Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stebel Horn

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:29 AM
nivensid
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stebel Horn

I was cleaning the bike the other day and it looked like a Stebel Air Horn would fit under the tour pak behind the license plate? That way I could leave the compressor mounted with the horn. Anyone done this? I will post pics when I get it completed this weekennd hopefully.

Thanks

Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I've not tried that. However, it seems to me that you would be defeating the purpose of the horn. Mounting it under the tour pack would muffle the sound. It would be covered up on all sides except to the rear.. And when you combine that with placing it at the rear of the bike, might as well leave on the stock horn.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:49 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

There is a post some while ago about fitting one behind the saddlebag.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:28 PM
NC_John
Intermediate

You can do a clean install of the stebel under the chrome cowbell- CHEAP.

Remove the horn body from the compressor (cut it off). Then you'll have to JB Weld one hose barb fitting onto the horn body and one onto the compressor so you can interconnect the two. There is room underneath the cowbell for the new horn when you remove the electric pip-squeak. I actually have mine zip-tied underneath (you can't see the zipties- the go around the brackets on the rear). Install the compressor under the seat in that opening in front of the battery. Run a length of hose for your air line between the two. Unless you get on your hands and knees and stare at the cowbell or notice the hose replacing the electric wires, it looks bone-stock. I've had mine this way since early 05.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:33 PM
2d3k2h
Cruiser

did that same set-up on my 06.....didn't use jb weld just ran a barbed end in and has worked for 6 years.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put the horn where the cowbell was. Works great...

Old 04-04-2012, 06:49 PM
rustybearing
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I separated the horn and the compressor and mounted them under the fairing. Works well also. Got rid of the cowbell.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 PM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess it would be good if you want to scare your riding friends behind you.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I mounted a Stebel air horn under the seat of one motorcycle I use to own. As far as sound level, it remained extremely loud and every car around me heard it just fine.

So my comments to the naysayers is that until you have performed a horn mount in an alternative place such as the OP is suggesting, it may be best to speak from experience, not supposition.

To the OP...based on my past experiences with alternate horn mounting positions, mounting the horn under the tour pak will be a workable alternate mounting site. Try to keep the compressor vertical if possible, since that is what the instructions say to do. Direct the sound to the left side if you can. It really doesn't matter much because at 137 dB, those darn horns are super loud and high pitched. They will be heard regardless of the mounting place.

Also, remember to feed that booger with a 30 amp automotive relay....One usually comes with the horn....those small compressors pull about 18 amps at 13.8 volts. Use #14 or #16 gauge stranded wire to feed it. Use the voltage going to the stock horn to energize the relay coil when you press the horn button. In fact, you can just leave the stock horn in place, tap off the spade terminals of the stock horn to energize the automotive relay driving your Stebel, then you have two horns.

On my present bike, I went away from air horns entirely. I purchased an automotive high tone and low tone horn, mounted one under the cowbell, and the other on the steel panel just to the rear of the rear cylinder on my 2010. My horn sounds like a car horn and it's pretty darn loud to boot. I still use a relay to feed these electric horns because they are high output horns and together pull too much current to just run them through the stock horn switch contacts. Good luck with your install.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:11 PM
nivensid
Tourer

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
I mounted a Stebel air horn under the seat of one motorcycle I use to own. As far as sound level, it remained extremely loud and every car around me heard it just fine.

So my comments to the naysayers is that until you have performed a horn mount in an alternative place such as the OP is suggesting, it may be best to speak from experience, not supposition.

To the OP...based on my past experiences with alternate horn mounting positions, mounting the horn under the tour pak will be a workable alternate mounting site. Try to keep the compressor vertical if possible, since that is what the instructions say to do. Direct the sound to the left side if you can. It really doesn't matter much because at 137 dB, those darn horns are super loud and high pitched. They will be heard regardless of the mounting place.

Also, remember to feed that booger with a 30 amp automotive relay....One usually comes with the horn....those small compressors pull about 18 amps at 13.8 volts. Use #14 or #16 gauge stranded wire to feed it. Use the voltage going to the stock horn to energize the relay coil when you press the horn button. In fact, you can just leave the stock horn in place, tap off the spade terminals of the stock horn to energize the automotive relay driving your Stebel, then you have two horns.

On my present bike, I went away from air horns entirely. I purchased an automotive high tone and low tone horn, mounted one under the cowbell, and the other on the steel panel just to the rear of the rear cylinder on my 2010. My horn sounds like a car horn and it's pretty darn loud to boot. I still use a relay to feed these electric horns because they are high output horns and together pull too much current to just run them through the stock horn switch contacts. Good luck with your install.
Thanks for the support....