Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

zuma 550 gps

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 12:52 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts
Default zuma 550 gps

whats you opinion of zuma 550? feedback?
looks sweet and good price on gpsdiscount.com

Old 12-28-2006, 03:14 PM
chesterbud
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: zuma 550 gps

There have been many posts on this recently. Do a search and find everything you'll need.

I will be getting one of these in the near future. I played with one at a bike show and it looks great.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:45 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

few clicks later..... just ordered one from gpsdiscount.com. At first thought I was just getting another toy but thought of all the times I just ride around and get lost! Now in a few days I will have" help me posts" on the forum to install. A side note do a price$ search ,gpsdiscount.com was about the cheapest with 2 day delivery. did see some new/used for literally a few dollers less but stuck with lead from hdforum.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Doc
Cruiser

I have one and love it. Here is a forum for the Zumo. Hope it helps.

ZUMO

Old 12-28-2006, 11:21 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

THANKS DOC

Old 12-29-2006, 11:42 AM
rreffner
Cruiser

I got a Zumo this Christmas from the kids. It's my first GPS. Here is the scoop.

#1: I can get lost in my back yard. When I used to deer hunt, years ago, I was always getting lost. I even got lost in a parking lot once.

#2: I am a technology freak.

Anyway, I mounted the Zumo to the clutch housing and went for a ride. I had to move my eyes too far away from my primary gaze for comfort. I removed the mount and went to the c-clamp and relocated the GPS closer to the steering head and higher. Much better position IMO for riding comfort. Now only a slight gaze down from primary.

I live in North Florida and took a trip into South Georgia. I went on secondary roads and got good and lost on purpose. Maybe 50 or so miles from home. I stopped by the side of the road and hit 'go home.' I had the audio output of the Zumo plugged into the radio (2006 RoadGlide). I followed the prompts and became 'unlost' with ease. During the ride home I took a left instead of the right which Zumo told me to take. Zumo did a quick recalculation and got me back on course. Therefore, for me, the 'go home' feature would be justfication enough for me to purchase the device on my own.

I also like seeing what roads or streets are coming up, etc.

I wired direct to the battery but will probably put an SAE connector on in place and plug into the SAE connector I use for the Battery Tender. I will use one or the other anyway and give me a way to 'switch' off the cradle.

Getting experiance using Mapquest is next.

The unit looks good on the bike. The screen is easy to see except when the bright sun shines directly on it. I have not tried it at night.

Overall, I am very pleased with the device and recommend GPS for those who travel to unknown places, especally those who get lost easily. Amazing technology.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:57 AM
kdietz
Road Captain

I'll be giving mine a test this weekend. It's an impressive package....auto mount and motorcycle mount are both included along with necessary power and USB cords....makes the price seem better as the 2nd mount is extra on most systems.

I've got mine mounted to my '06 Ultra with the supplied RAM mount and the voice prompts work great thru my headset or dash speakers....I've got the XM antenna coming next week.....$220 extra, but worth it to me to have it all integrated on the Zumo

This is my first GPS and it's been easy to use.....I'm still working on learning the MapSource program so I can design routes on the computer and then download to the Zumo

More to come

Karl

Old 12-29-2006, 12:09 PM
jmorton10
Road Captain

The Zumo looks to be an awesome unit although rather pricey.

If you don't need the extra features, you can get the exact same basic GPS operation(route to home, creating & loading specific routes, recalculation after a wrong turn etc etc etc)from many of the less expensive Garmin units.

I have been using a Garmin 2610 on my bike for a couple years & I still see little reason to upgrade at this point. When the Zumo drops to a reasonable price I may pick one up, but for now my 2610 uses the exact same maps & the same version of Mapsource/CityNav as the lastest units so as far as routing/getting lost etc I would gain nothing by upgrading.

I already have XM & Bluetooth & my stereo plays MP3's, so I'm pretty well set for now. I bought a brand new Garmin 2610 on ebay to give to someone for Christmas recently for $250.

~John

Old 12-29-2006, 12:12 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone got pics of the Zumo on their bike? I'm not sure how it would look? I've never seen the Zumo so I'm not sure how big it is.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Road Glider
Tourer

Check out the link below. Many pictures there! I'm thinking about getting one too!

ZUMO

Quick Reply: zuma 550 gps