Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 PM
big ears
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Citgo may market oil but they do not produce it. Like many that market oil they buy and add their additives. Citgo gas is also sent every where. You may buy it as Conoco, Cheveron, Shell or many others that buy Citgo gas with their additives added right at the Citgo Refinery at Lake Charles La. You never really know what base gasoline you get unless you investigate. This is fact. I have worked for Citgo for 35 years and still have relatives working there. Citgo shut down their lubes and wax plant in 08. I along with about 100 operators shut it down. When they paid us off we signed a gag order not to bad mouth the company or its personel, so I can't say bad things about L'Presidento. Yuk Yuk Citgo oil would also be shipped to many other companies of which I have seen bill of ladens. Quaker State and Shell to name a few. They then add there secret additives. See it is hard to avoil bad guys. This is nothing new. Been doing it for years. Worked with guys from Quaker State in PA after their plant was shut down. Wonder why canned oil is so high.

Last edited by big ears; 04-06-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:49 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have been using HD branded oil since long before there was synthetic oils and I have never had an oil related problem.

I don't really care which country the oil originally comes from because I would rather use up their natural resources than ours. Save ours for my great grandchildren when they come along.

Besides, all of it is refined here in the USA.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New Packaging Nothing More.

They are re-packaging every trinket, polish, cleaner etc.

Everything they have is going to change,....Marketing 101.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:04 AM
the bad bagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run AMSOIL in my 06 RG 25,000 miles runs like the day I bought it off the showroom floor. I get it for about $9.50 a quart. bestcruiserlube.com

Old 04-08-2012, 07:43 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

HD contracts with oil companies for their oil. They put it up for bid, lowest bidder gets it. The new bottles are the result of a new oil company getting the latest bid, nothing more, nothing less. The oil is made to HD's specs, so their should be no difference in the newly packaged oil except the botles.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
HD contracts with oil companies for their oil. They put it up for bid, lowest bidder gets it. The new bottles are the result of a new oil company getting the latest bid, nothing more, nothing less. The oil is made to HD's specs, so their should be no difference in the newly packaged oil except the botles.
And there you have it

Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 AM
akjeff
Advanced

Pretty funny how some folks bash Syn3 as "Chavez Oil" blah, blah.....and then buy Mobil 1 at Walmart....one of the biggest parasite corporations in the world. The internet is a funny place.

More than likely, if you keep to a sensible oil/filter change schedule, it really doesn't matter what brand of properly rated oil you use. Fun to argue about, I suppose.

Jeff

Old 04-08-2012, 12:12 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by akjeff
Pretty funny how some folks bash Syn3 as "Chavez Oil" blah, blah.....and then buy Mobil 1 at Walmart....one of the biggest parasite corporations in the world. The internet is a funny place.

More than likely, if you keep to a sensible oil/filter change schedule, it really doesn't matter what brand of properly rated oil you use. Fun to argue about, I suppose.

Jeff
Its even funnier how people with no oil experience other than changing the fluids in thier own bike are so adamant that thier choice of oil is the best and that overpriced 11.00 a quart crap Harley sells is so inferior to the 10.50 a quart brand X they choose.

BTW the comment on dealer greed, if you care to to look past the end of your dick you just might notice that the motor company sets those prices, not the dealer!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 PM
akjeff
Advanced

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Its even funnier how people with no oil experience other than changing the fluids in thier own bike are so adamant that thier choice of oil is the best and that overpriced 11.00 a quart crap Harley sells is so inferior to the 10.50 a quart brand X they choose.

BTW the comment on dealer greed, if you care to to look past the end of your dick you just might notice that the motor company sets those prices, not the dealer!

Old 04-08-2012, 05:14 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by akjeff
+1

There will never be consensus on which oil is the best. That said, I agree with Jeff. It doesn't matter what you buy or how much you spend, as long as you maintain the recommended intervals for oil/filter changes.

Quick Reply: Is this true?