Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone had a second compensator failure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
root cause of the crank bang problem is compression build up in the heads. the compensator upgrade just helped mitigate the issue. but it never really fixed the problem. to explain the root cause better think about what happens when you start a push cord lawn mower. the mower is almost impossible to start if the piston is just before top dead center. If you detect that it is just before TDC, you pull the cord a bit to get the piston past TDC. what 's happening here is the compression buildup makes it almost impossible for you to crank the engine. if you try to crank a lawn mower that is just before tdc, what happens, it yanks you back. Same issue with you bike. when you shut your bike off, a lot of times the engine will stop with pistons in the position approaching TDC. when the starter trys to engage and start the engine, the compression springs the crank back causing the starter gears to slip....the bang grind. replacing the compensator to the new SE comp, just gave you more spring preload to help prevent the crank spring back. the root cause is the compression in the heads. as a bike ages, carbon accumaltes and incresases this compression. the fix is compression release.
this is the first explanation I have found, heard, or read that finally helps me to understand this entire issue......with 25K miles on my original compensator, I continue to ride my StreetGlide until it detonates under warranty....(hope I'm close to home!)

Old 04-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If what speakerfritz said is true, and one must assume he knows what his talking about, it is just another example that Harley Davidson doesn't fix known problems. I just don't get it, why don't they fix these issues if a simple compression release would fix the issues with compensations going on the blink. If I hadn't have had the extended warranty, this would have cost me a grand or more to correct. When people ask if a extended warranty is worth it....best read these post on compensator's. Dam, it just pisses me off sometimes.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:19 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by spider14043
I'm on my 5th comp. 4th s/e. Original upgraded at 21k. That one was replaced 4k later in conjunction with IPB, main shaft bearing and clutch. That one lasted a long as the test ride. Number 4 was in for 1k. My 5th was installed with a new clutch spring. 30k now and all is well. Also, just bought the extended warranty!

Smart Move, within 8 months my Extended Warranty paid for itself .. Part of it being a free SE Compensator ..

Old 04-03-2012, 02:32 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrabella
If what speakerfritz said is true, and one must assume he knows what his talking about, it is just another example that Harley Davidson doesn't fix known problems. I just don't get it, why don't they fix these issues if a simple compression release would fix the issues with compensations going on the blink. If I hadn't have had the extended warranty, this would have cost me a grand or more to correct. When people ask if a extended warranty is worth it....best read these post on compensator's. Dam, it just pisses me off sometimes.
OK; here's a good comparo I like to use. Ever go out with a SMOKIN' hott babe, & she knew it, & treated guys,you included, like crap, simply because she knew she could because she was in demand being that hot? Well, it's the same with Harley. Why should they fix known issues? You ain't goin' to the competition, simply 'cause there IS no competition. If your Ultra or SG blows up repeatedly, you ain't buyin' a Goldwing, & the MoCo knows that. Now, if you get crap from Chevy., they know that a lot of people will go to Ford, or Dodge, or Hyundai. Auto makers for the most part don't have the loyal fan base that Harley enjoys, so they know they gotta treat you well. I'm surprised Harley even gives you a warranty AT ALL on a brand new bike--they'd sell just as many if they didn't.

Last edited by dickey; 04-03-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:11 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrabella
I just don't get it, why don't they fix these issues if a simple compression release would fix the issues with compensations going on the blink.
Pretty sure that beginning with 2012, all of the bikes equipped with the 103 also come with automatic compression releases, as well as the SE compensator and an oil cooler. All in response to known issues.

So, not sure what your complaint is.

BTW, I am sure the explanation given about TDC is good information at startup time, but a weak compensator will also be responsible for drive line lash. I can hear my compensator banging when I get off and on the throttle too. The stock compensator in my '09 is simply under-engineered and cannot take any kind of hard riding and I think should be a required upgrade with any upgrade that increases horsepower or torque in the 96. It makes me wonder if the design is simply an artifact from the 88 days that wasn't properly matched to the torque in the 96.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:31 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

My stock compensator is still hanging in there, maybe I have just been lucky. I did add ACR's early on after building higher cylinder pressure.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
Mine is doing it too with about 10,000 miles on the SE comp. Search it a bit. Some guys have had to replace it at about 20,000 miles or something like that. The part has been revised since it original design too.
Just thinking out loud here, but did you ever stop to think that they keep replacing these compensators when that is not what is making the noise?? That is a pretty sweet revenue cow when you think about all the twin cams out there that backfire a little when they are hot.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
root cause of the crank bang problem is compression build up in the heads. the compensator upgrade just helped mitigate the issue. but it never really fixed the problem. to explain the root cause better think about what happens when you start a push cord lawn mower. the mower is almost impossible to start if the piston is just before top dead center. If you detect that it is just before TDC, you pull the cord a bit to get the piston past TDC. what 's happening here is the compression buildup makes it almost impossible for you to crank the engine. if you try to crank a lawn mower that is just before tdc, what happens, it yanks you back. Same issue with you bike. when you shut your bike off, a lot of times the engine will stop with pistons in the position approaching TDC. when the starter trys to engage and start the engine, the compression springs the crank back causing the starter gears to slip....the bang grind. replacing the compensator to the new SE comp, just gave you more spring preload to help prevent the crank spring back. the root cause is the compression in the heads. as a bike ages, carbon accumaltes and incresases this compression. the fix is compression release.
Very, very, good explanation and right on target. I find I can eliminate the bang, crash, whiz sound by cracking the throttle a tiny bit when I crank the engine.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

My 2011 RGU came with the SE Comp, ACRs,and an oil cooler. No bang like I had with my 2007 and the 96 engine. 12000 miles now and no issues.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
Pretty sure that beginning with 2012, all of the bikes equipped with the 103 also come with automatic compression releases, as well as the SE compensator and an oil cooler. All in response to known issues.

So, not sure what your complaint is.

BTW, I am sure the explanation given about TDC is good information at startup time, but a weak compensator will also be responsible for drive line lash. I can hear my compensator banging when I get off and on the throttle too. The stock compensator in my '09 is simply under-engineered and cannot take any kind of hard riding and I think should be a required upgrade with any upgrade that increases horsepower or torque in the 96. It makes me wonder if the design is simply an artifact from the 88 days that wasn't properly matched to the torque in the 96.
REALLY? Wow, Some people really don't get it. The complaint is that they should issue recalls on these things. When they manufacture crap, they should stand behind it.

And, installing compression releases is a MAJOR deal. I just did it and it took me about 8 hours total and three weeks at the machine shop. Harley would not stand behind these issues.

I will NEVER buy another new Harley again, they don't deserve my business.

Quick Reply: has anyone had a second compensator failure?