Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide vs EG Classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 12:53 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Street Glide vs EG Classic

imho its to close a price differance. you will make the right decision either way!

[IMG]local://upfiles/18734/CDC4A7302BB043DA9DF16B7B0CE18DFB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-28-2006, 01:04 AM
Hiram
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can make a EGC get real close to the look of an SG with little effort, but trying to get a SG to an EGC takes more effort and more money.

Your money, your ride, your decision. Get whatever trips your trigger.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:36 AM
quint
Tourer

These are two very different bikes: the SG is stripped down, lowered and more "custom" looking, and the EGC is more traditional and touring oriented. If you're going to be mostly doing longer trips, go with the practicality and comfort of the Classic - particularly if you're going 2-up from time to time. But if you want more of a custom, street look, and you mostly do shorter rides, I'd say go with the SG. I own an Ultra because I like the comfort of 2-up riding on it, but IMHO the Street Glide has got a slammin' look that you don't see very often. Around here, EGs are a dime a dozen, but you rarely see an SG. Just a thought...

[hr]

You all know me. You know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for yer, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:39 AM
FLHTC06
Advanced

all good answers.. but what do you want in the long run ? I went with the EGC, quick detach tour pack, hidden antennae and lower windshield for round town riding. Going on a trip and I have all the comforts that the extra storage brings and I go on several trips a year. It true that it is easier to make an EGC look like a SG for a LOT less $$$
. Get your 2007 parts book out and do the math, the EGC sounds like a better and it has a higher resell, but I trade bikes every 2 years

Old 12-28-2006, 01:57 AM
nada1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also trade every two years....love the SG look but I run around 15k a year, so really leanng toward the classic

Old 12-28-2006, 02:03 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

There is a thread posted showing the cost of "converting" an EG Classic to a Street Glide--it ain't cheap; but perhaps you don't care about the FLHX rear fender/LED, color-matched saddlebag latches, white faced gauges, long chrome fuel tank console, streamliner floor boards, etc.

If those features don't matter, buy the EG and be pleased with a good deal, especially when you sell off the stuff you don't want to keep on the EG. If those features are something you plan to add, just buy the SG. Also, wait another month or two and you will probably be able to buy the SG for less than MSRP, especially from cold weather dealers where riders store their bikes for the winter.

I have an '04 EG and have done a lot of the SG changes, including the rear fender/LED light, long chrome fuel console, fairing mount mirrors, auxillary light kit, etc. and am very happy with it. But it is not and won't become an SG. It can be donebut at some point I decided that there were just some things that weren't worth doing.

I would love to see a neat two-tone paint job on an SG.Most of the colors of the SG are real good, butafter a while it just seemstomy eye thatthere is too much cobalt blue, black cherry, black pearl, etc. So an EG done like an SG could be very cool.

You won't go wrong with either bike.And congratulations on the new bike; which ever you choose; and be sure to post pics.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:04 AM
daconiam
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Ultra and I am making the bax detachable. Got a new seat and a shorty windshield. The shorty and no box for daily commuter and the box and big seat for the long haul with the wife. Plus still have the Cruise control, CB, lowers, intercom, etc. and a cool commuter

Got the best of both worlds!

Old 12-28-2006, 02:52 AM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

Once you do the modifing to an EG Standard you had just as well got the StreetGlide.

Lights, lowering kit, powercoated bag latches, flhx tank dash, and the rear fender treatment led lower lights..
Also the custom gauges.

There are differences, and they are not suttle, the powder coated engine and chrome accents. (Not Polished Aluminum)

I was going to go this route, and traded it for a Ultra, the ultra had a bent frame, (Screwey Dealer) so I got the SG...
Took a real hit on Three bikes in 4 months, but I've got what I want now...

Old 12-28-2006, 04:03 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

aint got no black motor [][&:]
The standard has the silver motor the EG's is black.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:11 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

ORIGINAL: Richard

There are differences, and they are not suttle, the powder coated engine and chrome accents. (Not Polished Aluminum)

Thats funny my 05 EG didnt have ANY polished on the engine just chrome.

Just my .02 but I would go for the EG and do a detach and a solo, pull the bag guards and get a short windshield. More bike for less $$$ and you will live the tourpack for extended trips.

Quick Reply: Street Glide vs EG Classic