Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want your touring bike to handle like a Sportbike ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
What's wrong with a Touring bike handling like a touring bike?? I've got almost 60K miles on them since switching over in 08. Love the way my almost stock Touring bikes Handle. Each to their own though!!!!
Nothing at all wrong with that if you ride mostly in a straight line. I should have clarified that my bike still rides like a touring bike with the comfortable ride and comfortable riding position but when you want to get on it, ride hard and carve some curves it handles like a Sportbike with lower ground clearance.

I guess I wasn't happy with the handling stock because I rode sportbikes for 20 years before switching to touring bikes. I still have a Ninja but as I get older the Ninja is far too uncomfortable to ride long distances. My modified Road King now gives me the best of both worlds, a comfortable ride when I want to be comfortable and a canyon carver when I feel like hanging some curves.

Last edited by Sailrider 1; 04-02-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:10 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I’m kinda surprised this post was met with any resistance at all, its not like Sailrider1 was bashing any other product, just sharing his experience. You will never know how poor the OEM suspension is until you upgrade it, and I promise you there is nothing wrong with a bike that feels and handles better than stock. The “sportbike” comparison may be a slightly favorable description, but naturally it’s not truly literal, the weight to power ratio would have to be dramatically improved, along with COG, and lean angle, as mentioned. I can assure you the result of the mods in question will not make your bike "twitchy", but mine handles like it shed 200 lbs. It absolutely compliments the touring platform, and makes the ride much more comfortable, and enjoyable, which I believe is the main purpose for having a long distance touring bike. I’m sure the added stability offers some margin of improved safety as well. No matter what you do it's a heavy bike, but it will feel and handle remarkably better with a well tuned suspension. The modified Intiminators are still relatively undiscovered, except for the folks who have read it on this forum, so they are also not widely used yet, except for the few members who have taken a chance on my “unproven” modifications and set up. So far not one person has reported anything but exceptional results. I chose to share this cheap mod with fellow riders because it offers such a phenomenal improvement, although a little slow getting started I anticipate this front suspension option will gain some serious traction in the near future.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:37 PM
streetg131
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once I put the dough together front and rear suspension upgrades and brake upgrades are next for me. I have a lot of fun aggressively carving twistiest on my bagger, it will definitely benefit from a more solid feel.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:41 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats like trying to convince me to change out the auto cross tuned suspension on my vette so it will ride like a porsche boxster. Apples and Oranges

Old 04-02-2012, 03:47 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You mean like this? No thanks, wife would kill me.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:00 PM
FrankC
Novice

I am surprised this wasnt met with more resistance after his comment:

"This was only thrown out there for those that want a bike that handles like it should to begin with"

Many, many, many people here are happy with the ride of their touring bikes and a comment like that, basically telling everyone that theirs is set up incorrect, ruffles a lot of feathers...normally. The grumps must be out riding or something

That said, sounds like you dialed in your ride just like you like it. Congrats! thats the beauty of these bikes...you make them what you want.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 PM
streetg131
Tourer

Just because it's a tourer doesn't mean it should only handle well on straight roads and gentle curves. They shouldn't come out of the factory running hot and pingy either. Or with hard uncomfortable seats so they can plan on selling you another. I do believe there's a Harley tax, the dough you need to make it right. I think this is relatively new, when I bought my 88 softail man that bike was pretty much perfect right out of the box.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:57 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I ride a 1998 Dyna WG, and I had the same suspension as most of the guys buying 2012s, as well as the guys riding 70s and 80s models.
If the MoCo isn't gonna step up and tweak the suspension for better performance, well I'm glad someone did.

Thanks Fab, Racetech, Ricors, and Ohlins, for at least giving us an option.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:03 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
I have a sport bike that handles like a sport bike. I want my Ultra to be comfortable and less twitchy than my Ninja. I will not be carving any corners two up with all the weekend luggage on the Ultra anyway.
Originally Posted by orangevette
thats like trying to convince me to change out the auto cross tuned suspension on my vette so it will ride like a porsche boxster. Apples and Oranges
And both of you felt compelled to click on the thread.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankC
I am surprised this wasnt met with more resistance after his comment:

"This was only thrown out there for those that want a bike that handles like it should to begin with"

Many, many, many people here are happy with the ride of their touring bikes and a comment like that, basically telling everyone that theirs is set up incorrect, ruffles a lot of feathers...normally. The grumps must be out riding or something

That said, sounds like you dialed in your ride just like you like it. Congrats! thats the beauty of these bikes...you make them what you want.
No intent to ruffle anyones feathers,I guess my comment should have said the way I think the bike should handle. Like someone else said to each their own, if your happy with your bike, great it's your bike. I was only sharing my experience and how happy I am with my current setup thanks to this forum, Howard from Motorcycle metal and Fabrik8r.

And like QTRracer pointed out, some dismiss the though of making the touring bike handle better yet still felt compelled to click on the thread.

Quick Reply: Want your touring bike to handle like a Sportbike ?