Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle bag speaker questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:33 PM
johnnyusmc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bcane98
Save yourself the trouble and just hook up the front end amp/speakers... You (the rider) won't hear the rear ones anyway... add in a 4 channel amp with some lower speakers in if you want it LOUD!!!

Just my 2¢
Do you mean the big ones on the crash bar?

Old 04-07-2012, 01:36 AM
bcane98
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyusmc
Do you mean the big ones on the crash bar?
Yup... I ride an Ultra (that is quickly become a SG), so I have the lower fairings. I was going to run with lid speakers in my bags, but I can't even hear the speaker pods on my tour pack. My current setup is loud enough for my passenger to hear with a FF helmet on. I've talked with a few guys who run these with speakers, and a couple had RK's with lowers and loved the setup. I can't remember where they put the amps, but I want to say in the saddlebag if I remember correctly.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:25 AM
johnnyusmc
Advanced

http://www.motorcyclespeakers.net/sh...-prd1.htmwould these speakers work on the crash bars angled up? Says 2 channel 150w amp so 300 I guess. I don't know much about speakers. Could I head these at highway speeds. If sowhat speed do you think they would drown out at?
Thanks for all the help.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Bocifus
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
What speakers & amp are you using ??
Arc audio 6x9 marine speakers, and the amp is a Vibe Audio Litebox http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-LiteBox4.html, which looks to be discontinued. I did some homework and found the Vibe is/was a knockoff of the Arc mini KS125.4, I was also looking at Elf amps. All of these amps are small, I also have a 500 watt Vibe Litebox, but it doesn't have the fan, so if the 1000 watt amp goes bad, I'll swap in the 500 watt which is even smaller. But the 1000 watt amp has given me zero problems. Doesn't get over heated.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:43 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocifus
Arc audio 6x9 marine speakers, and the amp is a Vibe Audio Litebox http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-LiteBox4.html, which looks to be discontinued. I did some homework and found the Vibe is/was a knockoff of the Arc mini KS125.4, I was also looking at Elf amps. All of these amps are small, I also have a 500 watt Vibe Litebox, but it doesn't have the fan, so if the 1000 watt amp goes bad, I'll swap in the 500 watt which is even smaller. But the 1000 watt amp has given me zero problems. Doesn't get over heated.
These numbers make NO sense to me ???

• 4 ohms: 90 watts x 4 chan.
  • 2 ohms: 125 watts x 4 chan.
  • Bridged, 4 ohms: 250 watts x 2 chan.
If you can't hear this thing on the highway, you aren't pushing anything near 1000 watts.

I wonder how much power it's really pushing for $169. They say that you get what you pay for. Something isn't adding up.

None of those combos add up to 1000 watts, do they ???

How did you wire your speakers, and how many ohm are they ???

Last edited by GLACIERPEARL; 04-07-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Bocifus
Road Captain

Me not hearing the music had more to do with the way my speakers are mounted, plus I didn't have the cholos at the time, had Vance & Hines that ended right before the hard bags so the sound of the exhaust and wind overpowered the music. The cholos have been my latest addition, which puts the exhaust sound behind me. Added the windshield now I can hear the music at any speed.

Last edited by Bocifus; 04-07-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: My brother-in-law is lazy!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:31 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

If I was to buy a new bike it would be a road king with the Boom Audio Cruiser Amp and Speaker Kit, Windshield-Mounted with a set of lowers with built in speakers to match it. I ride solo so the sound is all for me.

As far as Saddle bag speakers waste of time for the driver unless your going to sink some serious money into amp's & speakers which would eat up any cargo room.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Bocifus
Road Captain

The numbers you quoted from the web site are RMS power ratings:

RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 90 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 125 watts x 4 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 250 watts x 2 chan.

RMS stands for root mean squared.

You use RMS to tell you in part how loud the speakers are going to be, you also use its sensitivity rating.

RMS also tells you the most amount of watts that your speaker can handle on a continuous basis. This is the figure you use when looking for an amplifier and powering the speaker.

You can find more about RMS power ratings here:
http://www.aqdi.com/rms.htm

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
These numbers make NO sense to me ???

• 4 ohms: 90 watts x 4 chan.
  • 2 ohms: 125 watts x 4 chan.
  • Bridged, 4 ohms: 250 watts x 2 chan.
If you can't hear this thing on the highway, you aren't pushing anything near 1000 watts.

I wonder how much power it's really pushing for $169. They say that you get what you pay for. Something isn't adding up.

None of those combos add up to 1000 watts, do they ???

How did you wire your speakers, and how many ohm are they ???

Last edited by Bocifus; 04-08-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: My brother-in-law is a lazy SOB!
Old 04-08-2012, 12:38 AM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rms is continuos power supplied. not peak. Rms is what you should base your stereo building numbers off of. funny how most amps say a 1000 watts then only make 550 Rms. it's like that amp ate it wheaties that day when it got tested.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:37 PM
blacknight85
Cruiser

I just purchaed this amp for my speaker set up (Polk 6.5 & Polk 6X9 in saddle bags)

The price was good and if it doesnt work the way I want I wont feel bad loosing 50 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Enrock-EKM008A.../dp/B007PT3DCQ

Quick Reply: Saddle bag speaker questions