Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnum Cables - Anyone else have this happen? w/PICS

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
Not exactly...Mine are in fact Magnum cables. Here is a linl to the thread I started and a quoted portion.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...le-issues.html

Update:

This is the response from the lady in parts:

Hey, sorry I've been out of the store quite a bit lately and trying to get things cleared up before friday. I have emailed the pictures to the company and unfortunately they will not warranty the cable. It's not a matter of the cable leaking and rusting the lines but a matter of condensation getting in there based on the adjuster cover you have on the bike. Their words to me were that cables are not supposed to get wet and although they have a clear plastic protectant on them they are not waterproof so when a motocycle is washed ideally the cables should be avoided other than wiping them down. I know that this is not the answer you wanted to receive, however, I have talked to the General Manager here and he said that we could not replace at no charge but we could sell you a new cable at our cost to save you some money on the cable. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me or call and ask to speak to __ the parts manager or __our General Manager. Again I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and if there's anything we can do to help we will do our best to do so.

I love the part about "the cables are not supposed to get wet"

I went in today and told the service manager they ruined my clutch cable when they washed my bike right after installation. He gave a blank look and pretty much didn't know what to say. I should add we have a pretty good relationship so after some ribbing I went to speak to the new parts manager.

The new parts manager was very nice and much to my suprise seemed to know nothing of the issue. After telling him the story he looked up my account and tells me that I indeed have Magnum cabnles on my bike. What??? Yep...right there on the original work order. So why was I told they were Barnett? Nobody knows because she is no longer with us. Who did she send the pictures and complaint to?? He doesn't know.

I'm not sure where the "not supposed to get wet" comments came from? Maybe she sent the pics to Barnett or maybe she made it up? Who knows at this point.

The good news is the parts manager was a consumate professional. He went out and measured my cable and said he would be ordering me a new Harley cable at no charge. The service manager wasn't quite as accomodating seeing that they have already replaced this thing once at no charge he said they would do it for 1 hr labor. So now I've go to decide if I want to do or pay them?

So, my apologies to Barnett as the cable was not made by them. It is however a Magnum cable so...at this point I'm not sure if Magnum has even had a chance to respond to this particular issue? But the fact that both my clutch cables that failed miserably came from Magnum does give me pause...

Dude, that's some crazy stuff right there. What are you supposed to do when you get caught on the bike in some rain? Maybe you're right, and indeed the folks at Magnum didn't even get a chance to fix the issue.

When I spoke to them, the lady I dealt with mentioned that they had temp employees at one time. Could it be a scapegoat, I suppose, but maybe there is truth to that as well.

In the end, I was pleased that I didn't have to drop another $165 for a new lower. There really was no reason that it should have failed in the first place, aside from workmanship.

As for your clutch cable, I hope that the Harley cable resolves your problems. My clutch line on my SG is a hydraulic line, so no worries about water getting into the adjuster area.

On my Springer, I went with Barnett cables. I think their platinum finish is a little brighter, and they were a pleasure to work with too, as I called and ordered directly from them.

In fact, La Briola Jockey Shifts are optioned out with a Barnett Cable as well, if you elect for stainless. I had them bump it up to a platinum cable as well, for $4 more. Time will tell how these hold up, but so far, I'm a happy camper. Still waiting on the jockey shift that's going to be going on the Springer.

Again, sorry that you had a crummy experience, and I hope it's finally fixed!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:36 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the back pearl magnums and have been very happy with them.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:39 AM
WOLFMAN94
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive used black pearl cables on my last 2 bike, never had a problem.
I will say when I wash the bike I did notice that I get some water trapped between the clear shielding and the black weave material, but it dries out and hasnt been a problem.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:53 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

HarleyHeaven....the Harley cables are manufactured by Magnum......

Old 05-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
HarleyHeaven....the Harley cables are manufactured by Magnum......
Are you 100% sure on this? I'm trying to find black stainless extended lines that match the ones that came stock on my bike.....

Old 05-02-2012, 06:08 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes....I have both a Harley Diamondback and Magnum Chromite II on my Glide and they are indistinguishable. Plus I was told this by the local parts guy! Just like Kuryakyn makes parts for Harley also!

Old 05-16-2012, 03:16 PM
motorcycletom
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad Magnum took care of your brake line. I use their products also and have for years. I believe they do make the HD cables and brake lines also. As far as getting the bike wet, chrome doesn't like water, but you do have to wash it once in awhile. Maybe they mean don't power wash or wash your bike in a car wash. I've seen that before. Two guys shared the car wash and the one bike would start afterwards. lol!