Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop E3's or Michelin commander II

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Dunlop E3's or Michelin commander II

I have been hearing about the Michelin commander II lately, I have been running the E3's on my 07 RG for a while now and have been very happy with the performance and wear getting about 12k on the rear and almost twice that on the front. Runs excellent wet or dry and handles great at high speeds and in the curves. But I'm always looking to see if there is something better out there. Anyone running the Michelin's that have had the E3's and what do you think of them.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:30 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was running E3 in the rear for over 30k miles. Down to 2/32". Ordered Commander II, indy's suggestion. Should have it installed by this weekend. Will let you know if no one respond before that.

Probably due to mileage, my E3 started to "cup". I can feel them running my palm around the tire. That being said, my front is the OEM Dunlop D402, 39k miles! Will be replaced by Commander II as well.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:43 PM
jacsul
Account Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a great deal on them from JP cycles when I was down there last month. Shipped them up and got em on, now waiting for the weather to break. will let you know...

Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 PM
14longshot
Advanced

I need a new rear tire on the ultra and my indy says I should stick with Dunlop since I won't be replacing the front to keep the same brand on the bike. With that said with what I've read and been told it sounds that the Michelin tire is the way to go. If I was replacing both tire I would go with the Michelin because just the mileage difference you can get out of the two is worth it.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Road Hawg
Tourer

Maybe the tire is too new for anyone to have put any miles on them, I'll wait until there is more feedback before I try them, it seems it would be hard to beat the E3's IMO.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

On my 4th set of Elite 3's. I'm a fan of "if it ain't broke....... But let us know what you think. I've pretty much been through all the tires possible, and when I found the Elite's, well, I just really like how they perform, and LAST.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:39 PM
littlebear
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll stick with my E3's, no compaints and I luv them, why change.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Road Hawg
Tourer

[QUOTE=bigskyhd;9612111]On my 4th set of Elite 3's. I'm a fan of "if it ain't broke....... But let us know what you think. I've pretty much been through all the tires possible, and when I found the Elite's, well, I just really like how they perform, and LAST.
I feel the same way, thought if there is something better I'd try it. It would be hard to beat the E3's.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Greg T
Advanced

I have the Michelin Commander II's on my other bike (Honda VTX). I rode that bike from St Louis to Yellowstone on those tires. Good ride and grip. So far (about 8000 miles) the tire is wearing well.

Best

Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 AM
SugsPa
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 56 Posts

I put on a Commander II about 300 miles ago. I had an EIII on before the Michelin and really liked the way the tire felt in the twisties and even straight down the interstate. I think its a great tire, however; I only got about 9500 miles out of the tire. I went to the Commander II hoping to get more milage between tire changes. So far the Commander II seems to be great in the twisties. It seems to be more rounded than the EIII, so less rubber on the blacktop, and I feel like I can tell it when riding down the interstate (where I do most of my riding). I wouldn't judge the milage on an EIII by my milage. I seem to be pretty hard on tires. Some people seem to get 15 or 20 thousand miles on a rear EIII. Not me. Anyway, if I have any problems out of the Commander II I'll be sure to let everyone know. When I change it out, I'll let everyone know about the milage.

SugsPa

Quick Reply: Dunlop E3's or Michelin commander II