Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike not running right after cam install

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM
lukemc7
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike not running right after cam install

Went to the local indy shop and I am having them put in a set of Andrews 37's with adjustable pushrods and the gear drive kit.
Went today to pick the bike up and when i started it, it was running really rough and sounded like crap, they told me i had to let it warm up and it would smooth out. after 10 minutes it never improved, went to take it on a little test drive around the block and it was falling on its face at low RPM's so bad it almost stalled (made it about 100 feet before shutting it off and pushing it back) They are saying its the map on the PCV but I got the Map from Keith at Fuel Moto and with their reputation I have a hard time believing that the map is bad. we tried a map off from power commanders website and it was still running like crap. I left and told them I expected an answer on why it was running like crap by wednesday but they seem clueless. (I had a similar cam put in my street bob by them and have had no problems)
Anyone on here have a similar issue when isntalling cams?
or have any ideas as to what the problem may be?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:31 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Timing marks improperly aligned?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

I just put a set of 37s in my 04 Standard. I had never done it and it started right up and idled lumpy but normal. The hesitation I'm getting is due to fuel delivery.(Ness CheapShot.) Getting it worked out a little at a time. As long as I keep the rpms up, it runs like a bat outta hell. So my guess is they mis-aligned them as was stated by dawg.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do a compression test

Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
lukemc7
Cruiser

That would make sense, I will call them tomorrow to verify they check the alignment.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Timing...

Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Gear cams? Did they check the crank runout to see if it was in spec enough to support a gear cam platform? As Dawg mentioned I would check the timing marks to ensure they are not off a tooth. I would also check the pushrods to see if they have been adjusted properly. Of course the dealer should have verified all of that but.......

Then after all of the mechanical stuff is verified, then refine the PC.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:21 PM
lukemc7
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Gear cams? Did they check the crank runout to see if it was in spec enough to support a gear cam platform? As Dawg mentioned I would check the timing marks to ensure they are not off a tooth. I would also check the pushrods to see if they have been adjusted properly. Of course the dealer should have verified all of that but.......

Then after all of the mechanical stuff is verified, then refine the PC.
yea they are the andrews 37g. The bike has less than 5000 miles and i assume that milage affects the crank runout. but I will ask them tomorrow when I stop by. I will also ask about the pushrods. The mechanic that did the cams is very reputable in the area and like i said has done cams for me before, he almost seemed disgusted that i even eluded to him making a mistake but that seems like the only answer.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:42 PM
lukemc7
Cruiser

went down to the shop and talked to the owners they assured me it will be taken care of but they still dont know what the issue is.

so I'm hoping I will get my bike back soon

Old 04-03-2012, 03:36 PM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the bike used to run good and after they did the work it runs bad, they did something wrong... They should re-check their work.

Quick Reply: Bike not running right after cam install