Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Wallowing" through curves

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 02:42 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Wallowing" through curves

04 Road King Custom. Stock rear 12 inch shocks, front end lowered using HD kit by original owner. Sta-bo swingarm bushings installed by me. I am not talking about bagger wobble or front end shake or tank slappers or anything drastic. I only notice it occasionally but it makes me feel like it could be improved. Going through a curve with the bike leaned over feeling a little softness in the suspension due to bumps in the road. Obviously the suspension has to do its thing, but it almost feels like a little bit of a wiggle as the suspension rebounds or something. Only felt it twice yesterday and both times it was in right hand curves. Could be coincidence due to road imperfections, not sure. Tire pressure is good on my almost brand new Elite 3s. Thinking about a suspension upgrade to tighten up the wallowing if I could do it without spending a fortune. For an issue like this, if it even is an issue, would monotubes in the front help tighten it up? Should I look into a rear upgrade? For the record, Ohlins are beyond my budget. Thanks for your input.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:52 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sometimes it's unintentional steering input. What I mean is, if you're arms are too stiff when you hit a bump you could push on the handlebar. Some of the "death wobble" is caused by that. I'm not saying that's what you are experiencing but, while riding try to notice if that's what is causing the wiggle, "right hand curves" are the throttle side so it's a possibility.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:16 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like "the wobble" to me, the stock shocks are rubbish but I would also check your tire pressures because they have a huge affect, also you may want to have a look at your front engine mount.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

If you are heavy, increase tyre and suspension pressures, the numbers in the manual are guidance only. As for shocks, Ohlins are not expensive! Call HDF sponsor Howard at Motorcycle Metal and talk through your experiences with your bike. He offers members a discount and a pair of his custom-built shocks will probably be the best thing you ever did to a bike. That is priceless!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:36 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so far. I am not heavy, about 175 pounds. My tire pressure is correct. My front motor mount was replaced last year. Maybe it is just the stock shocks being rubbish. Hypothetically, if I could only afford to upgrade one end which would give me more bang for my buck, front or rear?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know what you are talking about. It is caused by the rider. Keep head pointed in direction of the turn and maintain speed. Kind of freaky when it happens, isn't it?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by skully1200
Thanks so far. I am not heavy, about 175 pounds. My tire pressure is correct. My front motor mount was replaced last year. Maybe it is just the stock shocks being rubbish. Hypothetically, if I could only afford to upgrade one end which would give me more bang for my buck, front or rear?
Rear. That's the end I did first. It will of course highlight how poor the forks are, but we can deal with that when you have your Ohlins on!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:56 AM
last12know
Road Master

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

your wallow... would you describe it almost as a slow motion front wheel out of round feeling? i've had that happen real bad one time passing on a gentle curve at speed... thought i was gonna go down.. only thing i could do was hold my line and hope i made the curve and it came out of it when i straightened up..

kinda eerie.. tried to duplicate it on the same corner and never could. have no idea why it happened.. conditions were identical when i tried to do it again..

Old 04-03-2012, 08:16 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by skully1200

Go to a tire shop and have them check your tire gauge. I have seen some that are off by 10 pounds.

If it's one of those pencil types...... throw it away and buy a good one.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:08 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

You have the Sta-Bo support bushings so I'm inclined to believe it is definately the suspension. You don't have to do it all at once; on the cheap for a good improvent, that can be further built upon, I would say get a set of single rate springs matched to your weight and swap your OEM shock fluid with Amsoil 10w shock therapy. Even with a good suspension set up, your machine will still have limitations, but it will far excede the stock suspension limitations.

Quick Reply: "Wallowing" through curves