Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop E3's or Michelin commander II

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:03 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

swamperca, did you get low-mileage from the new Michelin Commander II's, or an older model? The Commander II's have only been out since January '12, I believe.

Alan

Old 06-14-2012, 11:18 PM
swamperca
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The older ones, this was about eight years ago.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 AM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I've got about 1500 miles on the MCII rear that I put on about 1.5 months ago. I know that's not a lot, but the tire looks very new still and very round. I really like this tire a lot. So much that my matching front MCII just arrived. I'm hoping to swap it out on Monday with new brake pads up front as well. Factory 401 is on the front now...has some more life left but I really want the bike to be smooth.

For twisties the rear is very good. I've also done some good highway travel too and the tire IMO works super. It holds a good line and don't follow groves or gets out of shape on tar snakes. Least that's what I feel.

My old rear OEM was flat across the tread when I changed it. Worn for poor inflation from previous owner. INDY who R&R's the tire on the wheel said WOW dude you should have changed this about 1000 miles ago! Anyway, bike rode like a new bike when I put the new MCII on it and my confidence went up too. Had it out in the rain a little bit and the rear feels very good. SO with the matching front, and new at that, I'm hoping to get more smoothness and confidence out of the bike as well.

BTW, I got both of mine with brakes from Jake Wilson. FREE SHIPPING TOO, and not a bad price for pads and tires.

Hope this helps some on the fence. I really like the look and feel of these tires. Don't miss the thin white wall at all.

Last edited by GMRO; 06-15-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 AM
SGFlash
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the mc11 on last weekend. So far it's been great. Found it for 140 shipped.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Desoto
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the MCII in the front and i like very much so far. The rear Dunlop is still good so it will be a while before I out a MCII in the back. For the folks ni Canada, check Canada's Motorcycle for prices. Haven't found cheaper yet.

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/

Old 06-15-2012, 11:50 AM
jrmy_1
6th Gear

I think I'm going to give the Commander II's a try. I've got about 8500 on the Dunlops and can feel the cupping and wheel wobble starting in the front. I used to use the Michelins on my dirt bike. They stuck better to the dirt but were also noticibly softer than the Dunlops, but that's apples and oranges.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:34 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,049 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Put about 3000 miles on my MCIIs. So far, so good. They have handled everything I have thrown at them - high speeds, miles and miles of curves, and lots of rain. Not one wiggle from them. They feel grippier to me than the stockers. So far I'm impressed.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,088 Likes on 3,646 Posts

I get about 10000 on original Commander and about 11000 on EIII so if the Commander II is better than the original i will surely get one for the next change...For me there is almost no difference between D402 and Original Commander...The EIII was better at not tracking on tar snakes...

Old 07-13-2012, 04:40 PM
gwcrim
Tourer

I rarely gush about tires. As long as they are round and hold air, I like them. I put an MCII on the rear and it felt good. But when I did the front a couple miles later I fell in love! The bike LOVES TO LEAN like it's never done. I can't say enough good about the handling of the Commander II tire. I'm hooked.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:56 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Below is just my own observation and opinion:

Had E3 in the rear and original 402 in front, lasted over 40K miles, threads down to 2/32" Replaced by Commander II, going on 5.5k miles. The way I'm putting along, I can't say I can tell the difference.

Guess is just my riding style, Commander II is suppose to grip better, don't follow tar snakes, etc, etc. I have ridden in the rain in both tires, felt the same to me....

Quick Reply: Dunlop E3's or Michelin commander II