Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM
blarg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 68 Shovelking
I did a little research on these oils, they are made by Citgo.
If that's true, that I won't be putting that commie-made Venezuelan crap in my bike. Ever.

My dealer offers Redline and Royal Purple as an option.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:21 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blarg
If that's true, that I won't be putting that commie-made Venezuelan crap in my bike. Ever.

My dealer offers Redline and Royal Purple as an option.

It is true that Citgo still has the oil contract for HD. Who would want to support that megalomaniac and buy there oil from the lowest bidder anyway?

Actually Valvoline VR-1 20w-50 racing oil get a very good report on BITOG used oil analysis reports. Wish we could get it in Oz.

I use Heavy Duty diesel oil (designated CI-4) 15w-50 in the cooler weather and couldn't be happier.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:23 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

...there really is no reason to worry about oil...Syn 3, Mobil 1, Autozone, Walmart, Fred's discount oil.....as long as an oil is Diesel Rated, and the right viscosity for your climate...it's ok in a Harley...

Old 04-04-2012, 06:09 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,751 Likes on 674 Posts

I think it's funny how some people say Syn3 is crap when the only thing they know about oil is what they read on an internet forum.

I've run Syn3 in my 2000 SE Road Glide for the last 130,000 miles without a single problem that could possibly be related to oil. I put in gear drive cams at 57,000 miles, other than that, the motor has never been touched. Still runs great. My wife put 90,000 miles on her Sportster running Syn3 with no problems, traded the Sporty in for an 05 FLHT. It has over 50,000 miles running Syn3 with zero problems. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Or maybe it's a good quality oil that does what it's supposed to.

Some Harley dealers may be greedy, but the engineers that design the motors and specify the oil to be used are not stupid. They would not recomend a "crap" oil that would cause problems and/or warrantee issues.

Are there better oils? Mobil1, amsoil, etc? Maybe, but are they really that much better?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:02 PM
big ears
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Citgo doesn't make oil anymore. I worked at the last lube plant they had. It was shut down in 08. Made some of the best oil you could get but no synthetic. Never produced synthetic. They paid us pretty well when they shut it down here in Louisiana. I bought my Ultra from the payment.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 Shovelking
Warranty may be a good reason to use HD oils.
I'm sorry this is a BS statement. There is a law that states it is up to the warranty provider to prove the oil in this case was not the correct oil specified by the manufacturer. If Harley said that you have to use Harley oil to keep your warranty good then they would have to provide the oil free.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 PM
kmvallee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Dakotazeb
Why not buy Syn3?? #1 reason is that it's made by Citgo and Citgo is owned by Petroleos de Venezuela, which is the national oil company of Venezuela.

Hugo F*cking Chavez................................No thanks.

Harley Davidson, the most efficient way to turn gas into loud noise without the side affect of horsepower!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:53 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakotazeb
Why not buy Syn3?? #1 reason is that it's made by Citgo and Citgo is owned by Petroleos de Venezuela, which is the national oil company of Venezuela.
Dito!! Not happening.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:55 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At around $12 per quart the Syn3 stuff is way too pricey. But i became a believer in synthetic oil with my Deuce 10 years ago. I had one of those oil temperature dipsticks and always kept an eye on the temperature. The bike had the regular fossil stuff when I bought it. After switching to synthetic at the first oil change I noticed that the temperature dropped 15 degrees. All else being equal, I attribute the temperature drop to a reduction in friction.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:06 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

$11.00 bucks per quart for Chavez special SYN3?? I buy Amsoil for $10.50 per qt.. I change my oil and filter every 5k, which adds up to 2 changes per season roughly. In the overall financial scheme, the diff. between running inexpensive oil vs high quality/higher priced oil is insignificant (The way my wife and Daughter spend my money anyway...LOL) AND...it might save you a bundle of hard earned cash down the road, if you avoid engine repair work...Ride safe.

Quick Reply: Is this true?