Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Tour pack rack question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 AM
speedydog5
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Detachable Tour pack rack question

what is the difference between the rack i have a 2009 street glide it calls for a part # 53276-09a i just bought a used one and i think its from a 97-08 part # 53276-04 can any one tell me the difference i know i need the 4 point docking system and i currently have a 2 point with a back rest and it is like almost 2 inches wider then the tour pack rack is the difference the width ???

Old 04-03-2012, 08:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I'm not clear what you're asking, but 09 and later bikes have a different frame and wider rear fender than pre-09 bikes. That is why any parts for older bikes are not wide enough for later bikes. The tourpaks are basically the same size for all.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:03 AM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe what you are seeing is the fact that you have the 2 point docking. That means your backrest sets on your rear shock eyes and the rear latches go on that 2 point dock. With the 4 point, the rear 2 points are wider than the front 2. That is so the back of the backrest sets on the front 2, the front of the tourpak sets on those two as well. The rear of the tourpak sets on the back 2 dock points. Hope this makes sense....

In a nut shell, you gotta have that 4 point dock kit.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 AM
speedydog5
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
I'm not clear what you're asking, but 09 and later bikes have a different frame and wider rear fender than pre-09 bikes. That is why any parts for older bikes are not wide enough for later bikes. The tourpaks are basically the same size for all.
i guess what i want to know is how wide is the rack for part # 53276-09a from were the thu u shaped plastic grommets because it does not seem this rack i have will fit it won,t even come close to the 2 point gromments i have on bike now its not wide enough

Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 AM
08FXDC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedydog5
i guess what i want to know is how wide is the rack for part # 53276-09a from were the thu u shaped plastic grommets because it does not seem this rack i have will fit it won,t even come close to the 2 point gromments i have on bike now its not wide enough
The part# you have listed is for a two-Up tour-pak rack, this rack will ONLY work with the 4 point docking system.

The only tour-pak rack that will work with the 2 point docking system is the detachable solo rack or part#53260-09A

Basically if you want to use your tour-pak in two-Up form you need the 4 point docking hardware if you want to run your tour-pak in solo form you can use the 2 point or 4 point docking hardware..

Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM
speedydog5
Tourer

Originally Posted by 08FXDC
The part# you have listed is for a two-Up tour-pak rack, this rack will ONLY work with the 4 point docking system.

The only tour-pak rack that will work with the 2 point docking system is the detachable solo rack or part#53260-09A

Basically if you want to use your tour-pak in two-Up form you need the 4 point docking hardware if you want to run your tour-pak in solo form you can use the 2 point or 4 point docking hardware..
I know i need the 4 point docking system my question is what is the width of the rack for the part # i listed

Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 PM
08FXDC
Road Master

Width of the rack is 9 3/4" inside to inside...

I have not seen a 2 point system in person but i believe the reason your rack is not wide enough is this...

On my 4 point there is actually a chrome bushing between the 4 point plate and the plastic bushing, the 2-up rack mounts to the chrome bushing NOT the plastic bushing. I am going to assume that the 2 point docking kit does not include the chrome bushing and to account for the wider gap it sets further apart than the 4 point system...

This is just a guess though..

If your trying to use a pre 09 rack it's not going to work, period... It's way too narrow

Last edited by 08FXDC; 04-04-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by speedydog5
what is the difference between the rack i have a 2009 street glide it calls for a part # 53276-09a i just bought a used one and i think its from a 97-08 part # 53276-04 can any one tell me the difference i know i need the 4 point docking system and i currently have a 2 point with a back rest and it is like almost 2 inches wider then the tour pack rack is the difference the width ???
You can go to HD's website and check the pictures which will show the difference between the detach rack that works on the '09 and newer models, and the detach rack that works on '08 and older models; ditto HD's paper catalog. Yes, the width is different but so are the mounting points.

Suggestion: If you're looking for help, use some punctuation and capitalization to help those of us who use them to understand what you're asking.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 04-07-2012, 02:07 AM
vaiodon
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Detachable tour pak...Any input???

Originally Posted by 08FXDC

Now I'm a little confused. I just bought a 2012 ultra limited and want to get the detachable kit, this is the part the dealer said I need:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_CA
You're saying I need a 4 point dock but the kit only comes with a two point dock for a two up.
Any input????

Old 06-12-2012, 12:07 PM
kenquagliana
Stage III
Default Yeah! Detachable Hardware Confused As Well!!

Hello Folks,

I'm new to the forum and to the world of detachable gear. I just picked up my new ride......a 2007 RKC......coming off a 1992 1200 Sportster for the last 20 years!! Too sweet!!
Anyway, I have the detachable tour pack and associated 4 point docking system. I know I can use the two up luggage rack with this set up. But what I don't get, is why I can't get a HD luggage rack and back rest combo? Does HD, or any OEM, allow me to have both the luggage rack and passenger back rest, and ideally, interchange them as desired?

Ken

Quick Reply: Detachable Tour pack rack question