Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock advice for big riders??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 12:54 AM
THECRAIGMEISTER
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear shock advice for big riders??

I have an 11' Electra Glide Ultra Limited. I ride 2 up a majority of the time. Problem is that I am 6'5" 380lbs and my gf is 6' approx 230lbs. I run 50psi in the rear air shocks and it still isn't enough. When we hit bridges, manholes, potholes etc. it bottoms out and jars both of us pretty badly. I am getting ready to go on a 5000 mile trip and was hoping to rectify this before I leave. Other than the obvious solution of losing weight which I am working on. Was 400 a few months ago. Will a good heavy duty shock handle max load? I am open to suggestions but don't want to spend a ton of money. I used the search forum but mostly found lowering shocks and ones for lighter riders. I am going to put in HD fork oil to help the forks out and eliminate some of the dive that occurs when braking etc. Thanks in advance......Craig

Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 AM
Bigdave12768
Tourer

Progressive 440 at least a 13 or maybe the 13.5
You have to buy the Heavy Duty!!!!

Last edited by Bigdave12768; 04-03-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:22 AM
Pommy Biker
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 5'10" and 13 stone on a wet day. My Ultra is pumped up to 50lb and bottoms out alla time. A buddy of mine has an 06 CVO Ultra and is experiencing same so he has been on the phone to various knowledgeable manufacturers of shocks in the States and Holland ( we are in New Zealand). The advice he received was to replace the stock shocks as they're not worth wasting your time on them (it was mentioned that the MOCO buys them for 8 bucks apiece and they handle accordingly). Even the best of shocks need to be reconditioned at some stage after 10 to 15 thousand kms but when was the last time your dealer suggested you have your shocks done, particularly during the warranty period? I am waiting for Progressive 430's to come from J&P for me and my buddy.
btw my bud bought some second hand progressives off a dude who took them off his BMW. They cost him a hundred bucks and though not ideal for his bike the bike is "transformed" as a ride experience according to his missus.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 AM
Bigdave12768
Tourer

I got a set of 13's and really noticed the difference when I hit the same bumps that I could feel a slight bottoming out on. When over it like a Cadillac
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Progressive-...ht_2839wt_1163

Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 AM
THECRAIGMEISTER
Novice

So it seems like the Progressive 940's are the stiffest correct? If I got those in a 13 or 13.5" maybe that would do the trick?

Old 04-03-2012, 03:52 AM
ultraoz
4th Gear

Doesn't matter what you weigh, a set of ohlins can be built to your specs. Yes, they might be a bit pricey, but you'll forget about the price when you ride on them. Give Howard a call.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:49 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ultraoz
Doesn't matter what you weigh, a set of ohlins can be built to your specs. Yes, they might be a bit pricey, but you'll forget about the price when you ride on them. Give Howard a call.
+1 Give Howard a call, it's free.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by THECRAIGMEISTER
I have an 11' Electra Glide Ultra Limited. I ride 2 up a majority of the time. Problem is that I am 6'5" 380lbs and my gf is 6' approx 230lbs. I run 50psi in the rear air shocks and it still isn't enough. When we hit bridges, manholes, potholes etc. it bottoms out and jars both of us pretty badly. I am getting ready to go on a 5000 mile trip and was hoping to rectify this before I leave. Other than the obvious solution of losing weight which I am working on. Was 400 a few months ago. Will a good heavy duty shock handle max load? I am open to suggestions but don't want to spend a ton of money. I used the search forum but mostly found lowering shocks and ones for lighter riders. I am going to put in HD fork oil to help the forks out and eliminate some of the dive that occurs when braking etc. Thanks in advance......Craig
Craig, the two of you are a prime candidate for Howard's custom built Ohlins! There are a growing number of us on here and he can ensure you never bottom out again! He is an HDF sponsor and offers members discounts, so give him a call. Brace yourself for a great and life changing experience!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 AM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

You are over Max load if you are 380 and your girlfriend is 230, you're not being hard on your shocks but you are at risk of a catastrophic tire failure at highway speeds.

Unsafemotorcycles.com

Just wondering if you know the Max loaded weight of your bike and if you checked before you bought the bike?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Lightbulb

You're right to caution against overloading a bike, but quite frankly if I was OP I would simply make the best of my bike. I would run tyres at maximum pressures (ignore the manual, I mean manufacturer's max - email your preferred brand - for Avons it is 50 psi) and fit top quality shocks, as already recommended.

The maximum weight for an Ultra's front tyre is around 639 pounds, rear is 1019, so with bike weight of 889, plus riders at 380 and 230, 1658 plays 1499. So OP has a safety margin on his tyres of 159 pounds, even though the two of them may exceed the bike's GVWL.

I wouldn't be concerned about loading the bike up for that 5k mile trip. I don't imagine they are going to be attempting any record breaking speeds!

The economical and serious upgrade in ride quality and comfort is Ohlins #3-3s out back and fabrik8r's magic upgraded Intiminators plus springs up front.

Quick Reply: Rear shock advice for big riders??