Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike not running right after cam install

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 03:59 PM
k-hook
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me after installing 203 cams in my TC88. Indie mechanic couldn't get it right. Choking down, no power, wouldn't idle. Wound up taking it to the dealer here and they dynoe'd it and the cam gears were out of timing. $385 later, she's screamin...eagle.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:19 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

This is why I am cautious to put cams in my FXDB. I know that 95% of the time things go right, but with my luck I'd be in the 5%. I know you'll get it right though. I am watching your thread for a good ending.

I would like to put SE 255 or the SE 204 into my FXDB. I had an instance this weekend where I had a head wind of 25 mph for about 100 miles, and in 5th I had to rev it out a little more than I like, and in 6th with the head wind. Well, it felt as if the bike had zero power. For the most part I like the stock cams for the way I ride, but in circumstances like this weekend it would be nice to have a little more pull to get through the wind.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 566 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by editbrain
This is why I am cautious to put cams in my FXDB. I know that 95% of the time things go right, but with my luck I'd be in the 5%. I know you'll get it right though. I am watching your thread for a good ending.

I would like to put SE 255 or the SE 204 into my FXDB. I had an instance this weekend where I had a head wind of 25 mph for about 100 miles, and in 5th I had to rev it out a little more than I like, and in 6th with the head wind. Well, it felt as if the bike had zero power. For the most part I like the stock cams for the way I ride, but in circumstances like this weekend it would be nice to have a little more pull to get through the wind.
204's are a good cam,forget the 255,they are obsolete,if you like that kind of bottom,go with Andrews 48's.................and forget gear drives.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

aligning cams isn't all that difficult, unless of course you're blind. Don't pick an indy just because he's got the lowest prices. Find the one with the reputation for doing good work and standing behind his product. Just downloading a map after doing a cam swap is cutting yourself short of true performance. If you're going to that extent for performance, ya need to get the bike dyno tuned. Very much worth the added expense. Be sure you use an indy who knows what he's doing with the dyno.
A first rate indy in the Virginia area is Skip's Cycles of Winchester, VA. Been in the business for 30 some years.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:10 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by lukemc7
Went today to pick the bike up and when i started it, it was running really rough and sounded like crap, they told me i had to let it warm up and it would smooth out. after 10 minutes it never improved,
So they were going to give you the bike in that running condition?WOW.
Sounds like they need to do their homework.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:26 PM
lukemc7
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
So they were going to give you the bike in that running condition?WOW.
Sounds like they need to do their homework.
Yea they kept trying to push me out the door with it running like crap.
I reall dont understand it, they have a really great reputation in the area and have done excellent work for me in the past.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

o2 sensors backwards? If they are that good they know they must check cam alignment.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have never installed cams before I put SE204's in about a month ago. Very easy to do with the proper tools and if the Indy installed them wrong I would never take my bike to them again. Also it wouldn't hurt to call FM and make sure they sent the right map. I have purchased a few items from them and everything has always been right on the money but like the rest of us they are human and when you are dealing with humans mistakes can happen. I'm sure if it is their mistake they will bend over back wards until they do make it right. This is what sets them apart from a lot of other dealers or vendors.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Something's fishy. They're Harley mechanics. They can discern a good-running bike from one that's running bad. No mechanic in the world finishes a job, and doesn't start it up to check things (and 'admire' his work). They told you it just needed to warm up? I'd be curious to talk to the mechanic who actually did the work. Like I said, something sounds fishy.

Alan

Old 04-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam2010
o2 sensors backwards? If they are that good they know they must check cam alignment.
Would he still have O2 sensors hooked up with a PCV? I thought that, usually, the bike was taken out of closed loop when using a PCV.

Quick Reply: Bike not running right after cam install