Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock advice for big riders??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012 | 05:40 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RFG
I know of 1 death from over loading. Overweight husband and wife. Rear tire blew and she died. Ruling was over loaded tires. See what the rating is on an e3. And def go progressive suspension. Front too. Upgrade it all to be safe.
I'm not picking on you RFG, this is for everyone who made comments resembling yours.

I'm pretty sure the OP asked for advice on shocks. I don't remember reading anything about him asking for advice on his weight. All this advice on his weight is rude, insensitive and offensive. Do all the skinny guys want everyone telling them their ugly every time they ask a question on which shirt to buy? Not one of us is perfect and belittling others in the quise of helping is what jerks do. The people doing it may not look at it that way, they might think they are being nice and helpful, but that is because they are insensitive and not to bright, they don't know when they are being rude and offensive, just jerks without a clue.

I'm sorry, was that offensive to someone, guess I'm just insensitive.

Last edited by jjnoble; 04-26-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-26-2012 | 05:48 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member

I gave advice on his op. I suggested to upgrade the front end too. I didn't chide anyone for running overweight. Just that i know of 1 instance where it happened. I made no mention of his or his girls weight. Didnt offer diet tips.

Its no biggie i don't take things here personal. But its a message board and your gonna get opinions that ya don't want. Its part of it.

My reply was on topic with an addition. The others said nothing of the op question.

See what the rating is on an e3. And def go progressive suspension. Front too. Upgrade it all to be safe.

Last edited by RFG7680; 04-26-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2012 | 07:07 AM
THECRAIGMEISTER
|
Novice

It's ok. Most people think being 380 I would be this big sloppy fat guy that can't see his feet. Fact is when I was in really good shape I was still around 300. I am 6'5" with a really big frame. Like I said I am normally as big as most people plus passengers. Then I put my 6' tall gf and load up the bike for a big trip I am always going to be right at the max load limit. Suspension on 4 wheelers and all motorcycles etc. always has to be tweaked to fit my needs. I think the only bike I never had to do work to the suspension was my KTM 950R Super Enduro. That bike had an amazing suspension! Nevertheless. I have accomplished what I was looking to do with the Ultra Classic. Hopefully my input can help some other riders with the same problem.

Old 04-26-2012 | 07:10 AM
THECRAIGMEISTER
|
Novice

Originally Posted by jjnoble
Enjoy the ride Craigmeister, glad you found what you where looking for.

On another note I gotta say Wyoming sure is a wild place. Barren with an awesome view, the continental shelf is a strange thing all by its self. It is always windy at the top of Sherman Pass and the drive down that pass to Laramie scares the hell out of a lot of truck drivers. And Wyoming has the craziest winters, I've hit major blizzards in May and September when there is pretty much no snow any where else in the country, at least nothing of blizzard proportion. When traveling across country, if you make it through Wyoming the rest is a piece of cake.

Anyway, have a nice trip and be safe.
Yes, you are very correct! Our weather is crazy. I have seen snow in the mountains many times on July 4th! Definately chances of snow in May and September! You have to be prepared with lots of extra gear riding here. Wind can be brutal often too. I am also hoping to get south without getting caught in snow! Once I get out of Wyoming the weather should be ok except for rain! Thanks.....Craig

Old 05-04-2012 | 04:41 AM
soisy1951
2nd Gear

Hi everybody,

I'm a recent Electra Ultra Classic owner of a '12 model. I have a simple question concerning rear shocks air pressure. What is the best adjustment to have a smooth riding with a maximum comfort? At the moment the setting is at 70.
Christian
France

Old 05-04-2012 | 06:03 AM
marion
Intermediate

I just picked up the Progressives 440's 13" HD for $410 shipped..
Good price....

Old 05-05-2012 | 06:26 PM
THECRAIGMEISTER
|
Novice

Originally Posted by soisy1951
Hi everybody,

I'm a recent Electra Ultra Classic owner of a '12 model. I have a simple question concerning rear shocks air pressure. What is the best adjustment to have a smooth riding with a maximum comfort? At the moment the setting is at 70.
Christian
France
I have a 2011 but in the manual it says max psi in the rear shocks is 50. Even when I was aired up to the max pressure riding 2 up it would bottom out and on larger bumps and really rattle your teeth. Not a very forgiving ride. For the money I am very happy I replaced the rear shocks and front fork springs. It rides completely different now and feels like a different bike. My only regret is not doing it sooner!

Old 05-05-2012 | 10:03 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

Seams the OP has found what he was looking for, so I need an answer.
I ride a 2012 SG, mostly solo. Weigh 245. It rides harsh."will the 440 shocks in 12" ride better, smoother? Should I go with 13" ?
I like the low stance of the stick shocks, but want a smoother ride without the harsh bumps...
Thanks

Old 05-06-2012 | 12:47 PM
THECRAIGMEISTER
|
Novice

Originally Posted by Casper
Seams the OP has found what he was looking for, so I need an answer.
I ride a 2012 SG, mostly solo. Weigh 245. It rides harsh."will the 440 shocks in 12" ride better, smoother? Should I go with 13" ?
I like the low stance of the stick shocks, but want a smoother ride without the harsh bumps...
Thanks
There are many options available. I would call Progressive or email them. I emailed them and they always responded quickly and answered all my questions. There are shorter than stock shocks available and longer than stock ones like I bought since I am tall (6'5"). There are also the regular 440 shocks and the 440HD. Just contact them and tell them all your needs and they will tell you what shock to use. Really does make a big difference!

Old 05-06-2012 | 02:02 PM
andyp
Tourer

If you want a shorter shock the Progressive 940 is a nice shock.Built on much of the same tech as the 440 but made 1 inch lower without losing any stroke.

Quick Reply: Rear shock advice for big riders??