Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnum Cables - Anyone else have this happen? w/PICS

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
What are the Alternatives to the Magnum cables? Will keep an eye on this to see what they tell you? New set of bars/cables is in my future.....
I put Barnett cables on my Heritage Springer. Both are very chromey!

Honestly though, Magnum Cables are one of the leaders. I really think this was a fluke thing.

I'll post a follow up after my phone call tomorrow.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Update: I've spoken to the nice people at Magnum and oddly enough, the lady remembered me and my order from last June when I started prepping for my winter mods, even though I went through Dr. VTwin.

They'll be reviewing things shortly, as the management and engineering team were in meetings at the time I called.

Should have more details later today.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Magnum asked me to send my lower line back so that they could evaluate it and determine if they'll warranty it.

What a pain, keeping fluid in the master cylinder after pulling off the lower. No matter how careful you are, that brake fluid is a mess. Glad I had things covered.

Hopefully I have a replacement soon....

Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 PM
03HD
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's too bad they aren't just sending you out a replacement. Hope you get it resolved soon! I have all magnum cables sitting in the garage waiting to magically appear on my bike with the Yaffe bars!

Last edited by 03HD; 04-03-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:25 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

It would be nice if they just sent you a replacement, but I can understand them wanting to see it first. I'll bet they will send a replacement after they take a look at it. They seem like a reputable company. I hope I'm right.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Update -

Magnum rebuilt the entire line (both legs and the main feeder line), all under warranty. I was only out shipping back to them for the repair.

Bike was only down two weeks, and that included my crazy schedule of school, work, and honey-do's.

I'm really happy with they way they took care of me, and won't hesitate to buy from them again. Apparently this was a fluke incident - they'd never seen this before.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by fish eye
Update -

Magnum rebuilt the entire line (both legs and the main feeder line), all under warranty. I was only out shipping back to them for the repair.

Bike was only down two weeks, and that included my crazy schedule of school, work, and honey-do's.

I'm really happy with they way they took care of me, and won't hesitate to buy from them again. Apparently this was a fluke incident - they'd never seen this before.

Good deal,glad to see they are a stand up company. I have their cables on my bike,and I'm happy to hear they took care of the problem.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Esuomm1
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for letting all of us know and glad you're happy.

Based on HH's quote, reading that and the fact that I rarely think these things are "flukes" they must have some issues somewhere.

They also wouldn't say they have seen this before for a myriad of reasons. A couple problems don't start a trend but it let's us have a bit more information when trying to make an informed purchase.

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
Good luck! There's been some discussion in the Softail Section with some different Magnum Cable issues. You can read here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...le-issues.html
Thanks again and hope all goes well going forward.

J

Old 04-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Esuomm1
Thank you for letting all of us know and glad you're happy.

Based on HH's quote, reading that and the fact that I rarely think these things are "flukes" they must have some issues somewhere.

They also wouldn't say they have seen this before for a myriad of reasons. A couple problems don't start a trend but it let's us have a bit more information when trying to make an informed purchase.

Thanks again and hope all goes well going forward.

J

Barnett and Magnum are two different companies. HH had a problem with Barnett.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 AM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Barnett and Magnum are two different companies. HH had a problem with Barnett.

Not exactly...Mine are in fact Magnum cables. Here is a linl to the thread I started and a quoted portion.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...le-issues.html

Update:

This is the response from the lady in parts:

Hey, sorry I've been out of the store quite a bit lately and trying to get things cleared up before friday. I have emailed the pictures to the company and unfortunately they will not warranty the cable. It's not a matter of the cable leaking and rusting the lines but a matter of condensation getting in there based on the adjuster cover you have on the bike. Their words to me were that cables are not supposed to get wet and although they have a clear plastic protectant on them they are not waterproof so when a motocycle is washed ideally the cables should be avoided other than wiping them down. I know that this is not the answer you wanted to receive, however, I have talked to the General Manager here and he said that we could not replace at no charge but we could sell you a new cable at our cost to save you some money on the cable. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me or call and ask to speak to __ the parts manager or __our General Manager. Again I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and if there's anything we can do to help we will do our best to do so.

I love the part about "the cables are not supposed to get wet"

I went in today and told the service manager they ruined my clutch cable when they washed my bike right after installation. He gave a blank look and pretty much didn't know what to say. I should add we have a pretty good relationship so after some ribbing I went to speak to the new parts manager.

The new parts manager was very nice and much to my suprise seemed to know nothing of the issue. After telling him the story he looked up my account and tells me that I indeed have Magnum cabnles on my bike. What??? Yep...right there on the original work order. So why was I told they were Barnett? Nobody knows because she is no longer with us. Who did she send the pictures and complaint to?? He doesn't know.

I'm not sure where the "not supposed to get wet" comments came from? Maybe she sent the pics to Barnett or maybe she made it up? Who knows at this point.

The good news is the parts manager was a consumate professional. He went out and measured my cable and said he would be ordering me a new Harley cable at no charge. The service manager wasn't quite as accomodating seeing that they have already replaced this thing once at no charge he said they would do it for 1 hr labor. So now I've go to decide if I want to do or pay them?

So, my apologies to Barnett as the cable was not made by them. It is however a Magnum cable so...at this point I'm not sure if Magnum has even had a chance to respond to this particular issue? But the fact that both my clutch cables that failed miserably came from Magnum does give me pause...

Quick Reply: Magnum Cables - Anyone else have this happen? w/PICS