seat now -

I put risers & pullbacks on my Wing & on my RT so maybe I do need them? A lot of the guys with BMW - RT's will buy risers & them take them off - They find they like the position better without them - so it's easy to find them for an RT used.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,120 Likes on 3,658 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Hudson
big difference in *** pain & back pain - a custom seat will take care of *** pain - it's not the bike - it's me with the problem - the riding position just isn't working for me - tom
OK. Get a back rest, Different seat with better lower back spport, My posture and overall comfort improved when i installed HD pullback touring bars...Look, i have never owned a Beemer or Goldwing... I test drove a ST1300, Goldwiing, K1200GT, R1200 something...all nice riding machines...The ride i liked the best was the Goldwing...Didn't ride for long ....My comfort level now even with Severe RA and poor circulation due to Diabetes is pretty damn good...
It sucks that the back pain is bad for you...Most people with any brand bikes change stuff on bikes to make them more comfortable....Hope you get it right..if you don't well. So be it.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
OK. Get a back rest, Different seat with better lower back spport, My posture and overall comfort improved when i installed HD pullback touring bars...Look, i have never owned a Beemer or Goldwing... I test drove a ST1300, Goldwiing, K1200GT, R1200 something...all nice riding machines...The ride i liked the best was the Goldwing...Didn't ride for long ....My comfort level now even with Severe RA and poor circulation due to Diabetes is pretty damn good...
It sucks that the back pain is bad for you...Most people with any brand bikes change stuff on bikes to make them more comfortable....Hope you get it right..if you don't well. So be it.
I'm get a handle on it - Like I said the bike isn't the problem I'm the problem - I just need to get the bike set up a little better for me & my situation - I'm working on it -

I have sold 3 bikes this past week on Craigs List - 2 honda's & a BMW - Stuff I bought this winter to sell this spring & with the price of gas my timing was pretty good I just wished I would have had more room I would have bought 2 or 3 more - I have my Ultra & my 2 restored Airheads to play with -

I just have to get "myself" restored for some summer runs - would like to do Sturgas this year, not sure yet if I can be gone that long - I'm going to Mount St. Helen's & to Tacoma to the new LaMay Auto Collection this year - So yeah I need to get my snit together!

Old 04-08-2012, 07:07 AM
dhweber1
Cruiser

I have looked at them in the past - I have a friend in Idaho who never leaves home without his - he packs it in the belly of his motorhome, even on a week-in trip! I think i will buy one - lot's of folks feel they really help - anything is better than going under the knife - thanks - tom

What this device does is to unload your spine for a few minutes. It really works. I wish that they would make a portable one so that I could pack it on my motorcycle for a trip.

If you do buy one, I suggest that you set it up so that you are at about a 45 degree angle ((head down from horizontal) until you are used to it. Make sure that it is balanced correctly also. Moving your arms from over your head to at your side will rotate it back to vertical if it is correctly balanced. It is easy to do and the instructions cover it. I keep mine at about 60 degrees and a friend rotates hers to completely feet up verticle.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:33 AM
dhweber1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dhweber1
What this device does is to unload your spine for a few minutes. It really works. I wish that they would make a portable one so that I could pack it on my motorcycle for a trip.
After I sent this reply to the thread, I got on to the Teeter website and low and behold they do make a portable device. I ordered one. There is a short video showing how to use it. Here is a link: https://www.p3backstretcher.com/

Old 04-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,120 Likes on 3,658 Posts

I'm get a handle on it - Like I said the bike isn't the problem I'm the problem - I just need to get the bike set up a little better for me & my situation - I'm working on it -

I have sold 3 bikes this past week on Craigs List - 2 honda's & a BMW - Stuff I bought this winter to sell this spring & with the price of gas my timing was pretty good I just wished I would have had more room I would have bought 2 or 3 more - I have my Ultra & my 2 restored Airheads to play with -

I just have to get "myself" restored for some summer runs - would like to do Sturgas this year, not sure yet if I can be gone that long - I'm going to Mount St. Helen's & to Tacoma to the new LaMay Auto Collection this year - So yeah I need to get my snit together!
When i bought my bike in 07 i rode 300 the first time....HOLY *** PAIN BATMAN....i was disgusted...i thought damn....Paid $18000 for a bike and the seat sucks this bad....So i bought a Mustang wide touring seat....helped and my wife loives it, then i looked for a backrest and WOW...love it, then the bars at about 40000 miles....Helped my shoulder position and made me sit up straighter....I put 360 degree adjustable highway pegs so i can put my heels on the very front of the floorboards and rest my feet on the pegs and that really helps also, i can also really stretch the legs on the pegs with this set up....
If i go on a long trip i have to get on a Prednisone regimen 4 days before....

I honestly hope you get the bike tweeked to your comfort...You may not be able to...The different bikes that are mentioned are truly different animals....Good luck.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 AM
markso55
Stage I

You might want to try a lumbar pillow. I also have lower back issues.
I need the back rest on my ultra but also found that if I have a lumbar pillow pushing against my spine it makes a world of difference. It also helps with posture. I bought mine at a medical supply store. Have also seen them online. The one I have is cylinder in shape and has an elastic strap that slides over the backrest. They come in different diameters and firmness. The 360 degree highway mounts also are great as they give you more positions for your feet. I too ride with heels on floorboards and toes on highway pegs. Good luck! Happy riding

Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

Just a little up-date - I have really limited my riding & have been taking large amounts of "Aleve" & I'm about as pain free as I have been in a long time! I don't know if the Aleve hides the pain or actually helps cure the situation - all i know is I'm feeling really good!

I took the Ultra on a short ride yesterday. I pick a rough road, I wanted to see if I can feel a major difference by bumping up the pressure in the shocks - Huge difference! Where before I would have bottomed out in a couple places the bike took the pot holes in stride.

I'm going to take a few more days off from riding & make sure my back is dialed in - My back rest will be here Monday so next week I should be able to see I think the Ultra will be my ride for the big road. I'm thinking with these changes, the Ultra will be ready for summer touring.

tom

Quick Reply: I might have screwed up selling my BMW?