Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle bag speaker questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

At highway speeds you will have difficulty hearing the bag speakers.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:14 PM
madcardisease
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im getting ready to mount 6x9's in my hard bags.....does anyone have pictures of single 6x9's and how they are mounted?

Old 04-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Bocifus
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madcardisease
Im getting ready to mount 6x9's in my hard bags.....does anyone have pictures of single 6x9's and how they are mounted?
Any idea how you want to mount them, facing forward, facing inward? There are lid mounts as well.

I have mine facing forward. I had to make spacers, 1/2 inch painted plywood, mounted to the inside with Gorilla Glue. Screwed the speakers to the plywood. Drilled holes in the hard bags in a starburst pattern to let the sound out.

Let us know what you have in mind.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:18 PM
madcardisease
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bocifus
Any idea how you want to mount them, facing forward, facing inward? There are lid mounts as well.

I have mine facing forward. I had to make spacers, 1/2 inch painted plywood, mounted to the inside with Gorilla Glue. Screwed the speakers to the plywood. Drilled holes in the hard bags in a starburst pattern to let the sound out.

Let us know what you have in mind.
Thought about mounting them foward. I was told not to do that....how has yours worked out for you? Was told to face the to the rear wheel. Just looking for all options. No lids, they are not something I can spring foe right now.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Bocifus
Road Captain

Thought about mounting them foward. I was told not to do that....how has yours worked out for you? Was told to face the to the rear wheel. Just looking for all options. No lids, they are not something I can spring foe right now.
I went with them mounted forward so as to have more room in my saddlebags. Cruising around town, the speakers are just fine. Once I would jump on the freeway the wind would kill them add in that I wear a half helmet.

At first I didn't have a windshield, now that I have one wind isn't so much of a problem. I added cycle sounds speakers to my handlebars, now that I have four speakers, I can hear just fine, even without the windshield on, while heading down the freeway.

I haven't heard a bike with the speakers mounted inward, so I cannot comment on them. I've a buddy that has just the forward mounted speakers and he can hear his, so he says just fine running down the freeway.

This all being said, my hearing is fubar, from playing drums in bands without wearing earplugs for too many years. You mileage will def. vary.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 PM
madcardisease
Advanced

No issues with damage to speakers? Wet, wind etc... I was strongly considering mounting foward. Do you have any pictures?

Old 04-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Bocifus
Road Captain

No issues with damage to speakers? Wet, wind etc... I was strongly considering mounting foward. Do you have any pictures?
I have ARC marine speakers. I'll take some pics of the speakers. No problems so far with wind or water. I live in So Cal, so rain isn't much of a factor, but I have been caught out in some rain a few times, speakers are still working fine.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mount them in the rear half of the bag,.........so the shock tunnel isn't in the way.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:40 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

I started off with a set of Hogtune speakers in the fairing, added an old Soundstream amp to power them. Sounds good. Then I added the Hogtune rear speaker pods powered by radio, can't hear them, so I added a CVO amp underneath the tourpak. And I adjusted the gain on the front amp so it's equal volume between front fairing and rear pods speakers, in my garage.

I always wear helmet when riding. Even with 1/2 helmet, the only time I hear the rear speaker is when I shut off the bike, the rear will shut off about 1/2 sec after the front. I tried playing with the fader while riding, can't even tell the difference if the rear pod speakers are on or not.

All said and done, I wouldn't recommend any rear speakers, TP pods or lid mounted for that matter. Unless there is a passenger. I say save your money, and concentrate on the front.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:41 AM
angelrod
Road Captain

Try it first with just the bag speakers. ,,,, that's the starting pt. you can always add the crashbar speakers latter. Make sure you go with 4channel amp. or 6 channels with built in crossover . so if you add some speakers latter on your good to go. My suggestions . 1st alpine digital amp. 4 channels ,2nd jls , 6 channels . good luck.

Quick Reply: Saddle bag speaker questions