Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evaluation of 3 LRS Street Glide Windshields (8" Ultra, 8" Flat-Top, 9" Stealth)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 07:24 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,842 Likes on 22,753 Posts

Originally Posted by Dailydbl
Ditto. I have an "original" LRS recurve that I replaced with an Ultra last year. After I put the new Ultra on, I immediately thought the original had a better clean pocket. After almost a year with the Ultra, I put the "original" back on about two weeks ago and I am certain that it does in fact have a cleaner pocket on my scooter. I wish LSR would make that shield again. I'd buy one.

Matt, are you listening?
One would probably have to go with Clearview's recurve now as they still do a slight recurve in the 9.5. A little more pricey, but you would get what you want..

Old 04-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

So far it seems that we have close to identical experiences with the three shields. I have accumulated a 7" and 9" Ultras, 8" and 10" Flat tops, and I had a 6" and a 9" Xstream (original version of the Stealth). I like all of them, however after tonight I am adamant that my travel shield will be the 10" flattop. At the same height and inseam as the op wearing a Shark Evoline helmet, I had no problems with buffeting, but got a great breeze on my arms. The wife said she loved the 10 over the 8 as she did not have her mic on her half helmet bouncing all over, or have the VOX constantly opening (which was a problem with the other shields on the interstate. I still like the 8"Flattop for around town.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:00 PM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just added my evaluation of the 10" Stealth to my first post.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:16 PM
dynawideglider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boom23
As the windhield has a narrow lip area, the wind next to my ears seemed to be coming mostly from the front. So, this shield may not provide the best protection for the passenger. I still got some sunglass vibration from 60+mph but it was not as bad. The turbulence felt a little weaker. It is hard to desctibe but it felt like I was riding a bike and the wind was hitting my face (but with much less force than my actual speed). So, as far as I am concerned the windshield did what it was supposed to do (for the rider). Again, I noticed that if I ducked my head as if it was a see-through windshield, it got much quieter. This windshield seems to be having a positive effect on turbulence.

Any noticeable difference in stability on the front end? The Ultra de-stabilizes my machine, curious about this shield. I have found that fairing deflectors do a lot to stabilize the front end with an Ultra.

Where on your helmet did the turbulence hit you? A 1/2 inch can make a big difference. I base my judgement on where the bugs hit.

Have you since ridden this with a passenger? I've found that windshields with a narrower zone of wind deflection, especially on an SG, can sometimes be a positive for the passenger. My pax seems to prefer the HD 7inch Wind Sweeper over the 8in Ultra (no comments about "preferred" inches, please).

Have you developed a refined opinion on where the wind buffeting is coming from since you first posted this? The wind on an SG can be deceptive, more comes from below than we initially realize.

Have you tried this windshield with any other wind-related components (fork baffel, fairing deflectors, etc.)? Some components can increase or decrease wind buffeting when used with other parts, at least that's what I've found, and the windshield can be a key factor. Fairing deflectors do seem to work better with the Ultra windshield.

I'm not trying to be a PITA, we're the same height and in-seam and ride the same machine, it's hard to find opinions that comparable.

I like the Ultra and have worked with it and other components to improve my ride. I just want to be certain of the stealth before I invest any more duckies.

I'd also be curious as to any opinions regarding the laser etching LRS does. They look pretty good to me, at least on-line, and I've got a cool idea.....

Thanks
Scott

Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm 6' and have the 8" ultra in dark tint on a 2012 street glide and I think it does really well.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

Great reviews, Thanks!

Although i do not have a LRS shield, a couple of my friends do. They have me convinced that my next shield will come from them. Great people that stand behind their products.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:24 PM
ebigfish
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been rockin the 10" XStream (forerunner to the Stealth) for over a year now and love it... I really like the stability it gives me at high speed. (6 speed and stage 1 103... what can i say...)

I don't do passengers, so it suite me to a T.

I do need to update my pics...

ps... I use the 2 pouch fairing bag with no problem.

Last edited by ebigfish; 04-18-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 AM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dynawideglider
Any noticeable difference in stability on the front end? The Ultra de-stabilizes my machine, curious about this shield. I have found that fairing deflectors do a lot to stabilize the front end with an Ultra.
Frankly, I've never felt the SG front unstable... I've driven fast and in many high wind conditions. I can imagine that having a passenger and gear in the back would unload the front of the bike. I would think that the Stealth windshield would put some more down pressure on the front.

Where on your helmet did the turbulence hit you? A 1/2 inch can make a big difference. I base my judgement on where the bugs hit.
I've had no bugs hit me yet... I just place my hand in different places in front of me to feel the wind. With all the shields, except the 9" Stealth, the wind coming from over the windshield would hit the top of my helmet. I still get turbulence from below.

Have you since ridden this with a passenger? I've found that windshields with a narrower zone of wind deflection, especially on an SG, can sometimes be a positive for the passenger. My pax seems to prefer the HD 7inch Wind Sweeper over the 8in Ultra (no comments about "preferred" inches, please).
My wife thinks I am crazy that I ride a motorcycle, and I agree with her some times. But, I love bike riding. So, no passengers for me.

Have you developed a refined opinion on where the wind buffeting is coming from since you first posted this? The wind on an SG can be deceptive, more comes from below than we initially realize.
Most buffetting on my SG comes from below. I have found that the fork deflectors help the most, for me. I just don't like the way they look and I think they affect engine cooling in a negative way. This may not be an issue in cold climate areas.

Have you tried this windshield with any other wind-related components (fork baffel, fairing deflectors, etc.)? Some components can increase or decrease wind buffeting when used with other parts, at least that's what I've found, and the windshield can be a key factor. Fairing deflectors do seem to work better with the Ultra windshield.
I do not have the fork baffle. I have the adjustable fairing deflectors. When it is hot and I open the fairing deflectors, I found that they clean the air behind the fairing. I get more air but less turbulence. I also have the fairing lowers which I think may contribute to the turbulence. They seem to create a high pressure (high speed wind) area between them and the fairing. This faster air hits my legs and tank and them comes up. This is not good for turbulence. But, I think the lower fairings help with engine cooling as they also direct air toward the engine. Turbulence is also exaggerated when I put my feet on the engine guard foot pegs.

I'm not trying to be a PITA, we're the same height and in-seam and ride the same machine, it's hard to find opinions that comparable.

I like the Ultra and have worked with it and other components to improve my ride. I just want to be certain of the stealth before I invest any more duckies.
No problem. I understand. I cannot possibly tell you if you are going to like the Stealth as any difference in the wind/bikes/helmets/goggles/etc. can make it feel completely different for you. I like it for many different reasons but it is not a cure for the SG buffeting problems. The fairing creates a big air hole. That hole has to be filled with something so other air rushes in to take up the space. Keeping everything else constant, the closer you are to the fairing, the less turbulence you will feel. The wider the air hole, the less turbulence you will feel (but the bike air resistance increases). The faster you go, the stronger the turbulence. I can go on and on... So, everything is a variable and a compromise. You just have to find what you can live with.

I'd also be curious as to any opinions regarding the laser etching LRS does. They look pretty good to me, at least on-line, and I've got a cool idea.....
The new LRS windshields I received have a small stick-on oval LRS logo at the bottom middle of the windshield. I think it looks nice.

Thanks
Scott
You're welcome. I hope I helped a little.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:17 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have often wondered if a small slit in a windshield would help with turbulance?

Somthing to drop the pressure gradient

Old 04-19-2012, 04:35 AM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by captainmorgan71
I'm your height at 6"1 and 8 is to short
I am 6'3" and traded the 8" for a 9" with a buddy. I like the 9" better. At your height you may be in the same boat.

Before I go on another trip it will buy an 11" shield.

mikebaby

Quick Reply: Evaluation of 3 LRS Street Glide Windshields (8" Ultra, 8" Flat-Top, 9" Stealth)