Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I might have screwed up selling my BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,120 Likes on 3,658 Posts

Funny but i have heard the flip side of these comments... A lot of guys love the Electra Glide compared to the Beemers...I have 70000 miles on my bike and with the backrest and seat first then the pullback bars i can got 1000 in a day... Buddies riding K1200lt and another guy riding a St1300 and a Goldwing had just as much *** pain at the end of the trip as i did... LOt of personal preferences... I wouldn't mind having a K1200GT as a 2nd or 3rd bike but for touring... The HD is the one for me now...
Thank goodness we have choices.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbird3
Tom, I went from a BMW K1200lt to the Ultra. Hate to tell you, NO amount of money or gadget will make the Harley as long range comfortable as the BMW. I still like the Harley for what it is but there is NO comparison for touring capability or comfort. I to hate to admit when my wife is right but I can assure you having purchased Every doodad to overcome this you will not win this battle. The back rest helps but I think that is only because you will have $300 less in your wallet so the lump will be smaller. LOLOL. So far the only touring advantage I have found in favor of the Harley is the cup holder. Only $23 compared to the $160BMW version. Good luck with your cure.

Dave
I agree 100% Dave - some on here won't but they have never been to the other side - Some folks on here think the Ultra rides better than a Goldwing? - Well all I can say is their just built different then I am - I have ridden Wings over 250,000 miles without a back issue but like you I also like the Ultra for what it is but if I'm not able to ride it - then I'll have to go a different direction - I'm not bad mouthing the Harley, it's me that just doesn't fit the bike - I just got back from a ride on my r65 airhead - dem now thats a motorsycle

Old 04-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Funny but i have heard the flip side of these comments... A lot of guys love the Electra Glide compared to the Beemers...I have 70000 miles on my bike and with the backrest and seat first then the pullback bars i can got 1000 in a day... Buddies riding K1200lt and another guy riding a St1300 and a Goldwing had just as much *** pain at the end of the trip as i did... LOt of personal preferences... I wouldn't mind having a K1200GT as a 2nd or 3rd bike but for touring... The HD is the one for me now...
Thank goodness we have choices.
big difference in *** pain & back pain - a custom seat will take care of *** pain - it's not the bike - it's me with the problem - the riding position just isn't working for me - tom

Old 04-06-2012, 09:05 PM
ultra5516
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my 07 Ultra I changed the handlebars and that solved my lower back pain

Old 04-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ultra5516
I had the same problem with my 07 Ultra I changed the handlebars and that solved my lower back pain
I'm having a had time understanding how handlebars can help with lower back? - I can see helping shoulder pain but not lower back? What bars did you go to

Old 04-06-2012, 09:48 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Allow your seat to break in(5-6K), handlebar adjustment is also important. Move your feet around to different areas of the boards. Foot position can make a big differance.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Blackbird3
Intermediate

Its all about the seating/riding position. If the riders feet are in Front of the ***/tailbone your spine will absorb all the weight and shock. Any BMW, FJR, ST13, touring design has the riders feet/pegs directly under the seat allowing the driver to arch forward slightly (i.e. Yoda). Bars, seat, beads, etc will not correct this style on the Ultra for you. You could always try riding with your feet on the passengers pegs? Don't recommend it. Everyone who hasn't tried it will Knock sport bikes or (crotch rockets) as Looking uncomfortable to drive but it is actually the most ergonomic position for the body and comfort. Again, this is not a knock on the Harley but the ride is not for everyone. FYI. Very nice R65, looks amazing!!

Dave

Old 04-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Blackbird3
Its all about the seating/riding position. If the riders feet are in Front of the ***/tailbone your spine will absorb all the weight and shock. Any BMW, FJR, ST13, touring design has the riders feet/pegs directly under the seat allowing the driver to arch forward slightly (i.e. Yoda). Bars, seat, beads, etc will not correct this style on the Ultra for you. You could always try riding with your feet on the passengers pegs? Don't recommend it. Everyone who hasn't tried it will Knock sport bikes or (crotch rockets) as Looking uncomfortable to drive but it is actually the most ergonomic position for the body and comfort. Again, this is not a knock on the Harley but the ride is not for everyone. FYI. Very nice R65, looks amazing!!

Dave
If you liked the r65 you might love my r100t

Old 04-07-2012, 05:19 AM
ultra5516
Cruiser

I went with the ergo bars part # 6011038 (up-back) it stops you frrom leaning forward and down all I know it work for me

Old 04-07-2012, 02:20 PM
dhweber1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tom Hudson
I bought the my Ultra Classic a few weeks ago - I have only put 1,500 miles on it this winter but ride it some almost every day around town & have been on a few 100 mile rides - My problem is my lower back - it's killing me - I never had this problem before - it started about the same time I got the Ultra - I'm wondering if the setting position is the problem? On the Ultra all my weight is on the small of my back, with my legs going forward - With my BMW my legs are under me handling some of the weight? anyone else had this issue? I know if i hit a pot hole I really feel a sharp pain in my lower back - problem is now the pain just won't go away - What you think?- tom
I have a similar problem. Once I got a lower back pain it was difficult to get rid of. That is until I purchased an inversion table. http://www.teeter-inversion.com/. After only 10 or 15 minutes on this thing, I get relief. Actually, when I first get off of the thing, my back hurts as bad as when I got on it. About 20 minutes later, like magic, the pain is usually gone. If I discipline myself to use it every day I have fewer incidents of pain.

It may be worth it for you to give one of these a try. Going back to the BMW may not solve the problem.

Quick Reply: I might have screwed up selling my BMW?