Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,933 Likes on 3,548 Posts

as long as you change it at regular intervals any 15w50 or 20w50 will work, the full syn will run a bit cooler...I get NAPA full syn at $4.99 za qt. Made by Ashland...Makers of Valvoline.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Reformulated? This stuff has worked great for decades.
I agree, I have tried Amsoil and Lucas in the primary and the Formula + just seems to work the best for me.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also keep in mind that "Full Synthetic" is a rather loose term these days. It can be any combination of group III, IV, or V oils. Most likely predominately group III unless otherwise specified. At least that's my understanding. Personally, I opt for Redline, but would not fault anyone else on their choice.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Mark is right. Many good articles written about this subject. Some "synthetic" oils. like the original Syn 3 have a base of dyno oil and other ingredients.
All About Motor Oil Good info here if you're not already bored with the subject.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:58 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flipbel
Is this a true syn oil or is it just a face lift. I went by the stealer yeaterday and saw this new syn 20/50 motor oil. The dude said it was true syn oil and that they do not carry the other type anymore. Can anyone show me the light!!!!
IIRC, MoCo recently ended their business relationship with the company who was previously supplying its Syn3 lube. Was it Castrol? Anyway, the new packaging is probably a result of a new distributor.

I'm sure someone closer to the facts will chime in soon.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:22 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big ears
Citgo doesn't make oil anymore. I worked at the last lube plant they had. It was shut down in 08. Made some of the best oil you could get but no synthetic. Never produced synthetic. They paid us pretty well when they shut it down here in Louisiana. I bought my Ultra from the payment.
Thanks for that info-- I wonder if Citgo have their fluids blended by another refiner? Im a bit out of touch being outside of the USA, but I did think Citgo still held the contract, but happy to be wrong on that asI hate to think our hard earned $$$ was going to Chavez.

Wish there was good info on who it actually is at the present time.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 PM
unbesiegebarone
Stage I

I used Amsoil in my ,02 V Rod and now in my '11 Street Glide. Smoother shifts and ran way cooler, fan ran half the time. Heat is an engine killer, less heat means less friction, means longer engine life. Thats the difference Worth the 9 bucks a quart!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 PM
mac0478
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bigdave12768
Buy Mobil1 syn for vtwins
Amen.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Is there any real evidence out there that this oil is crap? Or even that it is mediocre?

Tell you what. Got a buddy that works for a major oil company. I'll see if I can get them to test it and compare it to other,"better", oils.
Now your talking Danny, let's finally put this dead horse to bed and let's get that sh$$ tested and move on............

Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by big ears
Citgo doesn't make oil anymore. I worked at the last lube plant they had. It was shut down in 08. Made some of the best oil you could get but no synthetic. Never produced synthetic. They paid us pretty well when they shut it down here in Louisiana. I bought my Ultra from the payment.
It's amazing how many ignored the above which is one of the few posts in this thread that isn't BS and kept bashing SYN3 as Chavez oil...

Quick Reply: Is this true?