Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone had a second compensator failure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:51 AM
Niblet
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
OK; here's a good comparo I like to use. Ever go out with a SMOKIN' hott babe, & she knew it, & treated guys,you included, like crap, simply because she knew she could because she was in demand being that hot? Well, it's the same with Harley. Why should they fix known issues? You ain't goin' to the competition, simply 'cause there IS no competition. If your Ultra or SG blows up repeatedly, you ain't buyin' a Goldwing, & the MoCo knows that. Now, if you get crap from Chevy., they know that a lot of people will go to Ford, or Dodge, or Hyundai. Auto makers for the most part don't have the loyal fan base that Harley enjoys, so they know they gotta treat you well. I'm surprised Harley even gives you a warranty AT ALL on a brand new bike--they'd sell just as many if they didn't.

thats why im going Indian on my next bike!,,,I'll give them a shot,,very expensive,,but we'll see!

Old 04-04-2012, 05:43 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by KingCripps
REALLY? Wow, Some people really don't get it. The complaint is that they should issue recalls on these things. When they manufacture crap, they should stand behind it.
I have 60k miles on my stock compensator. Failing compensators are probably directly proportionate to the number of people who perform engine modifications that increase torque and/or compression. No doubt riding style has something to do with it too.

I will NEVER buy another new Harley again, they don't deserve my business.
I'm sure they are all broke up about it too. It's ironic too, considering that new bikes have compression releases standard.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
root cause of the crank bang problem is compression build up in the heads. the compensator upgrade just helped mitigate the issue. but it never really fixed the problem. to explain the root cause better think about what happens when you start a push cord lawn mower. the mower is almost impossible to start if the piston is just before top dead center. If you detect that it is just before TDC, you pull the cord a bit to get the piston past TDC. what 's happening here is the compression buildup makes it almost impossible for you to crank the engine. if you try to crank a lawn mower that is just before tdc, what happens, it yanks you back. Same issue with you bike. when you shut your bike off, a lot of times the engine will stop with pistons in the position approaching TDC. when the starter trys to engage and start the engine, the compression springs the crank back causing the starter gears to slip....the bang grind. replacing the compensator to the new SE comp, just gave you more spring preload to help prevent the crank spring back. the root cause is the compression in the heads. as a bike ages, carbon accumaltes and incresases this compression. the fix is compression release.

If there was a "like" button, I'd push it!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:33 PM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I took Terrabellas advice and put the tender on her I hope its a weak battery.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Yes just got mine 2nd SE replaced but it was damaged by a stater magnet got loose some how and did whole lot damage to bunch of things in the primary, close to $ 800 glad ESP was there for me.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had
the most awful sound
once or twice sense I installed the SE compensator but in my case I think it was just the starter clutch not engaging properly. Just a glitch or possibly the starter clutch needs replacing.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 PM
probike2046
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwork2
I got home and mowed the yard took the bike to Taco Hell about 4 miles away came out moved the engine button to run turned the key hit the starter and the most awful sound ever came from the engine. It sounded like the compensator. I had the thing fixed last year and OMG the same blood curdling sound.
I was wondering if anyone else has had a second failure. They told me at the shop they put the SE compensator in when they exchanged it.
Mine started screaming at about 27,000 miles on my 08 ultra wasnt sure what it was until it got realy loud and was on a road trip for two weeks. Bike started to downshift sticky so i pulled in to low country harley. 1200 bucks later im back on the road,bike was better tahn ever after the screamin eagle upgrade and a new clutch basket.